Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

My 7 y/o nephew didn't look twice at em. Either he knows and doesn't care or isn't exactly the most observant kid.

The Wasatch front growing season is officially on. About 60 different seedlings started a couple days ago. The greenhouse stays around 50 overnight after Ms Boissal's aggressively insulated it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	messages_0 (1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	365712

Name:	messages_0 (2).jpg 
Size:	899.0 KB 
ID:	365713

Super eager lettuce sprouted in about 36 hours:

Name:  messages_0.jpeg
Views: 1245
Size:  79.8 KB

Regarding the other type of lettuce, Ms B is having trouble sourcing seeds. Anyone around here holding? I'll pay you in zucchinis
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The Wasatch front growing season is officially on. About 60 different seedlings started a couple days ago. The greenhouse stays around 50 overnight after Ms Boissal's aggressively insulated it.

Name:	messages_0 (1).jpg 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	365712

Name:	messages_0 (2).jpg 
Size:	899.0 KB 
ID:	365713

Super eager lettuce sprouted in about 36 hours:

Name:  messages_0.jpeg
Views: 1245
Size:  79.8 KB

Regarding the other type of lettuce, Ms B is having trouble sourcing seeds. Anyone around here holding? I'll pay you in zucchinis
    When are you guys usually able to put shit outside in your area? 'Cause around here starting things like tomatoes and zukes and similar non-hardy stuff earlier than the beginning of April is too soon. Plants get all big and root-bound long before it's time to put them outside...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    When are you guys usually able to put shit outside in your area? 'Cause around here starting things like tomatoes and zukes and similar non-hardy stuff earlier than the beginning of April is too soon. Plants get all big and root-bound long before it's time to put them outside...
    Memorial day is the recommended date based on historical data for last frost but the past couple of years we've transplanted things in the ground around May 1st and covered them when needed. I wanted to wait a bit longer to start most of the seedlings and focus on stuff that likes the cold but was overruled. I have 0 control over the greenhouse experiment at this point, Ms Boissal is the overlord.

One thing I've done in the past to help with root binding is transfer those little peat pods into plastic solo cups full of dirt. It gives the roots some room and I've had tomatoes grow to solid 2' tall plants in those cups while the outside temps were still too low. The downside is that plants get transplanted twice and they don't like it much.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

That rug really ties the room together.

<snip>
    One thing I've done in the past to help with root binding is transfer those little peat pods into plastic solo cups full of dirt. It gives the roots some room and I've had tomatoes grow to solid 2' tall plants in those cups while the outside temps were still too low. The downside is that plants get transplanted twice and they don't like it much.
    Yeah - I've done that as well... and had the same experience. They really seem to dislike the multiple transplants.

Yeah - I've done that as well... and had the same experience. They really seem to dislike the multiple transplants.
    We start stuff in 4" pots straight away to avoid the double move.

This year I'm going to have a 4-level setup with crazy lights, drip lines, and PID controlled heat. The key for us is to automate everything because a small mistake with temp or water can be deadly.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Minion View Post
    That rug really ties the room together.
    I'm glad someone noticed. You can tell this is Ms Boissal's space and not mine, there would be bare dirt and more chaos if it were.

Yeah... Ima hold off until all the kids are out of the house (only 1 to go).
    Same. Except I think I have to wait until the youngest is 21 (5 more years...) just because of the type of person he is. That and I can't grow outside here because the other local teenagers will clean me out.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Same. Except I think I have to wait until the youngest is 21 (5 more years...) just because of the type of person he is. That and I can't grow outside here because the other local teenagers will clean me out.
    So you're gonna be like 70 before you can grow? GODDAMMIT!!

So you're gonna be like 70 before you can grow? GODDAMMIT!!
    Hardly. I'll barely qualify for a senior discount by then.

Got our seeds started for onions, peppers, tomatoes, some basil. Gonna get some more greens going too. Got 4 trays to fill for now. Everything else will go directly in the ground in few months.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Got our seeds started for onions, peppers, tomatoes, some basil. Gonna get some more greens going too. Got 4 trays to fill for now. Everything else will go directly in the ground in few months.
    will also start some broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, peppers in solo cups here soon.
    I have good luck with onions from starters as opposed to seeds. straight into the ground with em.

absolutely can't wait for garden meals. caesar with garden romaine!!
    north bound horse.

You all motivated me to make my decisions for my plot this year and order seeds.

Thanks.

Maybe it’s climate differences but I’ve read (epic tomatoes) that tomatoes like multiple transplants. Night shades will grow roots along buried stems, so pluck the lowest leaves and plant them a little deeper w each transplant gicpves a stronger root system.

Boissal: I have at least a half dozen different types of lettuce seeds to share. Pm an address if she is still trying to find seeds. I’ll send a care package.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Maybe it’s climate differences but I’ve read (epic tomatoes) that tomatoes like multiple transplants. Night shades will grow roots along buried stems, so pluck the lowest leaves and plant them a little deeper w each transplant gicpves a stronger root system.

Boissal: I have at least a half dozen different types of lettuce seeds to share. Pm an address if she is still trying to find seeds. I’ll send a care package.
    Oooooooh sweet, thanks for the offer, PM incoming!

Re: transplants, I've noticed that tomatoes tolerate them better than anything else. The 1st seedlings then to be super gangly and I usually pluck the lowest leaves and bury at least 1/2 of the stem when I transplant. They look pissed for 2-3 days then come back with a vengance and grow much sturdier than the ones that stay in the original pot. The buried stem roots thing is definitely real, I'm always shocked when I pull the plants at the end of the year and realize there's 10" of stem underground with massive roots radiating all up and down the stem. Last year I broke a couple plants when pulling them after a hard frost and left the roots in place. The chickens have been digging one out for the past couple of weeks and are getting absolutely nowhere, that root ball is way too big for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    +1

Our season is so short we have to start inside in March, and transplant. Multiple times: starter tray -> solo cup -> yogurt container -> ground. The risk being if they get started too soon before going into the ground, they can get root bound (learned the hard way with this last year). Still a decent yield, just kinda stunted them. I think they just stayed in their last container too long before going in the ground.
    north bound horse.

Some tomatoes already sprouting!

Name:	IMG_1241.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	367515

^^^^ nice!

We're finally getting a good handle on temperature regulation inside the greenhouse. Much more variable than inside the house obviously but the plants seem to enjoy it:

Name:	PXL_20210315_160001960 (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	367520

One of the squashes germinated upside down, I had never seen that. Leaves in the dirt and a bunch of roots straight up into the air. I transplanted it upside down, we'll see if it survives.

^^^^ nice!

One of the squashes germinated upside down, I had never seen that. Leaves in the dirt and a bunch of roots straight up into the air. I transplanted it upside down, we'll see if it survives.
    Squash are kinda like the black labs of the plant kingdom.

Boissal:

https://www.seedstrust.com has plenty of lettuces and greens to choose from.

^^^^ nice!

We're finally getting a good handle on temperature regulation inside the greenhouse. Much more variable than inside the house obviously but the plants seem to enjoy it:

Name:	PXL_20210315_160001960 (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	367520

Did you have the greenhouse last year or is that a new addition? Looks very nice. Curious about size / manufacturer / assembly / where ya got it etc? I daydream about getting one but don’t really have space in yard currently.

Damn I love a kinky squash.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Did you have the greenhouse last year or is that a new addition? Looks very nice. Curious about size / manufacturer / assembly / where ya got it etc? I daydream about getting one but don’t really have space in yard currently.
    The greenhouse went up this winter, it's Ms Boissal new project and I've been completely uninvolved. It has a 6x10 footprint and is 7' tall in the center. Palram HG5010 Mythos Hobby Greenhouse, probably from Amazon. Apparently the assembly was hellacious but that may be due to the fact that se did it on her own on a really windy day. The instructions clearly state 2 people are a must but Ms B can be stubborn and if she's got something planned she's not waiting for anyone to help.

The structure is all aluminum + plastic and seems pretty flimsy at first but once it's screwed into a wooden frame on the ground it feels really sturdy. There were a few parts with missing holes, some gaps here and there since the whole thing is a bit flexible during assembly, but overall it's working really well. She insulated the whole N wall with foil-backed foam board and added bubble wrap on all the sides that see the sun for a bit more warmth in the winter. We ran a couple of big extension cord out there to run all the lights. There's a fan that kicks on when the temperature gets too high and one of the roof panels is mounted on a hinge that opens on its own at a certain temperature. Everything is basically plugged into temperature sensors to try and keep things more or less steady. The heat lamp seems to come in a few times during the night when the temps drop below 40 at night.

Any apiarists in here? For the first time in my expereince, it seems like we have a small honeybee colony in our compost bin. We have a couple of those conical composters, and I rotate them so that we start with an empty one in the late fall, and so there has been very little degradation of the material so far. Temps are now around 10C most afternoons, with mild freezing temps over night, and a few days ago I noticed the little ladies flying in and out of the composter. They seem to be coming out from under a few layers, and definitely are not flying from elsewhere to source out any fruit or cut flower remains that are in there. They are still pretty docile and not aggressive at all, and I hope they leave of their own accord, but it seems very early for such departure around here. Any thoughts? I'll be searching out a local apiarist in a couple weeks if they are still there and see if they can remove the swarm. Love the bees and certainly don't want to destroy them, but this location will need to be a temporary abode for sure.