UAC - Danger in the Danger Ratings

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Here's the post from the Utah Avalanche Centre so you can avoid visiting Snowbrains: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog/15914

UAC - Danger in the Danger Ratings

I’m less interested in promoting SnowBrains and my stories there than simply sharing good stuff

That's real good stuff, thanks for sharing.

does it read ok?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    does it read ok?
    it does.
    swing your fucking sword.

Complexity adds confusion whether it's the first day or with a lifetime of experience.
    ModX, I think not.

^^this is true and I think forecasters struggle enough trying to capture a complex problem in a single rating

Depends on the objective. A more basic question would be whether or not capturing a multi-dimensional situation in a one-dimensional rating is the right goal?

The goal should be communication, and as Robin Quivers (no relation) once said, "You haven't communicated until the person you're talking to understands what you're saying." Audience feedback is important, and if Tier 1 users are the audience it's difficult to get that, but simulation by asking more experienced people to imagine what works is not a good substitute.

As an example, I know a guy who's been riding snowmobiles in backcountry for 20-odd years but believes he avoids avi terrain (looks like he's mostly right--mostly). He avoids looking too deeply into any of this stuff. Thinks if there's no current advisory (local forecasters issue them less than daily and they expire after 24 hours) that means there's no concern. Like if there's no winter weather advisory--after all, they do call these "forecasts." So he doesn't read, just checks the color and if one area has no current advisory and the other is anything but green I think he goes where there's no current advisory. If that's the audience, I don't even know how you ask them anything.