Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    I drive past Costco daily on my commute, so I often will stop in after work.
    The secret to not overspending is to not use a cart. Only buy what you can carry.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    It's $1.99 for a slice that will stop the kids from bitching during the entire the grocery run. That doesn't make it good, that makes it amazing. And for kids parties, two 18" pizzas, a sheet cake, and a gallon of ice cream and I'm a birthday hero that just fed 30 kids for $40 out the door and nearly zero effort. You can't get a XL gourmet fancy pants pizza for that price. Apples and oranges my friend.
    Correct. And just like that shit ain’t pizza, apples ain’t oranges.

Would not feed that shit to my kid or his friends. But that is just because I have different standards for what goes into our bodies. No shitty pizza. Same
    For dominos and Pizza Hut and what ever.

I do shop at Costco for his parties when we had big ones. Cold cuts mostly. I’d get loaves from the bakery and make party sandwiches and cut them up. And a vegan sandwiches with fava bean mint purée with sliced veggies.

Same with that shirt cake. No fucking way. Spend some money for fucks sake. It’s your kids birthday. And get a real cake that is worth putting in your mouth and swallowing.

Some people just prefer real food. But most don’t. Fairies are all they want. But for ducks sake look at the average obese American.

What do I want from Costco?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Correct. And just like that shit ain’t pizza, apples ain’t oranges.

No, it’s still pizza, just a value proposition.

Quality is as high as any slice on the street in NYC, but the style is very different.

It’s Reds vs Fuji’s vs honeycrisp.

It’s fine if you don’t like red delicious, but it’s still an apple.

Same with that shirt cake. No fucking way. Spend some money for fucks sake. It’s your kids birthday. And get a real cake that is worth putting in your mouth and swallowing.
    I don't know shit about what goes into their pizzas....but if you think "spending some money" buys you a better or healthier cake, you've got another thing coming. Tons of fancy bakeries use premade cake mix of the same type they use at Costco because the quality and consistency is better than almost anything you can produce at home.

The highhorse ness of this post is just silly IMHO.

Kirkland bars of bath soap are a good product and a good price.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Tell me more!
    I first tried this with a choice strip loin and the steaks turned out fantastic. I cut them up at 1.5 inch thickness and then removed the pellicle. I wanted to to try with a prime loin next, but a full loin is expensive. So when I saw they had several smaller loins and they were on sale I pulled trigger.

I use the UMAi bags and age the loin in my meat drawer of the fridge. I have the loin on a wire rack to help get air around the entire surface and will flip the steak every few days. I will cut these at 1.5 inch thickness as a reverse sear works well with this thickness.

I also picked up up a Sous Vide yesterday on Woot and will give that a try with one of these steaks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I first tried this with a choice strip loin and the steaks turned out fantastic. I cut them up at 1.5 inch thickness and then removed the pellicle. I wanted to to try with a prime loin next, but a full loin is expensive. So when I saw they had several smaller loins and they were on sale I pulled trigger.

I use the UMAi bags and age the loin in my meat drawer of the fridge. I have the loin on a wire rack to help get air around the entire surface and will flip the steak every few days. I will cut these at 1.5 inch thickness as a reverse sear works well with this thickness.

I also picked up up a Sous Vide yesterday on Woot and will give that a try with one of these steaks as well.
    Aaaaaaand here I go down yet ANOTHER foodie rabbit-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I don't know shit about what goes into their pizzas....but if you think "spending some money" buys you a better or healthier cake, you've got another thing coming. Tons of fancy bakeries use premade cake mix of the same type they use at Costco because the quality and consistency is better than almost anything you can produce at home.

Seriously, it's cake FFS. There isn't really such a thing as healthy pizza either, sorry to break it to you. Also, equating spending (lots) more money on artisan pizza and cake for your kid's birthday to being a better parent is some bullshit. 99% of the 12&under crowd is much, much happier with the cheap stuff, and it's their birthday, so give them what they want. And this is coming from someone who regularly gets unsolicited "Oh wow, that's a healthy cart" comments from the cashiers and receipt checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post

Had not heard of the UMAi bags, I'll check them out, thanks.

Oh - another thing from Costco that's a great deal:

heavy whipping cream - 1/2 gallon for the price of about a quart at the grocery

No kids birthday is worth the cost of a real cake made with real buttercream. That's wasted money that could go to fun games or renting out a sweet place that the kids will appreciate versus a cake that will get destroyed regardless. And, if the goal is to use the best ingredients, you really should be making it yourself. Even the best bakeries know where they can save pennies.

On the spectrum of crap, Costco pizza isn't that bad (as Dan said, all pizza is crap). Minimal ingredients, no shortening, not crazy high in sugar. Their cake is shit, but shit cake a couple times a year isn't worth getting bent out of shape about. Making shit taboo is a great way to ensure that your kids want it and will do shady things to get it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    <snip> (as Dan said, all pizza is crap)
    Where does this old wives tale come from?

Know your baker.

Yes, some bakeries use shitty preserved mixes. Don’t buy from them either.

Mmm. Buttercream. Yes it is worth it.

All you dentist saving money buying in bulk but are cheap as fuck for your kids and their friends. I guess that is why I only can afford to buy old used skis.

Seriously, it's cake FFS. There isn't really such a thing as healthy pizza either, sorry to break it to you. Also, equating spending (lots) more money on artisan pizza and cake for your kid's birthday to being a better parent is some bullshit. 99% of the 12&under crowd is much, much happier with the cheap stuff, and it's their birthday, so give them what they want. And this is coming from someone who regularly gets unsolicited "Oh wow, that's a healthy cart" comments from the cashiers and receipt checkers.
    Dude. It is not about nutrition. It is about quality.

You feed kids shit food and that is what they will eat. I won’t do it. I don’t even serve pizza at my kids party. He’d want me to make my own and not serve something like the dough mound of shit that is Costco pizza.

Not cake is nutritious. Some are just an overload of refined sugar and preservatives and coloring. Not gonna serve that crap to my kid to save a few bucks.

Or sure, they don’t know any better, so fuck em... they are only my kids and all. Gotta save money for more toys.

/rant on yak thinking that shit is good to put in your mouths. Live on

<snip> but are cheap as fuck for your kids and their friends.
    Fuck those little scavengers that don't give a shit either way.

You're doing this one wrong...

Dude. It is not about nutrition. It is about quality.

You feed kids shit food and that is what they will eat.
    It's a party. They won't even notice/remember the shit food. As long as your normal routine is good, healthy food, your kids will (maybe) be fine and grow up not eating shit food.

Or, you know, they'll rebel and you'll watch with horror as they spend their teens and 20's eating Taco Bell.

Hilarious. He buys the bakery loaves but draws the line at the cakes. Costco wasn’t worth it when I lived alone but it is now.

Had not heard of the UMAi bags, I'll check them out, thanks.
    They've gotten easier to use as an automatic vacuum sealer works with the bags. If you don't have a vacuum sealer then putting the bag in water (keep the opening out of the water of course) after the steak is inserted to help get the air out and then sealing the opening before pulling the bag out of the water will also work.

Sure. But I don’t need to be an enabler and trainer or doing it cause real food cost to much to spend on my kid.

Adults would eat at our parties as well. When we were doing the big park parties for the littles it was also a social even for us. Good food is always gonna be a part of. Not some shitty food cause it cost less.

I have no issue with fast food crap btw. My only issue with TAco Bell is we have a shot ton of great Taquiera in walking distance. If he chooses TB over those, he mine as well buy a snowboard.

(Actually don’t care about the snowboard thing....)

<snip>

I have no issue with fast food crap btw.
    You, sir, are quite the enigma. I approve.

And a vegan sandwiches with fava bean mint purée with sliced veggies.
    Your kids and my kids are very different. Mine would throw that sandwich at me, punch me in the dick, tell me I embarrassed her in front of her friends, ruined her party, and then run off crying if I tried to serve that to her and her friends.

Kids like shitty food. The entire soda and fast food industry is based on that. It's their birthday and I'll back off on that day. I'm not trying to virtue signal and project to other parents by spending a bunch of money in an arena where it is lost on the crowd receiving it. Kids like cake because it is soft, moist and sweet. Kids like pizza because it is soft, moist and savory. Do the kids give a single shit if the pizza was made with organic cheese from cows that were massaged every day and olive oil harvested and hand pressed by 18 year old Italian virgins? No. They only care if it tastes good to their un-developed pallet. It's the right tool for the job. Nothing more.

And please spare me the 'it's not pizza' argument. Pizza was originally made to be cheap food for the masses from its origins. Bread, sauce, cheese, maybe meat, and maybe something extra. Portable and required no plating. Stop trying to make it exclusive high art. Its origin story is born of famine in the middle ages.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's a party. They won't even notice/remember the shit food. As long as your normal routine is good, healthy food, your kids will (maybe) be fine and grow up not eating shit food.

Or, you know, they'll rebel and you'll watch with horror as they spend their teens and 20's eating Taco Bell.

This. I'm all about healthy eating, but you aren't going to ruin them by letting them get crunked on junk food occasionally. My kid just had a birthday. We bought cheap pizza and cake and spent the real money on a 2-hour private Go Kart session for him and seven of his friends. Pretty sure he preferred that to wood-fired arugula and prosciutto pizzas and a cake made by some Duff Goldman wannabe.

Y’all are a pretty easy troll ffs.

But, yeah, that shit ain’t pizza.

Would y’all be as upset if I told you Krispy Kreme sucks as well?

The costco thread

where you can find the price of everything

and the value of nothing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Your kids and my kids are very different. Mine would throw that sandwich at me, punch me in the dick, tell me I embarrassed her in front of her friends, ruined her party, and then run off crying if I tried to serve that to her and her friends.
    Sounds like *you* should probably do it, then. That's a sure sign of proper parenting.