Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Blame GE? GE makes turbofan engines for Airbus too...
    Yeah, but everyone wants to know whether it's a Boeing or Airbus. No one ever cares who the engine manufacturer was.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, but everyone wants to know whether it's a Boeing or Airbus. No one ever cares who the engine manufacturer was.
    So it was RR not GE?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 ...
    In the mid-00s Scandinavian Airlines had three Q4 gear collapses within two months. I'm pretty sure there are youtube videos of them.

I worked with a guy who had been involved with the Q400 qualification in ~2012 and we discussed those props a bit. He said the qual standard was to finish the flight, not that all passengers must survive. He always quietly requests to move if seated in row 8. I've been avoiding 7-9 ever since.

Airlines ground dozens of Boeing 777 planes after engine failure over Denver

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/21/us/bo...ion/index.html

After reading this thread I am glad I have no plans to get on an airplane anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Airlines ground dozens of Boeing 777 planes after engine failure over Denver

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/21/us/bo...ion/index.html
    I listened to a radio program about Boeing’s move to South Carolina. Which is where the 777 is produced. Initially production was slow. To remedy this Boeing sent one of it’s top production and safety personnel from SEATAC to get the SC plant on track. In interviews he says the level of professionalism and general work at the SC plant was beyond abysmal. He recommended a complete reworking of the plant. Boeing fired him to maintain stock prices high. Ever since hearing that program I’ve been waiting to hear about 777 problems.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/b...-problems.html

Looks like it is the 787 that’s produced there.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    So it was RR not GE?
    Pratt & Whitney

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...company%20said.

And from this armchair, I'm willing to put my money on right engine failure due to sudden intrusion of undocumented migratory waterfowl which reeks of maple syrup and poutine.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/b...-problems.html

Looks like it is the 787 that’s produced there.
    Correct. All 777 aircraft are built in Everett, Washington.

Boeing recently made the decision to consolidate all 787 production in South Carolina. Previously there were separate lines in Everett and Charleston, but the Everett line is shutting down. I'm sure the labor situation was a factor (i.e. they can pay mechanics a lot less in SC), but I think the pivotal issue was that only the South Carolina plant can handle the longest 787 variant, the -10. That made it sort of a no-brainer that Charleston would win out.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    After reading this thread I am glad I have no plans to get on an airplane anytime soon.
    Man, just fly like you're already dead. It really works.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Man, just fly like you're already dead. It really works.
    If Ambien ads were honest.

I listened to a radio program about Boeing’s move to South Carolina. Which is where the 777 is produced. Initially production was slow. To remedy this Boeing sent one of it’s top production and safety personnel from SEATAC to get the SC plant on track. In interviews he says the level of professionalism and general work at the SC plant was beyond abysmal. He recommended a complete reworking of the plant. Boeing fired him to maintain stock prices high. Ever since hearing that program I’ve been waiting to hear about 777 problems.

In the early 80's I took some classes at Long Beach City College, right across the street from Douglas. I was born in the LBC so I will always call it Douglas, even though it was McDonnel Douglas at that point. Fun fact, I had a high school teacher who went to elementary school right next to Douglas during WWII and he said every DC3 made flew right over their heads. It was constant, one after the other. He was kinda weird, I think the noise did something to him. Anyway, there was a grungy bar across the street from LBCC called Thirsty Isle and they served 1 liter schooners of Coors Lite for a buck twenty five at lunch. I'd go in there for a hot dog and watch the Douglas employees come in there on there lunch hour and throw back a couple of schooners and then go back and build planes.

I avoided DC planes as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    And from this armchair, I'm willing to put my money on right engine failure due to sudden intrusion of undocumented migratory waterfowl which reeks of maple syrup and poutine.
    Fuckin canada geese, man. I hate those fuckers.

I would have made an epic firepit out of the engine shroud.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Geese at 10k feet or whatever they were at though? I don't know shit but I'd have expected the goose risk to go away within a minute after takeoff.

Geese mate for life so you know why them Geeses do all the honking eh ?

its the female tellin the male he is going the wrong way
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When geese migrate in a V formation, one leg of the V is always longer than the other. Do you know why this is?

More geese on that side

^^Favorite Dad joke

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Geese at 10k feet or whatever they were at though? I don't know shit but I'd have expected the goose risk to go away within a minute after takeoff.
    I doubt it was bird ingestion. Probably a fatigue issue caused by a manufacturing defect (crack propagation).

But Canada Geese can fly really high. I've seen them in the teens, and heard about them in the twenties.

A friend/colleague used to say, "Damned illegal immigrants! I'll bet not one of them has a pilot's license!" (with his thick Polish accent)

Correct. All 777 aircraft are built in Everett, Washington.

Boeing recently made the decision to consolidate all 787 production in South Carolina. Previously there were separate lines in Everett and Charleston, but the Everett line is shutting down. I'm sure the labor situation was a factor (i.e. they can pay mechanics a lot less in SC), but I think the pivotal issue was that only the South Carolina plant can handle the longest 787 variant, the -10. That made it sort of a no-brainer that Charleston would win out.
    I believe the whole reason for having a plant in SC is to hinder the employees power via unions.

SO less likely to do something that is in their best interest ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I doubt it was bird ingestion. Probably a fatigue issue caused by a manufacturing defect (crack propagation).
    I worked for a ceramics company that made filters to catch any possible occlusions in the superalloys used in jet engine turbine blades. When that DC 10 did an endo in the cornfield in Iowa around 1990, management was shitting themselves until they found out it wasn't our ceramic filter that did that batch of metal.

Doyea feel safer now hunny

​I am not in your hurry

I believe the whole reason for having a plant in SC is to hinder the employees power via unions.
    Yes. 100%.