Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

United 328.....Holeeeeee Shit.

All the Broomfield mags ok??? Ted Striker to the white courtesy phone, please. Crazy:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/u...eld-plane.html
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Some friends of mine live in that neighborhood, but didn't get hit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Crazy. Just read about it because of this thread. Glad everyone's okay. United's "working on getting everyone on another flight in the next few hours". I think I might pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Crazy. Just read about it because of this thread. Glad everyone's okay. United's "working on getting everyone on another flight in the next few hours". I think I might pass.
    Fucking United, man........Props to the flight crew, the audio of the mayday call was fucking impressive. Sounded like the pilot was ordering takeout.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

-Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

jus' a couple parts is all.

Statistically Its still safer than driving to costco
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Statistically Its still safer than driving to costco
    Well yes but statistics fly (snort) out the window if you’re filming that shit......
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

That video's steady as shit. Seano post up the audio if you know where to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    That video's steady as shit. Seano post up the audio if you know where to find it.
    https://kdvr.com/news/local/listen-m...ed-flight-328/
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Props to the flight crew, the audio of the mayday call was fucking impressive. Sounded like the pilot was ordering takeout.
    I get more worked up trying to order takeout.
    Pilot: “gonna need a turn immediately”
    Me ordering take out: “Are you sure got the spring rolls? Really? you’re SURE? You repeated all the other items BUT you just said yup when I mentioned the SPRING ROLLS! So the spring rolls are ordered? Can you read back my order please”

Pilot with air traffic control:
    https://soundcloud.com/denverpost/ma...ted-flight-328

The whole contained engine failure thing hasn't worked out in a few recent cases.

I went down the rabbit hole listening to ATC communications on YouTube a while back and the pilots were almost always cool as a cucumber in even the most dire circumstances.

I was driving back to my house, a few miles south of the flight path over Broomfield, and saw both the plane and the smoke.
    Something looked off immediately. Clouds aren't charcoal colored spheres, and it seemed the plane was slowing and flattening its ascent. I figured I was delusional and chalked it up as nothing. Wrong!
    Do homeowners get to call United and say "get your shit off my lawn?"

Bird get sucked up into the engine on takeoff? A 777 limping back around on one engine is a tough one

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Bird get sucked up into the engine on takeoff? A 777 limping back around on one engine is a tough one

We’ve got a shit-ton of geese around here, would not surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I could see the water the copilot was emptying out of his Arrowhead water bottle going by the window but it appears to have missed the engine.

Better than over the Pacific....
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The whole contained engine failure thing hasn't worked out in a few recent cases.
    Well, it did here. The requirement is for the lost blades to be contained. The big issue is the blades penetrating the pressurized fuselage or cutting through things like hydraulics. Obviously you'd prefer parts of the engine to not rain down on neighborhoods, but that's certainly better than an entire airplane going down.

Although you'd prefer two engines, the plane can climb on one engine.
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Although you'd prefer two engines, the plane can climb on one engine.
    And just so everyone know, airplanes that fly for extended periods over the ocean (like this one) are ETOPS rated. ETOPS stands for "extended twin engine operations." In other words they must be certified to fly for a long time on just a single engine. I believe these 777s are rated to fly 330 minutes on one engine. It's no big deal--just put your window shade down.

The 777 isn't exactly limping on one engine.

As for over the ocean, it'll fly on one engine fine, but it takes so much more fuel that a diversion to another destination is often necessary - or at least the better option. Though in the case of a 777, Hawaii isn't actually that far.

Flying is more about time than distance. You'll never hear a pilot say "we have ___ miles" of fuel. It's ___ hours of fuel. So before the flight they calculate the "equal time points" meaning that before they cross that point they'll use one airport as an alternate landing spot, and after they'll use the next airport down the line, and so on.

From the US mainland to HI there aren't any islands so the last ETP would be between SFO and whichever airport the destination is. Something happens before that point, they're turning around.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    And just so everyone know, airplanes that fly for extended periods over the ocean (like this one) are ETOPS rated. ETOPS stands for "extended twin engine operations." In other words they must be certified to fly for a long time on just a single engine. I believe these 777s are rated to fly 330 minutes on one engine. It's no big deal--just put your window shade down.
    And watch HGTV.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The 777 isn't exactly limping on one engine.

As for over the ocean, it'll fly on one engine fine, but it takes so much more fuel that a diversion to another destination is often necessary - or at least the better option. Though in the case of a 777, Hawaii isn't actually that far.

Flying is more about time than distance. You'll never hear a pilot say "we have ___ miles" of fuel. It's ___ hours of fuel. So before the flight they calculate the "equal time points" meaning that before they cross that point they'll use one airport as an alternate landing spot, and after they'll use the next airport down the line, and so on.

From the US mainland to HI there aren't any islands so the last ETP would be between SFO and whichever airport the destination is. Something happens before that point, they're turning around.
    Thank you TS.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    ETOPS stands for "extended twin engine operations." In other words they must be certified to fly for a long time on just a single engine.
    Someone in the Acronym Department needs to be fired.

It's pronounced e-tops, but yeah...