Smith I/O vs I/O MAG

Title says it all. My old I/Os got warrantied so I have a coupon.

Is it worth the extra $50 to upgrade? I've never really done the mid-day lens switch thing, at least when I'm not in the side country just trying to get an unlogged lens after not switching to sunglasses for the climb. Is the MAG that much better? Does the new attachment system mean I'll somehow not destroy the face foam (which seems to be how these goggles die) from less torquing the goggles as I switch out lenses?

I have switched from I/O7 to I/Mag XL and while the magnet attachment is much easier than previous gen clips, I don't see how the lens swap can be done with the frame still on face.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Smith I/O vs I/O MAG

I have the mag, not xl. It’s fine. The only time I end up switch lenses is on hot pow days. Easy enough. I can do it on my face without gloves on. Edit: it’s true that it’s harder to do on the face, and if I’m doing it for fog i take them off my head first anyways so that I can see what I’m doing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by mufasa5446; 02-23-2021 at 01:10 AM.

I got the mag xl and love them, but agreed that it isn’t an on face swap and I rarely actually swap lenses

I too switched form the I/O to I/O Mag XL.
    I do like the swap a lot more, far easier to use. Is that worth $50 for you? Hard to say.
    I also wanted larger field of view, so went for the XL, even though I have a decidedly medium head and face. It fits well. It real should be called the I/O Mag L, not XL.
    Lens selection might play into it too. What lenses do you want and are they available in the Mag or the plain?
    I got the Photochoromatic and enjoy it, less switching needed, so if you get that, it might be a reason to stick to the regular I/O.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 02-23-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Was in the same situation as OP and went with the mag. 100% worth it for ease of swapping out lenses.

I have mags now after years with regular i/o.
    I used to have two pair in my ski bag and pick based on days conditions. Now i have one pair and switch lens based on conditions. Switching on mags is super easy unlike older i/o. I never carry extra lens or swap on the hill but if you do get the mags for sure.

I’m more interested in the mags because nothing could be worse then the I/o7 retention system. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but any time my hands even think about going near my 7s they come out. Anyways, on the hunt for mags.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

If anyone has 1/O7 lenses or frames in good shape they want to unload, I’d be happy to buy em off you.