Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Elan Ripstick 106 2021 Review

Hey tgr,

More Covid gear swapping.....I have sold my Bentchetler 120s with Shifts and Backland 100 with MTNs.....as I'm not doing much bc in Covid times (no Mt Baker this year or Powder Highwyay....and Whistler I seem to only do quick sidecountry laps)....so started looking for a mid-100mm, sidecountry one-ski quiver ski that is somewhat light, but doesn't suck inbounds, for mounting with Salomon Shifts.

My buddy tele's on a pair of 2020 Ripsticks. And he likes them. Not that tele is a relevant comparison, but we ride the chair together often and I kept looking at his 2020 Ripsticks....and their shape/look/weight got to me.

Plus there's the whole Glen Plake thing.....

PLAKE’S PICK
    The Ripstick 106 is the ultimate freeride ski for any terrain. From boundary line to base lodge, peak to parking lot, and trailhead to tailgate this ski excels in all conditions. No wonder it’s Glen’s favorite ski from the Elan collection!

I had a Corbett's coupon a few weeks back, that got me 2021 Ripsticks delivered to my house for $540 CDN all in, including taxes.

Also, I read the 2021 Ripsticks are supposed to be a bit stiffer than the 2020s (more carbon tubes), like the previous year's "Black Version" of the Ripsticks.

So I bought them and mounted with Shifts at -7.2 from center (which is at +2.5cm mark on the ski). Rec is -9.7cm. There are marks on the ski for +3cm to - 3cm, ie from -6.7 to- 12.7, so they must have a big sweet spot. I like when companies do this.

Specs are 180cm (measure more like a 179cm), 143mm-106mm-120mm, radius 18m, 1850gm per ski?

I skied these yesterday for the first time. Got them in some steep chalky bumps, a bit of windblown pow and some groomers on Blackcomb. About 6" of one day old fresh. Holy shit! These things literally "ripped". I was coming off a morning skiing my 2021 Blizzard Rustler 11s....and was really surprised how sturdy/solid the 2021 Ripsticks felt. The 2021s are not "dentist" skis. Yes the are light (~3,700 gm for my pair) but they did not feel tingy at all.

Impressed most by how they grab and hold as you roll the ski on edge....dimensions of the Ripstick (140-106-120) are very similar to my Volkl M102 (140-102-123) and like the M102s, as you engage the ski, the big tip grabs and pulls you into the turn. They are not M102s (which are rock solid), but they do grip very well, and hold in fast GS turns...I could really push on the outside ski. The asymm works as when you do push on that outside ski, with it's longer effective edge, and the carbon along that same inside edge, they really bite. Not quite as slarvy in bumps as my Rustlers, when skiing neutral stance, due to the Ripstick's flatter tail, but in they release nicely when I wanted them too. Way easier to ski than M102s. Lighter and less like a tank. But still stable enough that you can ski them hard.

Pretty sweet ski for my Shifts. Will add more later as I ski them.

Anyone else tried these or the 96 or 116?

Specifically the stiffer 2021s? (Which I think are like the Black Versions from previous years?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F4F7BAB-0F1B-4C26-A638-3FA277E2D149.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	364122

Name:	IMG_9676.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	364123
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-22-2021 at 10:21 PM.

The 2020 Black Edition and the 2021 Ripstick 106 have the same number of carbon tubes in them (2). They are basically the same ski, since the 2021 Ripsticks added the extra carbon layer on the inner edge from the tip to the binding area, which is essentially what the 2020 Black Ed had. You'll notice that carbon layer under the skin of your 106's.

The new 2021 Black Edition has the QuadRod, where the standard has 2 carbon rods. The idea is that QuadRod makes the skis stiffer and more damp, without a weight penalty. I skied these a couple weeks ago, and the Black Ed is not just hype... They also have the inner edge carbon layer running the length of the ski, rather then just tip to binding area. I have the 2021 88 & 96 Ripsticks now, and the 2020 106 & 116. I'll be getting the 2022 Black Ed 96 & 106 next season FOR SURE.

The Ripstick is hands down one of the best skis I've ever ridden. Great edge hold, light, calm on the snow, playful when you want it to be. Elan checked ALL the boxes with this ski.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    The 2020 Black Edition and the 2021 Ripstick 106 have the same number of carbon tubes in them (2). They are basically the same ski, since the 2021 Ripsticks added the extra carbon layer on the inner edge from the tip to the binding area, which is essentially what the 2020 Black Ed had. You'll notice that carbon layer under the skin of your 106's.

The new 2021 Black Edition has the QuadRod, where the standard has 2 carbon rods. The idea is that QuadRod makes the skis stiffer and more damp, without a weight penalty. I skied these a couple weeks ago, and the Black Ed is not just hype... They also have the inner edge carbon layer running the length of the ski, rather then just tip to binding area. I have the 2021 88 & 96 Ripsticks now, and the 2020 106 & 116. I'll be getting the 2022 Black Ed 96 & 106 next season FOR SURE.

The Ripstick is hands down one of the best skis I've ever ridden. Great edge hold, light, calm on the snow, playful when you want it to be. Elan checked ALL the boxes with this ski.
    Thanks, basically what I had read...that the 2021 construction updates with the added layer of carbon = 2020 Black Edition.

I was really surprised how much I felt at home on these Ripsticks....I've been skiing Enforcers, M102s and Rustlers which all have metal for past ski 25 days. The 2021 Ripstick was smooth and stable, it's not super heavy like a M102, but it still has good bite/solid feel on firm snow...even though its pretty light. Great feel from the first turn....so fun and quick. It's pretty versatile. PS - it also has a skin attachment in the tail....perfect for a bc sidecountry ski with Shifts.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-28-2021 at 01:34 PM.

I kind of thot they had some wierd sizing but they were cheap and i heard good things so i thot about getting a pair ... got hurt instead
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I kind of thot they had some wierd sizing but they were cheap and i heard good things so i thot about getting a pair ... got hurt instead
    They have been known to size short....but I think that was more an issue for 2020 Ripsticks and prior.

eg I have a 2021 180cm Ripstick 106. My buddy has last year's 2019 181cm Ripstick. They the exact same length.

And I would say my 180cm RS is really a 178-179cm...so take a few cm off of the 2020s and that is probably the comparable length to other brands.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-28-2021 at 01:35 PM.

well elan needed a ski that sez 184 on it , insted you gotta figure out do i go bigger or smaller ?

or just get hurt and solve the dilemma

That's one way to get out of buying new gear, but I don't recommend it highly... Bummer man - vibezzz..... Best of luck on the recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    They have been known to size short....but I think that was more an issue for 2020 Ripsticks and prior.

eg I have a 2021 180cm Ripstick 106. My buddy has last year's 2029 181cm Ripstick. They the exact same length?

And I would say my 180cm is really a 179cm...so take a few cm off of the 2020s and that is the comparable length.
    They have always been a tad shorter than marked. With the old construction, I was always better off on the 188 if I was planning to ski wide open. That wasn't necessary on the 2021, although I would say it is still a bit more of a "finesse" ski than a crusher. The 2022 Black Ed. fixed that though - I skied both, and even though the 188 was manageable, I could push pretty hard on the 180, and I think it's a far more versatile ski that can handle more power. The 188 kinda took me where it wanted to go. That said, a 184 would be PERFECT, but I now have NO reservations on going with the 180. Also much more fun to be had in trees and tight spots with the 180.

well elan needed a ski that sez 184 on it , insted you gotta figure out do i go bigger or smaller ?

or just get hurt and solve the dilemma
    If you go with the Black Ed next season, see above...
    Last edited by axebiker; 02-21-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Ripstick 96 is by far, my favorite ski of all time.
    I use the the first generation as a touring ski now and grabbed a new pair this year as an east coast daily driver

Name:	Image1613948186.709663.jpg 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	364156
    crab in my shoe mouth

Big fan of my RipStick 116, 193s for an All Mountain, Western Ski. Skis short for its length, turns quick, floats, but charges through the crud! My everyday driver

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I use the the first generation as a touring ski now and grabbed a new pair this year as an east coast daily driver

Got the exact same skis last week right before my JH trip, and right out of the gate they were unbelievably fun to ski.

Not too heavy/light for maneuvering, and not too stiff/flexible when dropping into turns. Sidecut allows for solid edging on firm snow, while the rocker and asym profile allowed for fast & confident ripping through crud. And just a darling in deep powder.

Overall, found them to be remarkably well-balanced for my skier type. I could be as aggressive as I wanted, and felt really confident on them after only my second run. Never skied elan before, and I’m turned onto their brand now.

Great ski brand, quality, and innovation, dismal North American marketing. They could be so much bigger...
    Gravity. It's the law.

I've been looking at the RS106 for a touring ski, seen some good deals and they are light. Would this be good for a softer boot and meadow skipping? Or, do you really need to drive it?

I was interested in the 96 as a touring ski, but tore my ACL again so -like XXXer - solved the dilemma that way.

Watched the FWT in andorra the other day and the new kid Mael Ollivier skied a great line on ripsticks to get 2nd place. So they are capable.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    I've been looking at the RS106 for a touring ski, seen some good deals and they are light. Would this be good for a softer boot and meadow skipping? Or, do you really need to drive it?
    Plake tours them...

You get out what you put in with the Ripstick. They are a very easy ski to ski. I would not call them "stiff". If you're going to tour them, probably don't go with the Black Ed. though.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I like seeing praise on these. Had RS106 when they came out and enjoyed them for what they are. Have since found a few tools that handle my area better but I’m intrigued on an improved black edition. My recently discovered osteoarthritis has me looking hard at the 116 and 96. Then maybe a Dynastar Mfree 108 to round it out..

Did Elan used to make skis for Dynafit I believe my Stokes were made by Elan ?

I already got a lot of skis and probably won't be buying more till 23-24

I picked up a pair of 2020 (I think) 106 Black Editions and am having an enormous amount of fun on them. They do ski a bit short, but edgehold for days and the flotation is really good too. Super easy to throw around, but not quite up to the crud crushing abilities of my Supergoats, but that's a pretty high bar. The RS BE's could be a very good one ski quiver for the west.

I can see a pair of 96's in my future

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post

How do you compare the topsheet material between the different gens- is it the same? Or newer matte type

Topsheets are basically similar - some parts matte, some shiny.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Like buttah, I am a total phanboi for Elan now...off my love for Liberty V92 because the 2021 R96 I picked up (with the prototype topsheets) from someone on here is so much more versatile. Loved them on the up and down in true backcountry in Southern VT, ski them on groomers, inbounds trees and moguls at Magic. Those skis rock.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    I’ve got both the 96 and 106 2020 Ripstick. I daily drive the 106 mounted NTN telemark since last season in Utah and love them. Predictable, super easy to ski and handle most conditions well while being light enough to tour on. They do ski short and have a speed limit and if I did it again I’d go for the 188 length for primarily inbounds use.

The 96 are mounted with g3 ions 314bsl and I use them for tours and occasionally some inbounds skiing. They’re great for touring as they are very light, float well and hold an edge on variable conditions. They’re very easy to drive and could definitely be skied with a softer boot. I like shorter skis for my touring rig and the 181 suit me nicely for that.

As for durability, base and edges are doing pretty good but the glossy top sheets seem to have be less durable than other skis, but not to the point of delamming etc.

If you’ve got a similar BSL or NTN boots, I’m happy to loan them for a test drive.

I also happen to think that the tip profile of the 2021 - onward will be a little better for the guys rocking them tele. They have a little less flare widthwise to them, and they also have a little less rise (not scientific there - just my impression), which would suggest they will be a little less apt to bump off each other and so on. I had the first gen RS96 loaded with Outlaws, and they were great, but I always felt like the tips kinda wanted to bounce off each other a bit more than other skis I had at the time. No issues with the "Amphibio" profile as a tele ski either.

Man...all this chatter is getting me really amped to get out to Montana next week to get on my RS106's!! Maybe even my 116's if there's some fresh!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Does anyone have a straight pull, tip-to-tail length on the 185cm RS116?

Blister shows the 193cm as a 189.9 straight pull, for tip-to-tail.

And the 180cm I have is 177.6cm straight pull, tip-to-tail?

Doing the relative math the 185cm R116 should have a straight pull of approx 182.5?

Really wish companies would measure consistently along the base....cause I can tell that 1-2cm.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Does anyone have a straight pull, tip-to-tail length on the 185cm RS116?

Blister shows the 193cm as a 189.9 straight pull, for tip-to-tail.

And the 180cm I have is 177.6cm straight pull, tip-to-tail?

Doing the relative math the 185cm R116 should have a straight pull of approx 182.5?

Really wish companies would measure consistently along the base....cause I can tell that 1-2cm.
    My 2020 RS116's are 182.5cm tip-to-tail.
    Gravity. It's the law.