Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    7

    Best one boot quiver/hybrid?

    I'm looking at getting new boots and have only ever skied resorts but I'm looking to get into skiing back country. Can anyone give me any advice on good hybrid boots or have any experience with boots like technica Cochise 130, atomic hawk prime, k2, Lange?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,292
    The one that fits your foot the best.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    This ^^

    i tried it with convertible soles in the old garmonts but In general i found 1 boot was too much of a compromise
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The one that fits your foot the best.
    Not necessarily, most experienced skiers shop for AT and hybrid boots based on weight and features and find someone (bootfitter) to make them fit their feet. The fit options are far fewer than with alpine boots.

    Best? You need to ask yourself some questions:

    How much actual touring will I be doing (you may not know)?
    What sort of trips will I be doing?
    Height/weight?
    What's my preferred style of skiing at the resort?
    What ski/binding setup are you driving with this boot?
    What size/shape is your foot/ankle/calf? (check out the foot scanner thread and scan your feet if you don't know how to answer this)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    7
    thanks for this reply! definitely going to go to a shop and check them out. I just didn't know if there was like one or two that were the go to/ reliable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2a42 View Post
    thanks for this reply! definitely going to go to a shop and check them out. I just didn't know if there was like one or two that were the go to/ reliable.
    Someone on TGR will have broken something/have something to complain about with any of them, but for the most part all the current generation - Tecnica Zero G/Cochise, Hawx Ultra/Prime XTD, Lange XT3, Nordica Strider, Rossignol Alltrack, K2 Mindbender, Head KORE, Roxa R3, Dalbello Lupo/Lupo AX, Salomon Shift Pro, etc. are all damn reliable. Some tour better than others, some ski better than others.

    New boots to look out for include 2022 Cochise, 2022 Dalbello Quantum Free 130, 2022 Lange XT3 Tour Pro.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,947
    You’ll end up with a boot quiver


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    You’ll end up with a boot quiver
    Already have one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,277
    How many boots is enough for the boot quiver?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    n + 1 ?

    YMMV but I like the sub 1400 gram Vulcan (with pwrap) will drive any ski

    a 4buckle alpine overlap, way too many skis and call er good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,277
    If you're not sure how much backcountry touring you're going to do, but you enjoy ripping the resort get the XT3, Cochise (maybe wait for the new model next year), or Dalbello Lupo HD.

    The Salomon Shift, K2 Mindbender, et al. might be sufficient but they won't ski as well.

    The ZeroG, Hawx XTD, etc will not satisfy you in the resort if you rip.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    n + 1 ?

    YMMV but I like the sub 1400 gram Vulcan (with pwrap) will drive any ski

    a 4buckle alpine overlap, way too many skis and call er good
    I've been skiing mercuries since they came out. Had a four buckle alpine boot for a while, but sold it recently since the mercury is all I need at my height/weight/skiing style. I've been so happy with them that I stopped following new boots. But now that 5-6 years have gone by...

    I've been pondering the question: what boot next? Seems like the mercury/vulcan is a classic example of "ahead of its time". Are there any new boots that have great range of motion, ski well enough inbounds, and are sub 1400g? Should I look into the Hoji frees?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    563
    What boot are you in now, do you like it, how much work have you had done to them, do you like how they ski, how they fit?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    181
    Really like my Roxa R3's. Last years boot was a big improvement in flex profile over previous.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    I've been skiing mercuries since they came out. Had a four buckle alpine boot for a while, but sold it recently since the mercury is all I need at my height/weight/skiing style. I've been so happy with them that I stopped following new boots. But now that 5-6 years have gone by...

    I've been pondering the question: what boot next? Seems like the mercury/vulcan is a classic example of "ahead of its time". Are there any new boots that have great range of motion, ski well enough inbounds, and are sub 1400g? Should I look into the Hoji frees?
    I've been in merury since 2012 and then vulcan which is virtualy the same shell

    yes try the hoji free, i tried on the 110 and I think it would work for my foot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,300
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    n + 1 ?

    YMMV but I like the sub 1400 gram Vulcan (with pwrap) will drive any ski

    a 4buckle alpine overlap, way too many skis and call er good
    That won't work for us big, fat roundeyes. Need much beefier boots to "drive any ski".
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    680
    Lots of good info in here if you're looking for a boot that will do well at the resort but can also tour. Lupo, Cochise, Hawx XTD, XT3 seem to be some of the favorites. X2 on get the one that fits.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...oot?highlight=

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    That won't work for us big, fat roundeyes. Need much beefier boots to "drive any ski".
    big fat amelican should try Hoji 130 free but they only go down to 25

    I would go with the 115 free cuz small AZN needs size 24 (centuries of foot binding eh ) the 115 goes to 23

    people say the 1 lever thing is a bigger deal than you would think

    a bit heavier at 1550grams for 26
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,754
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    big fat amelican should try Hoji 130 free but they only go down to 25

    I would go with the 115 free cuz small AZN needs size 24 (centuries of foot binding eh ) the 115 goes to 23
    the hoji free 130s recently became my one boot quiver (well, sorta. i still have some lupos that see the light of day every so often). i used ZGTPs earlier in the season and i gotta say, the hojis win the stiffness comparison. they are practically an alpine 130. as far as touring capability goes, they are near perfect. ROM is great and the hoji-lock system doesn't get enough love.

    the stock Sidas liner is great and features that adjustable tongue thing which i love.

    i hear of instep issues but i have had none with my medium-high instep. the on and off can be finicky so similar to the ZGTP in that regard.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    I am curious if anyone is buying the Hoji Pro with the speed nose ?

    Dynatfit hadn't made a big boot that wasnt a loser since the Vulcan,

    the Khion and the Beast were losers

    they almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the Hoji pro
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,268
    I don't have a scale -- is the Vulcan sans tongue with Intuition is <1300g? Is that for the 24?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I don't have a scale -- is the Vulcan sans tongue with Intuition is <1300g? Is that for the 24?
    Vulcan shell, no booster or 3rd buckle or tounge: 1100

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    916
    Size 25/25.5^^^

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,621
    With tongues a 24Vulcan with a pwrwrp, no power strap so a skiable boot is 1375

    I seem to remember the tongue weighs 61 grams

    i got them crazy cheap soon as Dynafit announced the end of product so they are still plenty fresh

    what really happened is Dynafit kept making Vulcan because it was such a winner while Khion and beast were such losers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,754
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I am curious if anyone is buying the Hoji Pro with the speed nose ?

    Dynatfit hadn't made a big boot that wasnt a loser since the Vulcan,

    the Khion and the Beast were losers

    they almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the Hoji pro
    i owned hoji pros before i got the frees. alright boot and fit is virtually the same but just not enough stiffness for my fatass.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •