Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Nice work, Noslow. Should start a new thread though. This is old news!

80 bucks for a mid-week pass at MSMS? You could buy some skins for that kind of dough.

Good thing their web developer has you answering the same questions over and over to register. Sometimes I forget who I am and need these numerous pages looking for the same information. Frick! Doubt I'll ski there again this season but the addiction is strong and I must get out on a hill, even though it is less than half open.

As far as buying skins goes, you need natural snow to make that work. Long range forecast has the word 'fore' in it. Dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    80 bucks for a mid-week pass at MSMS? You could buy some skins for that kind of dough.

Good thing their web developer has you answering the same questions over and over to register. Sometimes I forget who I am and need these numerous pages looking for the same information. Frick! Doubt I'll ski there again this season but the addiction is strong and I must get out on a hill, even though it is less than half open.

As far as buying skins goes, you need natural snow to make that work. Long range forecast has the word 'fore' in it. Dammit!
    $80 for MSM on a good day is insane. WHat happened to $50 everywhere in Ontario? Shit that must've been 20 years ago, I feel old.

What a difference a few days make - had a look at BM's webcams and it's looking pretty good. Hills were more grass than snow just a few days ago.

MSLM got around 10cm overnight of natural snow and they had the snow makers blaring all night. Midland got about 20cm overnight and it looks like Collingwood got a decent amount too.

Hopefully it won’t warm up as much this weekend as they are forecasting.

Skins are worth it. The snow will come, things are lining up for lake effect goodness IMHO. Might as well stay positive for now. Pic is within city limits of Huntsville, a couple of years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skin up.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	395802
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    MSLM got around 10cm overnight of natural snow and they had the snow makers blaring all night. Midland got about 20cm overnight and it looks like Collingwood got a decent amount too.

Hopefully it won’t warm up as much this weekend as they are forecasting.
    I think they must have groomed during the night. Areas off piste had a nice depth of powder but on piste was about 2 or 3 inches of fresh. Glad to get some turns in but not sure when I'll get back out. Local is spraying the guns liberally but the next two weeks look miserable for warmth.

Packing the bikes and canoe for a trip to the shores of Lake Huron this morning. Winter has decided to wait.

MSLM always grooms early morning so that they are usually finishing up everywhere just before opening. When both hills are open and there’s snow overnight, they have been leaving a few “powder” runs ungroomed on the Moonstone side which have been fun.

At Blue Mountain, they groom just before opening too but the Toronto Ski Club area always gets groomed just after 4:30pm the night before as there is no night skiing there. Always head there first if there is any overnight snowfall.

Blue opens tomorrow. Get at it!

Gonna be +15C and rainy this weekend. WTF, man!

And warm all next week. A bit of spring skiing to start the season.

Rain, warm weather this weekend and next week and you can see coverage issues on Blue Mountain web cams already. Don’t think I’ll be going there till the new year unless we get some storms soon.
    MSLM opening the main lift on the higher Moonstone side today and night skiing starting next Wednesday night.

MSLM has a LOT more snow than anyone else so they should brave the warmer weather better but still disappointing start for everyone this season.
    How hard it is to just stay below 0 for a bit? 🤦

How hard it is to just stay below 0 for a bit? 臘
    Damned hard apparently. D'oh!

Drove by Boler an hour ago. Coverage is amazing on the old hill. Don't think they'll open until after the warm spell though. And a mosquito is trying to go through my front window. Bugger!

Damned hard apparently. D'oh!

Drove by Boler an hour ago. Coverage is amazing on the old hill. Don't think they'll open until after the warm spell though. And a mosquito is trying to go through my front window. Bugger!
    You live in London too? Live here but always ski MSLM and Blue with trips out West every year. Always thought it was funny to have a 5 by 5 at MSLM and 5 by 7 at Blue before Ikon and it was still cheaper than a membership at Boler! Haha

It was warm this time last year as well - I remember on the 20th I had a backyard BBQ, and the 21st I was assembling a roof on the cabana. Then the xmas storm came and the 25th was FREEZING. It was pretty solidly cold after that as well IIRC.

So just a couple more weeks to wait I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    It was warm this time last year as well - I remember on the 20th I had a backyard BBQ, and the 21st I was assembling a roof on the cabana. Then the xmas storm came and the 25th was FREEZING. It was pretty solidly cold after that as well IIRC.

So just a couple more weeks to wait I guess...
    yeah we had a nice stretch of six weeks and then winter was over.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Winter in Eastern Canada doesn't start until the second week of January.

You live in London too? Live here but always ski MSLM and Blue with trips out West every year. Always thought it was funny to have a 5 by 5 at MSLM and 5 by 7 at Blue before Ikon and it was still cheaper than a membership at Boler! Haha
    That is a poop load of driving to go skiing. I'm content with a ten minute drive to the hill most days and then the occasional trip elsewhere. If you make it to Boler and see a whiskered old guy on teles don't forget to say hi. The beer's on me.

Hey Ontario friends, if you are anywhere near a magazine rack (a what?) in the near future, look for the latest issue of Ski Canada Magazine. This issue contains is an excellent article by Ian Merringer all about our new backcountry ski association (aka WWHSTA), powder skiing in the region and other backcountry skiing opportunities in Ontario. Also featured are bon mots from a few noted locals and some great images by our own pro lensman. I'll share an online version if/when it becomes available. Powder skiing in central Ontario gets national coverage, woot!

Edit: If you can't find the mag, you can pay $4 and get it online: https://www.zinio.com/ca/ski-canada/...y-2022-i533603

Name:  ski canada cover.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  83.2 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

^ Hey very cool, I'll be on the lookout for a physical copy. Haven't bought a magazine in years.

Will def. grab that magazine. AT bindings are on the way from Vancouver shortly.

Went up to Barrie yesterday to have a Christmas with grandma. First time I can remember there wasn't any snow there at all. Depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Hey Ontario friends, if you are anywhere near a magazine rack (a what?) in the near future, look for the latest issue of Ski Canada Magazine. This issue contains is an excellent article by Ian Merringer all about our new backcountry ski association (aka WWHSTA), powder skiing in the region and other backcountry skiing opportunities in Ontario. Also featured are bon mots from a few noted locals and some great images by our own pro lensman. I'll share an online version if/when it becomes available. Powder skiing in central Ontario gets national coverage, woot!

Edit: If you can't find the mag, you can pay $4 and get it online: https://www.zinio.com/ca/ski-canada/...y-2022-i533603

Name:  ski canada cover.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  83.2 KB

A couple of visits to magazine stands yesterday yielded nada. Found older issues of the mag but not the grail. Might have to go the on line route you posted. Anywho, thanks for the heads up.

With the new panic over covid and possible lockdowns I decided to visit MSLM again yesterday. Forecast looks good for local snow-making and opening before Santa dude arrives but Dougie could shut that down in a heartbeat.

Anyways, sunny morning and the snow was quite firm considering the previous days rain and current 13C. Wind kicked up as the morning proceeded and the crowds were minimal. Good trip to get the legs in shape. Had the air-con running for part of the drive home with indicated 18 degrees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211216_091859.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.36 MB 
ID:	397053

Damn guys, i hope they keep the ski hills open for ya's. They made it work in QC and there were no ski hill related outbreaks last year. I guess Doug don't have a chalet and ski buddies like papa Legros does. Hoping to get some rides in at Antoine this year when i see my old man for the holidays. They talked about a boxing day opening last time I checked.

ETA: MSLM shot looks tasty! Haven't been there since i was a teenager, but i drove by this summer.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    ETA: MSLM shot looks tasty! Haven't been there since i was a teenager, but i drove by this summer.
    You can see that it was quite busy.