Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Elan Ripstick 106 2021 Review

These look interesting for touring ....~1550 gm in the 180cm (ie 178cm).

Also the big Ripstick tip is gone...these are 128/104/122 in the 180cm. Ripstick 106 in the 180cm is 140/106/121.

On my radar for use with a 300 gm pin binding (or at worst a Tecton)?

And why isn’t there a RS 111mm Tour??

https://elanskis.com/eu/mens-skis/to...r-104-adgjsc21
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-08-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Those look sick, 23m radius in the 180, nice.
    crab in my shoe mouth

There are tour layup versions coming out as a mid-season release. Similar to how the new blacks did last season.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

This is certainly the question of the hour. Also, why isn't the rocker splay longer in the tours, especially with less sidecut? I guess Elan didn't want to make new molds. Other than that, DAMN. Love the look of the 104, could easily replace my loved to death Vectors. Wish it didn't say Glen Plake on it, but it's still beautiful.

https://elanskis.com/eu/mens-skis/to...r-104-adgjsc21
    Because Silly, everyone knows that pow sticks sub 110mm are all the rage these days

Those look frikken sweet tho

Great Plake input on the 104’s:

I’d probably like these a lot , but I already have the Praxis UL Carbon BC’s which are veeeerrrry similar.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Any interest is a skied 1x Elan Ripstick 104 W….exact same specs as the Ripstick 106. Like exact.

Would ship flat. Will be cheap. Like new condition.

See pic below. Center ski is the one for sale. On the right is a 2022 180cm Elan Ripstick 106. They are exactly the same!

1 mount for Marker Barons for a 279mm bsl at approx -7cm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	393692
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-23-2021 at 10:23 AM.

General consensus on mounting location? Have a pr of the orig 106 Black Editions 180cm - mounted on the line w/ 26.5 boot with Warden13s. Haven't jived 100% with them and would be open to a remount if it would help

Any interest is a skied 1x Elan Ripstick 104 W….exact same specs as the Ripstick 106. Like exact.

Would ship flat. Will be cheap. Like new condition.

See pic below. Center ski is the one for sale. On the right is a 2022 180cm Elan Ripstick 106. They are exactly the same!

1 mount for Marker Barons for a 279mm bsl at approx -7cm.
    Sent you a message about the lady ripsticks.

pm'd you John.

Ripsticks are great skis. These have 3 hours on them. Like new! Thinking $270US flat, shipped in Canada/USA....Paypal (friends/family).

1 mount with Barons for 279mm at -7cm

Posting in GS shortly.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-23-2021 at 06:07 PM.

I'm a forward mounter....FWIW

I mounted my 2021s Ripstick 106s at +2.5cm (-7.2cm as middle rec is -9.7)....would go +2cm next time (eg. -7.7cm).

I mounted my 2022s Ripstick 96s at +1.5cm (-6.5cm as middle rec is -8.0)....would go +1cm next time (eg. -7.0cm)

They rip at those forward mounts. But tails could be a bit more releasable / maneuverable.... which is why I would go back 0.5cm or so from where I mounted.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-23-2021 at 08:47 PM.

I mounted my 106's on the line and may remount -1 or -1.5 from that to improve tail release. The rec mount point is significantly more forward than my M102's. I want the Ripsticks to be more similar to those in how they handle. Even so I loved skiing on them and am psyched to get back on them this season.

Does anyone know if the womens ripstick 102 is a softer flex pattern or is it just gilish colors? Ripstick sounds versatile and 102 sounds good for my needs

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Does anyone know if the womens ripstick 102 is a softer flex pattern or is it just gilish colors? Ripstick sounds versatile and 102 sounds good for my needs
    Pretty much identical ski in 170 / 172 length. Flex curves are really close.
    https://compareskis.shinyapps.io/com...=%22Compare%22

Mass are different however. Both measured mass seems fairly different from their shorter/longer versions so that is a little weird (but not totally when you look at flex and true length of the other lengths). There might be a typo in our numbers. It would be great if someone can confirm the mass numbers that we have...

Quote Originally Posted by alude View Post
    Pretty much identical ski in 170 / 172 length. Flex curves are really close.
    https://compareskis.shinyapps.io/com...=%22Compare%22

Mass are different however. Both measured mass seems fairly different from their shorter/longer versions so that is a little weird (but not totally when you look at flex and true length of the other lengths). There might be a typo in our numbers. It would be great if someone can confirm the mass numbers that we have...
    Thanks, thats peetty cool. I wasnt aware anything like that existed. Ill stay tuned but its looking promising

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Lightbulb Decisions for simplifying my existance!

Here’s some pics (left to right) of: a 2022 180cm Ripstick 96 Black Edition, a 2020 177cm Ripstick 102W, and a 2021 180cm Ripstick 106....I can confirm they are all exact same length. Straight pull ~177.7cm. And my buddy has the 2020 181cm 106s....exact same too. So Elan has a 177cm, 180cm and 181cm that are all the same length. Also, the 177cm 102W and the 180cm 106 Ripsticks are the exact same dimensions in tip/waist/tail....same mold?

btw....the 2022 Ripstick Black Editions are the real deal. They are stiffer when compared to the regular 2021 Ripsticks (and the 2021s are stiffer than the 2020 Ripsticks).....as the 2022 Black Editions have two more extra full-length carbon rods...so four carbon rods in total in the 2022 Black Edition (versus only two carbon rods in the 2021s)....Elan calls it “QuadRod” = stiffness/dampness without the weight of metal. I call it fucking awesome! I predict the 2022 BE's becomes a kind of cult ski. It’s really really good. Review pending.

Attachment 369222

Attachment 369223

Attachment 369224
    Hey,

Love all this feedback on the Ripsticks. Some thoughts and a question or two coming shortly. I too am cursed by Corbett's over the past 13 years or so LOL. The whole family has benefitted. The hilarity is that I ordered a pair of Volkl Revolt 104's last year from Corbett's but they were gone when they went to ship them(20%off). Chris at Corbett's gave me the option to take pretty much anything I wanted. I took the Ripstick 106's Black Edition in a 174cm(tape measure 170cm) for$520! They weren't even on my radar but what a decision. I was formerly on the 2016 Enforcer 100's which I loved but for quickness and versality the freedom I have gained in the steeps and trees is phenomenal. To my question. I want to simplify and ski only one ski now so am thinking the 96 in a 180cm will do all of that. The 106 has been perfect except in the bumps-simply too wide. My mountain(Hudson Bay Mountain-BC) has bumps that are a *dogs breakfast* most of the time and I think a narrower ski will be much better for versatility. What is your opinion of this potential decision and I can see from the rest of this thread that it won't make a huge difference deciding between the regular vs the Black given the upgrade to the regular-plus my 2020 Blacks are essentially the latest regular version anyway. I think Elan's stated lengths is bogus and somewhat unethical. You would not see Stockli pulling that kind of move for sure. My main concern is not going too long due to the tightness in the trees on my hill and shorter is nicer in the moguls. Thanks-enjoy the seaon!
    Last edited by m719cd; 01-08-2022 at 07:46 PM.

1. Congrats on discovering the Ripsticks! Been the favorite ski for me since they came out.
    2. Stockli? Go back to PugSki. Take that stuff with you...
    3. Most skis don't measure exactly what they are advertised +/- Ripsticks have long been known to measure short. I wouldn't call it deceptive or "unethical" by any means though - more of a hazard you face when buying online. If you supported your local b&m shop you could've seen and touched them... (I kid, I kid...)
    4. I don't think there's a big enough difference between the 96 and 106 to justify buying for bumps. There is certainly a difference between the regulars and Black Ed, but if you're bumping, I'd probably go regular anyway - more flex. Maybe try the RS88? Or maybe go to a Wingman Ti?

Shameless quiver pic...

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	739.0 KB 
ID:	401007
    Gravity. It's the law.

One ski quiver

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    1. Congrats on discovering the Ripsticks! Been the favorite ski for me since they came out.
    3. Most skis don't measure exactly what they are advertised +/- Ripsticks have long been known to measure short. I wouldn't call it deceptive or "unethical" by any means though - more of a hazard you face when buying online. If you supported your local b&m shop you could've seen and touched them... (I kid, I kid...)
    4. I don't think there's a big enough difference between the 96 and 106 to justify buying for bumps. There is certainly a difference between the regulars and Black Ed, but if you're bumping, I'd probably go regular anyway - more flex. Maybe try the RS88? Or maybe go to a Wingman Ti?

Shameless quiver pic...

I was thinking of a one ski quiver with the 96. Just sold some Laser AX's LOL. I have no interest in going back to my truck in the parking lot to pick a ski. Although, you can ski to your vehicle no walking and usually no lineups at the lifts on my hill. I just find the 106 too wide for challenging trees and left over powder bumps. What's a classic current bump ski with capability in the powder not overly deep?

Anybody have any time on the Ripstick 104 Tour? Looks intriguing, especially if it skis just like a Ripstick 106 but in a lighter tour friendly package. Not expecting the same level of dampness and responsiveness as the Black or regular RS but hoping it's at least in the same easy to ski, stable, damp (for it's weight) ballpark.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

The regular Ripstick 106 is pretty darn light. I was actually considering making them my touring skis. Personally I would not want to go any lighter because I find the R106 a great ski on hardpack but it gets tossed around too much in chop. Granted I'm on the deceptively measured 180...shoulda gone up a size, maybe I'd get more stability in chop.

I gotta say though the R106 is outstanding at holding an edge on ice and firm snow IMO. Considerably better than my Mantra 102s. Not sure why that is since it's kind of the opposite of what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The regular Ripstick 106 is pretty darn light. I was actually considering making them my touring skis. Personally I would not want to go any lighter because I find the R106 a great ski on hardpack but it gets tossed around too much in chop. Granted I'm on the deceptively measured 180...shoulda gone up a size, maybe I'd get more stability in chop.

I gotta say though the R106 is outstanding at holding an edge on ice and firm snow IMO. Considerably better than my Mantra 102s. Not sure why that is since it's kind of the opposite of what I would expect.
    The Black Edition definitely smooths out that feel in chop, even in the shorter lengths. I went 180 for the quicker turning ability in trees and such. I have the 2020 96 Blacks, and run those tele, and they kinda make me wish I had 188’s in everything, but as a Midwesterner, I have to try to remember to buy for where I ski, not for where I wish I skied….
    Gravity. It's the law.

The Black Edition definitely smooths out that feel in chop, even in the shorter lengths. I went 180 for the quicker turning ability in trees and such. I have the 2020 96 Blacks, and run those tele, and they kinda make me wish I had 188’s in everything, but as a Midwesterner, I have to try to remember to buy for where I ski, not for where I wish I skied….
    Ok so I'm fortunate enough to be able to work through some of this conundrum. I've got older blue 2020 106 181cm and just picked up the Black Edition 106 188cm. I've got them both mounted telemark with Outlaw X (see pic) on the ride line.

I have approx 100 days on the 2020 181cm and I absolutely LOVE them for everything. Inbounds/slack, hardpack, bumps, pow, whatever. Ya'll know the drill on those - just an amazing all terrain goat of a ski. The 181cm ski short and absolutely have a speed limit though....and I hit it a lot.

The BE 188cm OTOH do not have a speed limit, at least so far! It took me a couple resort days to get used to the longer length, as they're not quite as quick to turn as the 181. That said, they are very quick edge to edge and deliver that faithful POP into the next turn. I've got them mounted on the line and find that I need to lean a bit more forward than I do w the shorter length skis, else i get put in the backseat. The stiffer BE suits me well at 180lbs, and the skis are not noticeably stiff - but they definitely require "more work" to ski than the shorter, softer 181cm. I feel like I can drive the ski in both alpine and tele turns through pow, crud, etc but if I let off it, they throw me in the backseat. Definitely more of a 'charger' type feeling on the BE 188cm and they are extremely smooth through the chop.

I do find the longer 188cm to be slightly cumbersome in the tight trees at Solitude, as I was cruising through the headwall forest today and felt I had to stop a couple times as i dealt with the bigger boards. On the runouts though, just point em and whoosh! Very stable, very damp, they accelerate very quickly.

Overall, I love the Ripstick Black Edition!! The additional stiffness is appreciated and the jury is out on whether I really need the 188cm or if i'd be just as happy on a BE 181 and get that super quick turny-ness of the 181 back.

Rip on!

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	756.3 KB 
ID:	408901
    Last edited by jmedslc; 03-09-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Shameless quiver pic...

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	739.0 KB 
ID:	401007
    Question: Are you mounted center line on your 96's? I picked up some 22's 180cm mounted center line and find myself getting back seat when carving quick short turns on the groomers. Going to adjust my boots all the way forward and put in a heel lift to see how that feels. The 96's feel significantly quicker edge to edge than the 106's and feel narrower in the bumps which I had hoped for.

I have to try to remember to buy for where I ski, not for where I wish I skied….
    ha, that line cost me much money over the years - so true though.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Ok so I'm fortunate enough to be able to work through some of this conundrum. I've got older blue 2020 106 181cm and just picked up the Black Edition 106 188cm. I've got them both mounted telemark with Outlaw X (see pic) on the ride line.

I have approx 100 days on the 2020 181cm and I absolutely LOVE them for everything. Inbounds/slack, hardpack, bumps, pow, whatever. Ya'll know the drill on those - just an amazing all terrain goat of a ski. The 181cm ski short and absolutely have a speed limit though....and I hit it a lot.

The BE 188cm OTOH do not have a speed limit, at least so far! It took me a couple resort days to get used to the longer length, as they're not quite as quick to turn as the 181. That said, they are very quick edge to edge and deliver that faithful POP into the next turn. I've got them mounted on the line and find that I need to lean a bit more forward than I do w the shorter length skis, else i get put in the backseat. The stiffer BE suits me well at 180lbs, and the skis are not noticeably stiff - but they definitely require "more work" to ski than the shorter, softer 181cm. I feel like I can drive the ski in both alpine and tele turns through pow, crud, etc but if I let off it, they throw me in the backseat. Definitely more of a 'charger' type feeling on the BE 188cm and they are extremely smooth through the chop.

I do find the longer 188cm to be slightly cumbersome in the tight trees at Solitude, as I was cruising through the headwall forest today and felt I had to stop a couple times as i dealt with the bigger boards. On the runouts though, just point em and whoosh! Very stable, very damp, they accelerate very quickly.

Overall, I love the Ripstick Black Edition!! The additional stiffness is appreciated and the jury is out on whether I really need the 188cm or if i'd be just as happy on a BE 181 and get that super quick turny-ness of the 181 back.

Rip on!

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	756.3 KB 
ID:	408901
    Nice review! Glad you're digging them! I'm with you on the length thing - TORN! That said, the only place I wish I had the extra length is out west, and I only get about 5-6 days out there, so the 180's are serving me well - although the 106's have only seen UT snow! They are quick for a ski their size, and pretty much like the Labrador of skis - ready to please and have some fun!
    Gravity. It's the law.