Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I am curious if anyone is buying the Hoji Pro with the speed nose ?
    A bunch of people bought them because they were cheap last year, then returned them when they found out they couldn't use them to go downhill in their new Shift bindings.

I definitely laugh at the idea that this class of boots isn't chargy enough. Guides, ski patrollers, regular rippers and the likes have been skiing faster and harder than 95% of the skiing public for decades on rubber soled touring boots wedged in alpine binders.

If you want a stiffer boot or it is required for your style, go do it. But why opinion is that a large majority of people skiing a 130 boot are using it as a crutch. The best way to get better at skiing is to ski more. Boots need to fit, not be stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I definitely laugh at the idea that this class of boots isn't chargy enough. Guides, ski patrollers, regular rippers and the likes have been skiing faster and harder than 95% of the skiing public for decades on rubber soled touring boots wedged in alpine binders.

If you want a stiffer boot or it is required for your style, go do it. But why opinion is that a large majority of people skiing a 130 boot are using it as a crutch. The best way to get better at skiing is to ski more. Boots need to fit, not be stiff.
    Sure, but also a boot with some progressiveness is easier to charge in the resort on than an ultra stiff boot made of Grilamid.

I use a maestrale RS for everything - resort, bc and late season skimo. If anything, I'd add a lighter late season climbing boot. But I find the RS to be enough boot - albeit with a wrap liner and voile straps (vs the stock velco power straps). Also, super comfy walking from the car and back in!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    A bunch of people bought them because they were cheap last year, then returned them when they found out they couldn't use them to go downhill in their new Shift bindings.
    speed nose was a dumb idea on a freeride boot IMO

I have heard of people who had bought a new ski & binding setup which was incompatible with the shark nose that comes out the next year

The Hoji fit them but they could not afford or were just not about to buy an entire new setup
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

I generally agree but will say that for us bigger folk, the stiffness really is necessary. Back before I was pushing 250, i used 115s without issue.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    If you're not sure how much backcountry touring you're going to do, but you enjoy ripping the resort get the XT3, Cochise (maybe wait for the new model next year), or Dalbello Lupo HD.

The Salomon Shift, K2 Mindbender, et al. might be sufficient but they won't ski as well.

The ZeroG, Hawx XTD, etc will not satisfy you in the resort if you rip.

Not sure why folks are saying this more. Real curious on the Lupo isn't at the top of any 50/50 list.

With the tongue removed, its got similar ROM to touring specific boots while having similar performance to a Krypton. Not really sure what else meets that mark. I've got a Lupo and MTN Lab, I gravitate towards the labs for touring only because I dont need to stash the tongues, and transitioning is a little quicker. If I had to have one boot, to meet both needs, I can't think of something that would be better suited for my skiing style both in a resort and on longer 4000' touring days.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I'm partial to Lange XT Free 130's from a few years back. The alpine soles can swap out for the tread (climbing) soles which I've never used. Very good fit out of the box, warm, and they ski as well as I'll need. With tour liners, enough ROM to work as full tour boot and pretty easy on and off. I did plant a penny between the sole / boot at the toe to accommodate ATK's, the alpine din sole isn't as thick so needed that extra couple mm to engage the pin "trigger". With different liners and the minimal soles, weigh a tad less than Zero G pro tours do stock. Not bad for a 4 buckle overlap boot.

What do you guys think about the Fulltilt Ascendent SC boot?

edit - while I'm here, what do you think about the Line Vision 118 ski?
    Last edited by shera; 03-05-2021 at 05:08 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    What do you guys think about the Fulltilt Ascendent SC boot?

edit - while I'm here, what do you think about the Line Vision 118 ski?
    Skis really well, but it’s a boat. But if you have a wide foot, the value and fit really can’t be beat for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Skis really well, but it’s a boat. But if you have a wide foot, the value and fit really can’t be beat for the money.
    Hey that is good info, thanks! I do have a wide forefoot, like a duck.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hey that is good info, thanks! I do have a wide forefoot, like a duck.
    You Have wide feet, or you have bunion on your big toe or small toe knuckle, if you have a wide foot all the way through buy a wide boot, if you a bunion(s) a punch is pretty cheap and WAY better. Second A lot of ppl spend a lot of money shaving off grams, If you are doing serious elevation gains ( and a lot of ppl in here do ) then you justify it, but there are also a lot of us who could take a lot more uphill grams out of our guts than our gear. Third, if you think you want a touring boot, just for the lightweight, and the walk mode for the trek across teh parking lot, and standing in the lunch line at the chalet, don't do it.
    Growing up I was a very technical skier at a tiny ski hill, now when I go back, I just take the whole thing in ... with flexion, then extension. And yeah I am over it.

Quote Originally Posted by cobblehiller View Post
    You Have wide feet, or you have bunion on your big toe or small toe knuckle, if you have a wide foot all the way through buy a wide boot, if you a bunion(s) a punch is pretty cheap and WAY better. Second A lot of ppl spend a lot of money shaving off grams, If you are doing serious elevation gains ( and a lot of ppl in here do ) then you justify it, but there are also a lot of us who could take a lot more uphill grams out of our guts than our gear. Third, if you think you want a touring boot, just for the lightweight, and the walk mode for the trek across teh parking lot, and standing in the lunch line at the chalet, don't do it.
    Only a boot guy would want to know these icky foot details!

Yes, I really have a duck foot, wide forefoot and narrow ankle/heel area. But my right foot does have a bone growth that need punching. My right foot is about half a size bigger than the left, so annoying.

I ski on Full Tilt Soul Sisters(for so many years), I replaced the tongue with an 8 for a little more support. Seems to be a soggy boot, especially when it's warm outside and it's lightweight. But I can ski it fine...used to it. And it's comfortable for teaching.

This conversation is reminding me, some years back I got a pair of Full Tilt MaryJane boots and the toe box had a completely different shape than the Soul Sister, with a lot more volume. Maybe the Ascension has that shape to it.

This thread is about a one boot quiver so these new "alpine boots with walk mode and a vibram sole" seem to fit the bill. The tech/dynafit is a bonus. In my mind, a one quiver boot for the general public would perform well in softer bumps all the way to shorter/slackish tours. Do you agree with that?

For full on touring, I've been using Dynafit Zeus for many years now, cheap replacements on ebay. I also teach in those boots sometimes because of the walk mode. I even ski bumps with them cranked down really tight, haha.

Honestly I didn't even look at the weight of the boot - if the Ascension is lightweight but still skis solid, that's great and would be an improvement for me.
    Last edited by shera; 03-06-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Henry David Thoreau

Only a boot guy would want to know these icky foot details!

Yes, I really have a duck foot, wide forefoot and narrow ankle/heel area. But my right foot does have a bone growth that need punching. My right foot is about half a size bigger than the left, so annoying.

I ski on Full Tilt Soul Sisters(for so many years), I replaced the tongue with an 8 for a little more support. Seems to be a soggy boot, especially when it's warm outside and it's lightweight. But I can ski it fine...used to it. And it's comfortable for teaching.

This conversation is reminding me, some years back I got a pair of Full Tilt MaryJane boots and the toe box had a completely different shape than the Soul Sister, with a lot more volume. Maybe the Ascension has that shape to it.

This thread is about a one boot quiver so these new "alpine boots with walk mode and a vibram sole" seem to fit the bill. The tech/dynafit is a bonus. In my mind, a one quiver boot for the general public would perform well in softer bumps all the way to shorter/slackish tours. Do you agree with that?

For full on touring, I've been using Dynafit Zeus for many years now, cheap replacements on ebay. I also teach in those boots sometimes because of the walk mode. I even ski bumps with them cranked down really tight, haha.

Honestly I didn't even look at the weight of the boot - if the Ascension is lightweight but still skis solid, that's great and would be an improvement for me.
    Baby Bear skis ascendants. She loves them. I bet if you hit her up she would give you a really good female 411 on them. They are lightish, they ski well and the cuff is short enough for unisex. The ROM in the walk mode is great. My other half skis the roxa 105w I believe. In all honesty look into the roxa, and I might even tilt that way just because it is a woman’s boot and it’s still a three piece.

Baby Bear skis ascendants. She loves them. I bet if you hit her up she would give you a really good female 411 on them. They are lightish, they ski well and the cuff is short enough for unisex. The ROM in the walk mode is great. My other half skis the roxa 105w I believe. In all honesty look into the roxa, and I might even tilt that way just because it is a woman’s boot and it’s still a three piece.
    Ok, more good info, thank you.

Roxa sounds very interesting, but I can't get a form on those. I'm also kinda hooked on full tilt, both the tongue flex pattern with the cables and the intuition wrap liners. Maybe I'm just being mental about it...

edit - I looked up some weights. The soul sister weighs 4.2 lbs each and the Ascension SC (that's the stiffer one) weighs 4.1 lbs. The Ascension also has a beefy tongue on it, a 10 which seems equivalent to 120 flex, more than I'm on now...
    Henry David Thoreau

Henry David Thoreau

Ok, more good info, thank you.

Roxa sounds very interesting, but I can't get a form on those. I'm also kinda hooked on full tilt, both the tongue flex pattern with the cables and the intuition wrap liners. Maybe I'm just being mental about it...

edit - I looked up some weights. The soul sister weighs 4.2 lbs each and the Ascension SC (that's the stiffer one) weighs 4.1 lbs. The Ascension also has a beefy tongue on it, a 10 which seems equivalent to 120 flex, more than I'm on now...
    Roxa and full tilt are made in the same factory I believe. And I am pretty sure roxa is full tilts parent company or they are partners or something.

The SC is grilamid and the regular isn’t or the other way around. The sc has a booster strap as well. Other then that I don’t think they are that different.

Throw my answer into the ring.

After blowing the hell out of the ankles I ski the hoji free with a fairly stiff intuition liner basically every day, never had such good allrounder. They retired my xt freetour and tlt6s

Still have race boots and extra light tourers though

Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    I'm looking at getting new boots and have only ever skied resorts but I'm looking to get into skiing back country. Can anyone give me any advice on good hybrid boots or have any experience with boots like technica Cochise 130, atomic hawk prime, k2, Lange?
    I'm using my nordica strider 120s for all inbounds + some touring, dynafit mercury for the rest of the touring. It is an excellent boot. It feels like a real alpine boot when it's all buttoned up. The walk mode is more than adequate. The weight penalty is the only reason I'm keeping the mercuries around. About 2000g in a 28.5. Those are the only two boots I need!

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Roxa and full tilt are made in the same factory I believe. And I am pretty sure roxa is full tilts parent company or they are partners or something.

The SC is grilamid and the regular isn’t or the other way around. The sc has a booster strap as well. Other then that I don’t think they are that different.
    I think , i feel, i believe, maybe,

no i'm pretty sure you are guessing, or something ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Roxa and full tilt are made in the same factory I believe.
    At one point, Roxa made the 102mm lasted Full Tilts in their factory, that changed when K2 bought Dalbello. Now all the Full Tilts are made at Dalbello, as well as the K2 boots.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    At one point, Roxa made the 102mm lasted Full Tilts in their factory, that changed when K2 bought Dalbello. Now all the Full Tilts are made at Dalbello, as well as the K2 boots.
    Thanks Greg. I knew you would help me with that. I couldn’t remember what was what with them, but I knew they all had sex with each other at some point.

I've ordered new liners, outsoles, and bottom buckles for my souls sisters. That should get me through the rest of this season. Like I said before, my boots can collapse when the temps warm up, really feel it in the bumps. Hoping a new liner will beef things up a bit.

I need to get into a shop to try on a couple of different sizes of the ascendant and see what is up with the toe box. Maybe I can cram my foot down into a 25.0.

I'm trying to study the differences with the new SC model on the website. This is what I have so far:

Ascendant Aproach:
    1820grams @ 27.5
    Grilamid
    tongue liner
    touring soles

Ascendant SC:
    1970grams @ 27.5
    wrap liner
    quick release strap (power strap?)
    no touring soles (replaceable)

Seems to be that Approach boot skews to touring and SC skews to inbounds. I am def interested in the SC...
    Henry David Thoreau

I believe in having dedicated resort and touring boots, because touring boots develop some next-level funk compared to boots you ride lifts with. If I skied all of my days in only one pair of boots/liners, I would have to trade the 4Runner in for a pickup, because that single pair of boots would be too stanky to drive around with in the car.

One thing to consider is a lot of longtime fulltilt/flexon skiers are skiing that roxa 130. I think if FT had just stuck with the fit and function we’re all used to and added some touring capability instead of trying to rework the fit and function nobody would have jumped ship.