Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    When an engine goes out on a twin engine jet, the first th thought is the other is going to go out, ie, bad fuel.
    Bad fuel is a much bigger issue for piston engines and turboprops. Big jets have redundant fuel systems that have multiple pumps, bypass valves, crossfeeds, etc. And this is just like my opinion man, but I think jet engines are more tolerant of it.

Fuel leaks OTOH have brought some big jets down.

I was flying home from Vegas a few years ago and my flight was delayed for an hour or two because it was too hot. Temperature and pressure (i.e. elevation of the airport) factor into those V1 and Vr calculations. I think the temperature mainly affects the thrust of the engines and the pressure, of course, affects the amount of lift the wings are able to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Then the pilot's announcement may have more of an edge to it.
    Not in Sully’s case

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Someone in the Acronym Department needs to be fired.
    Some pilots say "Engines turn or people swim"

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I was flying home from Vegas a few years ago and my flight was delayed for an hour or two because it was too hot. Temperature and pressure (i.e. elevation of the airport) factor into those V1 and Vr calculations. I think the temperature mainly affects the thrust of the engines and the pressure, of course, affects the amount of lift the wings are able to produce.
    Yeah, the thing's got to be able to do all four climb segments on one engine, so the climb gradient can be the limiting factor. Basically, the acceleration is slower, the second segment climb covers more distance (i.e. more manmade obstacles), and the fourth segment is getting close to the hills.

Vegas is actually a pain in the ass. In the summer you have to be careful not to overheat the brakes there (also causes delays). Taxiing for the 26s is downhill. The runways themselves aren't even flat. And the sun reflects off the buildings.

It's raining airplane parts all over: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/l...eople-injured/

Part of a fan blade embedded in a car:

Attachment 364135

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    It's raining airplane parts all over: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/l...eople-injured/

Part of a fan blade embedded in a car:

Attachment 364135
    Dammit, can't we have a couple of these happen to Airbus airplanes to balance this out?

Blame GE? GE makes turbofan engines for Airbus too...

I'd say flying home from Aspen in winter is like 50/50 for me.

Best experience was pilot getting on mic in airport and saying that based on his calculations, the plane could carry two customers and crew and have enough lift to clear the mountains. He asked if there were two people who were lightweight and had no luggage that needed to leave Aspen.

Not sure he got any takers. I never complain about g etting stuck in Aspen, a lot worse problems in the world.

Air Canada used to leave gear off the plane cuz a dash 8/200 as they flew it couldn't carry all the passengers & the gear they were allowed to bring so they just leave off skis/guns/ fishing gear

I always used to recommend to skiers come early so your gear can catch up with you

not sure what AC fly with the covid, we are lucky if they fly at all
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Really good overview by a 777 pilot here- https://youtu.be/Tkieg1ZFcPE

Somewhat related, but doesn't the 777-200 have north of a 300 minute ETOPS rating?

I understand that there was a risk of the fire spreading and the correct procedure is to get the plane on ground ASAP, but I also think it is pretty remarkable that 777s are rated to fly for up to 5.5 hours on one engine should they have a failure over the ocean. Worth noting that not all engine failures are as dramatic and risky and it's possible that this particular aircraft wouldn't have made it 5.5 hours.

Edit- you guys beat me to the ETOPs convo.

I was kind of wondering if they had shut down fuel to that engine in the vid cuz it still appeared to be burning
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It was apparently burning on the ground when they landed.

Best guess is that the engine failure check list includes shutting off fuel to the engine ASAP. Perhaps it is possible the the fuel pump(s) or lines were damaged in the failure, allowing fuel to leak in.

Engine failure, fire, and severe damage are memory actions and handled the same way on all medium and heavy jets. The big ticket items are:

Confirm which side, and pull the power back to idle
    Re-confirm and shut the engine off
    Activate the Fire Switch/Handle (confirming with the other guy that you're grabbing the correct side)
    -- also different interfaces, eg sometimes a handle, sometimes a guarded switch/button, but the same thing happens: fuel, hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical are all disconnected at the firewall.

At this point the pilots have to determine if there's a fire (red light, eng instruments). If there is the next step is to discharge a fire retardant. If the fire indication persists after a certain number of seconds, a they discharge a second bottle.

They then set or confirm that the power on the good engine is set to MCT (max continuous thrust) and call for the checklist(s)

The fact that it appeared to still have some fire going is kinda interesting. Not sure if it's residual or something wasn't fully closed.

A very close bud just did this on route to aspen. He called it sporty.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Expensive

Don't see a lot of Falcons with all of the Gulfstreams and Globals out there. Cool airplane.

He likes it, and that is his second that he has been pilot for the big boss. Boss wanted a little bit more room. So, back to 30 days of paid training and drinking in Florida. Thankfully it's a triple. He's flown Aspen to Italy and Hawaii. Joe is a fun motorcycle partner. Big sled, no shits given. I love him so much and his family. He basically hangs out in his family cabin in northern minnie and ice fishes until he gets the call. Then he comes back, kisses the wife, calls me for a beer, and takes off. I asked him about Telluride once, and he said that was a joke. He flies aspen 3 or 4 times a month. Lots of stories of carnage. Yeah, that was a solid couple of birds right there.

WTF?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/w...sh-report.html

And, unreal, no controls? Right right right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Engine failure, fire, and severe damage are memory actions and handled the same way on all medium and heavy jets. The big ticket items are:

Confirm which side, and pull the power back to idle
    Re-confirm and shut the engine off
    Activate the Fire Switch/Handle (confirming with the other guy that you're grabbing the correct side)
    -- also different interfaces, eg sometimes a handle, sometimes a guarded switch/button, but the same thing happens: fuel, hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical are all disconnected at the firewall.

At this point the pilots have to determine if there's a fire (red light, eng instruments). If there is the next step is to discharge a fire retardant. If the fire indication persists after a certain number of seconds, a they discharge a second bottle.

They then set or confirm that the power on the good engine is set to MCT (max continuous thrust) and call for the checklist(s)

The fact that it appeared to still have some fire going is kinda interesting. Not sure if it's residual or something wasn't fully closed.
    In the video, it kinda looks less like the engine is still on fire and more like super hot metal glowing/oxidizing. But that could just be an effect of the airflow. idk.
    It's amazing how much reserve power a modern jetliner can have. They must have been pretty full of fuel. I'd imagine the passenger and baggage load is a little light nowadays, but still. Did they dump fuel before landing? I'd imagine they'd have had to with the weight and fire danger.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If a piece of an engine falls in your property - can you tell the authorities to fuck off and keep the thing? This is America and all....

I was on a flight with an engine fail halfway between SEA and OAK. Pilot turned around and went back to SEA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I remember this from a few years ago
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ing/index.html

When I was a kid I was on a flight where they thought an engine was on fire and they pulled the extinguisher but it turned but it hadn't been on fire but they turned around anyways, apparently they weren't allowed to relight that engine because now it had no extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If a piece of an engine falls in your property - can you tell the authorities to fuck off and keep the thing? This is America and all....

I was on a flight with an engine fail halfway between SEA and OAK. Pilot turned around and went back to SEA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And those poor people wound back back in DIA. That was probably worse than the burning engine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 6.41.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	364204

During the takeoff roll, the number 3 tire of the main landing gear failed. The flight was diverted to Edmonton International Airport.

On touchdown the right main landing gear collapsed.

Upon contact with the ground, all of the right-side propeller blades were sheared, and 1 blade penetrated the cabin wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 6.44.19 PM.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	364205

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r.../a14w0177.html