Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Did you just dox me as Christy Brown?
    I don't know the reference, but if the shoe fits, yes?

Garden here is finally done. Green beans never made it but there were a lot of successes, great meals made, and just good times spent quietly in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7736.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	389524

Rats here in SLC were out of control this year though, digging beds up and trying to make new homes. I'm getting a new dog this year so I'm seriously considering a Rat Terrier. Considering how slow and big the rats move, I think it may be a total bloodbath if I get one. I'm guessing those dogs will also be good trail partners, if so it might be a done deal if I can find one easily.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I don't know the reference, but if the shoe fits, yes?
    Name:  Image1634658090.761044.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  19.4 KB

And not sure why I didn’t jump into this thread earlier. I’m a total amateur gardener (see: haphazardly plant some stuff like tomas and peppers, keep an herb garden for cooking, pay too little attention during the season and then forage for good stuff as I stumble around with a GandT in the fairer months. Want to up my game though.

Rat terriers are awesome but damn they are hyper, territorial, stubborn and smart. My buddy owns a logging company and his would just fly around the woods for the whole day dodging trees, disappearing for hours at a time and coming back to the truck at sundown pissed off that he only had 10 hours to look for vermin.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone in a cold climate (that's all of us, right?) Over winter peppers?

Half hearted attempt a few years back, might try it this winter again.

Scroll back up to see pics of my very healthy, very productive second year banana, lunchbox, and shishito peppers. They don't produce in winter and eventually lose their leaves, but they come right back and hit the ground running a solid month sooner than new transplants. Sunroom or other place to keep them above 50F is key.
    Last edited by climberevan; 10-19-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Scroll back up to see pics of my very healthy, very productive second year banana, lunchbox, and shishito peppers. They don't produce in winter and everything lose their leaves, but they come right back and got the ground running a solid month sooner than new transplants. Sunroom or other place to keep them above 50F is key.
    You cut them back at all or just let the leaves fall off?

Do they need sun?

Any repotting?

Mine are in 5 gallon buckets right now. If I can just out them in the basement I'm gonna nail this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

I had them in the sunroom until about late dec with lights and heat, but they didn't produce any new fruit anyway and got absolutely coated in aphids, so I turned off the lights and heat and just ignored them. All of the leaves fell off. I figured I'd just pull them in the spring when I needed the containers, but they started growing new leaves in april, IIRC. About 1/4 of them died completely.

The ones that came back produced as much as the new ones but started way earlier. They now have badass, tree-like trunks. I won't heat or light them this time. I expect them to keep going next year, but I'll have new starts seeded in case they don't.

I doubt putting them into complete darkness is the right call, but if that's your only option you don't have much to lose.

Rat terriers are awesome but damn they are hyper, territorial, stubborn and smart.
    That describes a few frequent posters here.

Garden 2021

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm getting a new dog this year so I'm seriously considering a Rat Terrier. Considering how slow and big the rats move, I think it may be a total bloodbath if I get one. I'm guessing those dogs will also be good trail partners, if so it might be a done deal if I can find one easily.
    my terrier is a great mouser. I’m sure rats would be within his repertoire too but we don’t have them around our house. I bet any terrier would due for your issues.
    ours is a pound terrier- even better for the scrappiness.

Rat terriers are awesome but damn they are hyper, territorial, stubborn and smart
    this is true but one great thing about little scrappy terriers is that they’re little so it’s easy to contain their rage
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    my terrier is a great mouser. I’m sure rats would be within his repertoire too but we don’t have them around our house. I bet any terrier would due for your issues.
    ours is a pound terrier- even better for the scrappiness.

this is true but one great thing about little scrappy terriers is that they’re little so it’s easy to contain their rage
    That's how you get bitten on the ankle. Do you want to get bitten on the ankle?

Getting close to the end of the tomatoes... had fresh caprese and bruschetta pomodoro last evening in an attempt to not waste any.

Pulled a few more cayenne and Hungarian peppers today. What's left is either ripening really slowly or getting partway there then starting to rot. I've got these plants I think are Mexican Sunflower and they're still going crazy with 50+ flowers per plant! I think every bee on the hill has been hanging out in my yard.

It's still going! Most of the tomatoes have turned so we'll be out of them in a week or so, but the chard soldiers on. We have a shitload of potatoes, beets, and carrots to dig up before the ground freezes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_180541.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	390722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_180537.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	390723

Final pepper pull today ahead of what looks like a hard freeze tonight. There's still a few dozen cayenne and the plants are still flowering, can I pull the unripe ones? Should I just use them or let them sit in a paper bag to ripen like tomatoes? I wish I could remember which of these that I took today are sweet cubanelles and which are hot wax, last time I got it wrong I was bummed Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211103_164920.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	391462

^ Following, I wasn't sure what to do so pulled the bulk of my peppers today. Nice haul, I really wish I did banana peppers this year, but a guy down the road was selling grocery store bags full of them for 5 bucks so that's pretty hard to resist.

If any pepper growers are into Korean food there's a side dish that uses the leaves of the pepper plants. GF is currently trying some different recipes and it's really good.

For reference https://hannaone.com/Recipe/gochunip-namul.html

Came back from a 3 weeks trip to find some tomatoes miraculously ripened on the last few plants we hadn't pulled before leaving. Great texture and taste, not sure how they fared so well given the cold spell. Maybe we pulled the rest prematurely, although we have about 30 lbs which ripened nicely on the kitchen table while we were gone. I nuked everything that was still standing last night and removed irrigation, ground cover, trellises, etc.. then let the chickens loose. They had a field days with all the stuff that was on the ground and the juicy worms that were hiding under the covers.
    I need to get pics of the 4 quarts of hot sauce currently fermenting. They're mixes of sweet and spicy peppers and were numbered in order of spiciness but the markings have disappeared. There's going to be some taste surprises if I get into the one that is 80% hot peppers first.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I don't remember which plants were sweet and which were hot so a bunch of these are gonna get chopped up and go in a really bold bbq sauce for a 5 pound brisket and to get added to whipped root veggies with the last turnips, parsnips and potatoes tomorrow.

I did a bunch of cleanup today, pulled the tomato vines and piled them along with all sorts of other stuff on a bed that needs a compost layer. Probably end up with lots of tasty volunteers there There's some more to do then the garlic will go in after the morning frost because there won't likely be another for at least a week so they can acclimate before going to sleep for the winter.

Hello Mags.....quick question for the collective. I have some leftover cedar from building the wife's garden beds. I would like to build her a small 6ft x 3ft greenhouse (lean to/single pitch style). Mainly it would be a place for her to start things in the spring. I have no idea if it would be warm enough in winter (cold frame) to grow in the winter. Obviously, at that size, it would probably not hold heat overnight as long, but heat up faster, correct? I have a nice south facing spot for it that gets lots of sun and is close to her raised beds.

A couple questions.....I was thinking making the roof really steep so along the back could be one set of shelves. I would think she will grow everything in Pots and not in the dirt.....so kill all the grass, double layer the weed lining and put some sort of plastic shelving on the ground that was a couple inches up?

How thick of poly panels should I use? Is the thicker the better? Like 16mm triple wall, 8mm double? Can you cut the stuff with a circular saw? Any suggestions for sourcing (found some places on line)?

Lastly...any of you have pics to share of your green houses? Anyone make a small one like this before?

Oh...and do any mags have bees? Thinking about putting a small hive on a shelf behind the garden....worried about bears though.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Carrots came in yesterday. Last bits of celery today. Was going overwinter my best pepper plants but due to space deiced to try cloning them instead. Not looking too hopeful so far lol.

This was the year of diseases for me. Bacterial wilt killed my cucumbers very early on. Then mosaic got my tomato's. I sacrificed my San Marzano patch bunch hoping to stop it but it eventually got to most of them in that area. Had few plants at the other side of my yard that didn't get it. Something unknown killed all my pumpkin and watermelon vines. Smut got my corn, that was a total write off. Good news was no slugs until late August, but earwigs were out of control all summer.

Greens did incredible at the start of summer, herbs have been solid, bok choy was good, peppers did outstanding. Happy with the carrots and celery. Beans and peas were ok. Garlic and onions were small but delicious.

Name:	20211105_181517.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	391838

Very impressive dildo collection.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Very impressive butt plug collection .
    fIfy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Very impressive dildo collection.
    PM Rontele
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Yanked the last of the peppers tonight.

Name:	20211205_175025.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	395452

favorite/best composter for kitchen and garden stuff? Needs to be black bear proof (and raccoons, skunks, and coyotes). Thx

I don't have one, but these are supposedly tested/certified by a provincial organization that is reputable: http://joracanada.ca/en/joracan-new-...ed-bear-proof/ Pricey though.

I use 3 earth machines, a fence, and malamute/karelian to keep criiters away from our compost, along with regular mixing and lots of brown to keep the smell down.

I think I'm gonna try making a spinner type out of an old barrel this winter. I like that they're off the ground and away from most of the bugs and if you use a black barrel you'll probably cook any bad shit and seeds so it's safer to use with your growing food.