Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I bought those socks on Galdemasters recommendation. I wore them once and donated them all way, they are so fucking thick it's ridiculous for summer use or even winter use unless I'm hiking. Or do they make thinner ones I didn't see?

And who the fuck needs 2-3 pounds of ONE KIND of cheese? I eat cheese every day, it goes bad before I can finish it usually, except for Parmesan and a few others. I still buy small amounts though so I can have a bunch of different kinds at once.

I hope you guys are buying exlax in bulk with your fancy cheese savings.

2lb block cut into 8oz pieces then vacseal the ones you aren't eating. Love me some aged cheddar, costco here on the fun coast carries tillamook instead of cabot but both are tasty.

Some of us have families that help us eat what we buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    lots of people love the costco merino hikers, so maybe I just got a bum batch or maybe I'm just pickier about my socks than I realized, dunno. But the smartwools and darn toughs I have fit way better.
    100% on fit, but for a 100-day-per-year sock that I wear in my sorel's, the thickish Costco "merinos" have been great

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Srsly. I'd think it's actually pretty *dumb* to be a Costco member if you're single...

Agree, I really should not be eating a container of Enstrom toffees by myself.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    2lb block cut into 8oz pieces then vacseal the ones you aren't eating. Love me some aged cheddar, costco here on the fun coast carries tillamook instead of cabot but both are tasty.
    Vac-sealing to save some cheddar pennies seems a bit much, but if I had a sealer why not..

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I'm just trying to set up a constipation-in-saggy-socks joke here, don't ruin it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Agree, I really should not be eating a container of Enstrom toffees by myself.
    Goddammit. Those things are delicious...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Srsly. I'd think it's actually pretty *dumb* to be a Costco member if you're single...
    I became a costco member when I was single, but I did do many big-group trips that Costco helped with. Plus, I started to get annoyed that I couldn't shop there, and $50/yr was worth it to me to do away with that annoyance. Still is.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I became a costco member when I was single, but I did do many big-group trips that Costco helped with. Plus, I started to get annoyed that I couldn't shop there, and $50/yr was worth it to me to do away with that annoyance. Still is.
    I suppose once they got ya... they got ya.

Our Costco trips have definitely changed quite a bit going from a household of 5 to a household of 3... and if I became single again, I'd probably keep the membership, even if it was rationally a dumb thing to do.

and if I became single again, I'd probably keep the membership, even if it was rationally a dumb thing to do.
    There's much dumber ways to spend $4/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I probably save $4 a month just by buying my cheese there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What do I want from Costco?

I’m a premium member by accident of gf. The roadside assistance gives it value for money but I may drop it when Lemonade starts car insurance

I got membership exclusively for Prime Beef but the quality is spotty. I have a Nugget less than a mile away now and their market steaks are excellent.

I probably save $4 a month just by buying my cheese there.
    One brick of Parmigiano Reggiano and a pack of steaks and you're even for the year.

I had the racks of lamb in my hand and put them back. Regretting that. My FIL is craving lamb too.

I don't know. I got my mortgage through their portal and ended up with a lower rate and WAY lower fees than I'd gotten through other avenues. The fee cap alone paid for my membership for many years (though you don't have to carry the membership through the mortgage). I've also had good luck with things like rental cars through their portal compared to Expedia like outlets (though with the recent rental car scarcity it hasn't been as useful).

I'm changing my opinion. It is *not* dumb, even if you're single, to have a Costco membership. Costco is pretty damned cool, regardless of the number of people in your household.

I'm changing my opinion. It is *not* dumb, even if you're single, to have a Costco membership. Costco is pretty damned cool, regardless of the number of people in your household.
    Exactly. I just would buy different things. Or not as often. I'd still buy TP there. And gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Right? It's a lot cheaper than a drug habit, for example.

Anyone notice how high steak has gotten at Costco? Peeled prime tenderloin was $35.99/lb on Monday. Is there a beef shortage now too?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Costco averages somewhere between 15-20% discount compared to Walmart or the standard grocery. So you need to spend $300-400 a year to break even on that $60 fee… A single person can easily get there with a big purchase or two and some booze buying.

If you don’t mind the parking lot and cash register shit show, and you have space to store that pallet of paper towels, Costco makes sense.

For bulk food buying; there are restaurant supply warehouse stores that don’t require a membership; Cash&Carry, US Foods, Smart Foodservice, etc… Not as much selection, but the parking lot is way better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Can you even fight in a Costco parking lot?

I think it's worth it for the gas alone. I think the avg savings is usually around 0.25 per gallon, my truck takes 30 gallons, if I fill up once a month, it saves me $90 a year. I live close enough to a costco that I can almost fill up there exclusively.

And don't get me started on the savings on lox.

Dads sure love Costco deals and talking to other dads about their Costco deals.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Dads sure love Costco deals and talking to other dads about their Costco deals.
    I'm an Executive Member. Every year I get a rebate coupon that's worth more than the cost of my membership, so technically they pay me to shop there.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-22-2021 at 05:56 PM.