Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I doubt it was bird ingestion. Probably a fatigue issue caused by a manufacturing defect (crack propagation).
    They didn't exactly get far before it all went bad. From this armchair I wouldn't rule out a goose. Could very well be fatigue just the same. I'd just like to think ground crew would normally catch that.

Compressor surge plus fatigued metal perhaps?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Grounding everything is SOP until a cause is found that rules it out. It in no way implies they know that the cause is that aircraft/engine combination, it just means that if something was sucked into the engine, it hasn't been seen/found yet. That's one of the reasons commercial air travel is so safe, they tolerate nothing.
    It could have been FOD on the ground, a bird, a failure, anything.
    I guess it did keep burning though. That's not a good sign. Also, they're probably scouring footage fr cameras around the airport and they haven't announced they found anything yet.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Metal Fatigue Seen as Trigger for Boeing 777 Engine Failure
    https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...e-near-denver/
    "A preliminary examination of fragments found after the episode that sent metal chunks raining on a suburban neighborhood suggested a crack that grew gradually over time prompted the failure, Sumwalt said Monday night."

Call me Carnac.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Doyea feel safer now hunny

If only my brother had flown a double cub!
    No longer stuck.

"A preliminary examination of fragments found after the episode that sent metal chunks raining on a suburban neighborhood suggested a crack that grew gradually over time prompted the failure, Sumwalt said Monday night."

Call me Carnac.
    Oh
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Anyway, there was a grungy bar across the street from LBCC called Thirsty Isle and they served 1 liter schooners of Coors Lite for a buck twenty five at lunch. I'd go in there for a hot dog and watch the Douglas employees come in there on there lunch hour and throw back a couple of schooners and then go back and build planes.

I avoided DC planes as much as possible.
    So that's why all of the knobs and switches on the mad dog (aka MD80) are different and in unconventional locations.

So for the landing lights we'll use the switches that look like lights over here...
    Name:  mdlightpan2.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  21.4 KB
    (they glow in the dark too)

but for these other lights...
    Name:  mdlightpan1.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  25.7 KB
    extra wtf points for the one shaped like a hex-bolt

and

We need something for the trim.
    How about these suitcase handles?
    Perfect!

Name:  md-80-pedestal.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  238.1 KB
    the missing VSI on the capt's side is a nice touch.

And for what's left over...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverheadPanel.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	364496
    Looks good. Thirsty Isle?
    You read my mind.

Jesus, look at that. That's from back when you had to chase the dinosaurs off the runway before you took off.

Did anyone catch the National Geographic documentary on the new Air Force One(s)? They were showing the flight deck of the current airplane (from 1990) and even from that era it's predominantly analog gauges like Ted's MD-80 photos. The current Air Force One requires four people in the cockpit. The new one will require just two.

[And, if you really want to be a pedant, it's technically incorrect to call the two airplanes we call "Air Force One" that. Air Force One is the designation for any Air Force aircraft that is carrying the President.]

Wait, Ted, you an airline pilot?
    I swear they still fly MD90s or something in and out of here. Delta (or Delta contractor) MSO to SLC. The cocking was very analog and the last time I was on one, the pilot seemed to be bunting (right term?) his way down to the airport and that didn't feel good.
    No longer stuck.

Wait, Ted, you an airline pilot?.
    I thought he was a shell shocked taxi driver with a drinking problem?

IIRC he flew single engine fighters for the Air Force, but that plane has two engines, it’s an entirely different type of flying, all together.

Because of his actions, 6 men didn’t come back from that raid.

Have you ever been inside a Turkish prison?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Wait, Ted, you an airline pilot?
    I swear they still fly MD90s or something in and out of here. Delta (or Delta contractor) MSO to SLC. The cocking was very analog and the last time I was on one, the pilot seemed to be bunting (right term?) his way down to the airport and that didn't feel good.
    I know Allegiant was still flying MD 80's until a few years ago. They ran a Las Vegas route out of BZN twice a week for super cheap. And you had to be a gambler to fly in those, I don't think they worked on them very much.

Well like my buddy said before a $200 flight to Edinburgh from Providence RI, "If the pilots will get on, so will I".

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well like my buddy said before a $200 flight to Edinburgh from Providence RI, "If the pilots will get on, so will I".
    having worked with a 1st gen american scott for 20+ years, this checks out.

I mean, Aeroflot finds pilots. Still not going to get in one of those deathtraps.

If Hindu pilots are anything like the bus drivers in India, no thanks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I thought he was a shell shocked taxi driver with a drinking problem?

IIRC he flew single engine fighters for the Air Force, but that plane has two engines, it’s an entirely different type of flying, all together.

Because of his actions, 6 men didn’t come back from that raid.

Have you ever been inside a Turkish prison?

Do you like movies about gladiators?
    No longer stuck.

Call me Carnac.
    Duh.
    Cornfield lessons.
    That's why they make sure a blade shattering won't slice hydraulic lines or other shit needed for a good crash landing.

Pretty much the only reason airline pilots haven't been replaced by robots - or at least some game obsessed kid who'll fly it remotely from their mom's basement for half the money.

Heh: Two fighter pilots passed out over Nevada last year. Software saved them both.

In separate incidents, F-16 aviators were rendered unconscious, but a ground-collision avoidance system righted the aircrafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Pretty much the only reason airline pilots haven't been replaced by robots - or at least some game obsessed kid who'll fly it remotely from their mom's basement for half the money.
    Is replacement/automation a real expectation in the industry longer term? A good friend works for a railroad and they are already seeing some automation with expectations that shift continues. The airspace seems like another level.

so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I mean, Aeroflot finds pilots. Still not going to get in one of those deathtraps.
    Once I flew from Katmandu to Lhotse I will get aboard pretty much anything - if that shit didn’t kill me nothing will.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Is replacement/automation a real expectation in the industry longer term? A good friend works for a railroad and they are already seeing some automation with expectations that shift continues. The airspace seems like another level.
    It's an entirely different kind of flying... altogether.

Yeah, it absolutely is a real expectation. The technology already exists to fly military drones remotely, and high level management at the big airlines have been known to view pilots as a problem (over paid, under worked whiners who have the power to bring the whole enterprise to a stop). The biggest pilot union has dedicated considerable resources to fighting it, and finding ways to live with it if/when it becomes inevitable (the theoretical first step is eliminating the First Officer - or at least putting them on the ground).

It's also going to be fueled by the airlines' recruitment problem. In the heyday (think Pan Am) it was easy to attract qualified people, but deregulation started a race to the bottom. In the 90s new hires at the regional airline level were paid below poverty line wages. Then 9/11 gutted the industry for half a decade.

When things started rolling again a person coming out of high school had the choice to join the military (with the risk of wash-out) or do a four year degree plus flight training (likely incurring substantial debt) to be lucky to find an entry level job that paid a livable wage. Conversely, graduating with any tech related degree was putting yourself on the fast track to six figures.

So now the airlines are struggling to find pilots as an unintended consequence of them making the career comparatively unattractive. But robots don't have student loans.

Typical fuckin corporations. Everybody's doing okay but they have to try to grab a bigger slice so they fuck up the whole equation and then they wonder why shit's fucked up.