Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Just found this thread, great Ontario stoke. If any of you folks are inclined to leave the chairlift behind and hike a little bit, there is a good community of powderhounds in Muskoka and thereabouts. We have lots of snow and similar-sized hills:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skiing in Ontario.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	392620

For more info check out wwhsta.org and join WWHSTA and the Almaguin Highands Backcountry Skiers on Facebook.

See you out there.

More Ontario stoke:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JeffWithParkaAtLimberlost.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	779.3 KB 
ID:	392621
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post

More Ontario stoke:

You're darned lucky that white wolf didn't catch up to you. I hear they are nasty up in that neck of the woods. Maybe you missed it in your pic?

Have to check out your links. Any 411 on Limberlost?

Picked up a canoe in Toronto yesterday and had a nice snowy drive home. The wet stuff began as we motored up the escarpment near Milton. Enough for a shuffle in a golf course I suppose. Yay winter.

Edit: And there be Limberlost Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by petey_; 11-15-2021 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Look at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Just found this thread, great Ontario stoke. If any of you folks are inclined to leave the chairlift behind and hike a little bit, there is a good community of powderhounds in Muskoka and thereabouts. We have lots of snow and similar-sized hills:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skiing in Ontario.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	392620

For more info check out wwhsta.org and join WWHSTA and the Almaguin Highands Backcountry Skiers on Facebook.

See you out there.

More Ontario stoke:

This is EXACTLY what my buddy Trev (snowboarder in previous pics) and I have been talking about. I knew there had to be some folks touring out there!

I am 100% down for something like this - if you're up for showing a couple guys around in Jan/Feb/Mar I would totally look forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    This is EXACTLY what my buddy Trev (snowboarder in previous pics) and I have been talking about. I knew there had to be some folks touring out there!

I am 100% down for something like this - if you're up for showing a couple guys around in Jan/Feb/Mar I would totally look forward to that.
    Absolutely. Keep your eye on the Facebook group for both informal and organized tours at Limberlost and elsewhere. It is pretty easy to find your way around there. Just make sure that you are out by 5, they close the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    You're darned lucky that white wolf didn't catch up to you. I hear they are nasty up in that neck of the woods. Maybe you missed it in your pic?

Edit: And there be Limberlost Thanks for the links.
    Ha, that white wolf is a cream puff named Parka. My new wolf is black and white, still needs to prove her mettle as a ski dog. The skier is not me, however, but noted local The Mann. I should also give the photographer, Scott Turnbull, credit for that one, we are fortunate to have a pro actively involved in the group.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska-RWC View Post
    Kirby suggested I post this here rather than in the gear swap subforum:

MAGGOTS IN TORONTO: HELP BUYING/SHIPPING SNOWBOARD?

I found a Volant/Aggression snowboard in West Bend that I want to buy for my 16 year old nephew, but the seller won't ship. Is there anybody I could talk into picking this up for me, boxing it, and sending it to AK? I'd kick in for your time/materials and obviously pay for shipping. I know PayPal works USD -> CDN.
    Giving this one last shot to find some help. After giving up I went ahead and showed my nephew the ad, and he thought it was REALLY cool. I sent the seller one more message asking if he'd reconsider shipping, and got radio-silence. Can anybody in Toronto help a guy out trying to get his nephew a cool Christmas present? I'll definitely throw some cash your way too for your time!

Giving this one last shot to find some help. After giving up I went ahead and showed my nephew the ad, and he thought it was REALLY cool. I sent the seller one more message asking if he'd reconsider shipping, and got radio-silence. Can anybody in Toronto help a guy out trying to get his nephew a cool Christmas present? I'll definitely throw some cash your way too for your time!
    Missed this. Where in Toronto is this person?

I live in Milton, if you're looking at a map. You can see that Toronto is massive and this could mean either a 30 minute drive or a 1 hour drive (one way) to pick up.

PM me.

Edit: NVM just looked myself. Never heard of "West Bend" which is why I just skimmed past your post. All those places around it - Roncesvalles , Junction, High Park - all commonly said. Anyway if this person is willing to meet me halfway somewhere, say at 65 Kelfield St. in Etobicoke on Tuesday Nov 23 any time between 11:00am-2:00pm then I'd be happy to help.

Alternative option is Sherway Gardens meetup in the evening, like 8pm. MON-THU.

I just prefer meeting up because driving in the core trying to find an address is a pain, and parking is even worse.

Missed this. Where in Toronto is this person?

I live in Milton, if you're looking at a map. You can see that Toronto is massive and this could mean either a 30 minute drive or a 1 hour drive (one way) to pick up.

PM me.

Edit: NVM just looked myself. Never heard of "West Bend" which is why I just skimmed past your post. All those places around it - Roncesvalles , Junction, High Park - all commonly said. Anyway if this person is willing to meet me halfway somewhere, say at 65 Kelfield St. in Etobicoke on Tuesday Nov 23 any time between 11:00am-2:00pm then I'd be happy to help.

Alternative option is Sherway Gardens meetup in the evening, like 8pm. MON-THU.

I just prefer meeting up because driving in the core trying to find an address is a pain, and parking is even worse.
    I <3 you. I emailed the CL seller and sent you a PM. I don't know Toronto neighborhoods at all; it just says "West Bend" in the CL ad.

Horseshoe is looking very good! Open this weekend? Check out their webcams.

https://horseshoeresort.com/webcams/

I <3 you. I emailed the CL seller and sent you a PM. I don't know Toronto neighborhoods at all; it just says "West Bend" in the CL ad.
    Hey everyone this to me is kind of funny and I have to share. So Alaska-RWC was this ----> <---- close to getting that snowboard. I have no problem picking it up and mailing it. So Alaska sends this Craigslist guy a message asking him to meet up with me at a common Toronto CL exchange spot (mall parking lot) and I gave some different dates/times that I could make work and just wanted Alaska to get the guy to contact me directly so he wouldn't have to play middleman anymore.

Anyway I go check in on the status today and this is what happened;

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 11:40 AM Missin Alaska <014fc737f7073bfbb2b1809479d7e00d@reply.craigslist . org> wrote:

Can you give Paul a call or text to confirm? [CELL PHONE #] He sent me this message:

FYI this person has not called/texted me yet. I can't go and meet up with someone unless I have their cell phone #, otherwise there's a risk of a late/no-show and/or we cannot find each other. You know.

Tell this jabroni to shoot me a text for the Wednesday meet-up!
    RE: SNOWBOARD IN TORONTO
    My lack of editing may have killed the deal. I've begged him a little and insisted that you meant it as a joke, and that jabroni is just a word The Rock invented to talk about lesser wrestlers. If I don't hear from him again I can assume it's off, and I still don't have his email address or phone. This is what he wrote back:

Does Paul know what "jabroni" means?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jabroni

Not sure what to say about this...I agreed to a date and time within a window of his choosing, even sent a map of the exact location. I was thinking a check-in on the day of the meet was all that was needed to confirm we were good. Apparently, Paul is much needier...and rude. I don't need $150 that bad.

I'm out.
    Oh man I feel bad but this is kind of funny, right? I mean, he did turn out to be a huge jabroni. Told ya it was weird to say "West Bend."

paulster2626, you're a gentleman and a prince for offering to help me out.

If any of you see an old stainless snowboard for sale in the Toronto area (or elsewhere), pass on the info! The seller deleted the CL ad, so it may pop back up again. Or he may set it on fire and toss it in a dumpster, who knows.

Just got an email that Mount St Louis Moonstone is opening this Friday Dec 3. Apparently they have used 21 million gallons through their snowmaking machines in the last 72 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Just got an email that Mount St Louis Moonstone is opening this Friday Dec 3. Apparently they have used 21 million gallons through their snowmaking machines in the last 72 hours!
    Good to know. Thanks! Might be camping those days so likely make it up there next week.

After looking at Horseshoe last week I figured they would open soon. The next few days of watching their cameras had me thinking otherwise. If wishes were horses yada yada yada.

Anyways, got out this morning at a local golf course for a bit of a shuffle. Ground was warm and I kept sinking through and then having a few pounds of snow stuck on the bases but who's complaining?

Name:	n 29 2021.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	394485
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211129_084420.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	394484  

Horseshoe opens on Wednesday. Second day is usually pretty quiet.

Horseshoe opens on Wednesday. Second day is usually pretty quiet.
    Hmm. I wonder how many runs. Would be nice to get out on Thursday, better than working.

EDIT: 5 runs, 2 chairs.
    Last edited by paulster2626; 11-29-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Rain Thursday Paulster. Should be pretty empty people wise but skiing in the rain is almost always great. Stay dry and the snow will be like butter.

Got another couple of inches overnight. Debating whether to go for a shuffle in the local golf course or not. Need to rewax if I go out. Spent a couple of hours yesterday switching bindings on two pairs of skis. One pair mounted too far back and would rather have Switchbacks on the wide boards and the X2 on the narrower. Drillpress sure makes that job easier.

Rain Thursday Paulster. Should be pretty empty people wise but skiing in the rain is almost always great. Stay dry and the snow will be like butter.

Got another couple of inches overnight. Debating whether to go for a shuffle in the local golf course or not. Need to rewax if I go out. Spent a couple of hours yesterday switching bindings on two pairs of skis. One pair mounted too far back and would rather have Switchbacks on the wide boards and the X2 on the narrower. Drillpress sure makes that job easier.
    I will wait until December. Like, real December not the first 10 days of December.

I will wait until December. Like, real December not the first 10 days of December.
    You never know, might be golf weather after the 10th.

Anyone riding lifts yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Anyone riding lifts yet?
    Looks awful at Horseshoe if the webcams are any indication!

Moonstone has way more snow and survived the earlier rain better it seems. They open tomorrow and might go if the weather holds.

Weather looking more promising next week and they can start making snow again with the temps dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Looks awful at Horseshoe if the webcams are any indication!

Moonstone has way more snow and survived the earlier rain better it seems. They open tomorrow and might go if the weather holds.

Weather looking more promising next week and they can start making snow again with the temps dropping.

The webcams didn't do it justice. It was worse than that. Seems like they opened early to beat Moonstone which looked vastly better. No way was I going to ski that junk and risk life, limb, and skis. You should do okay at Moonstone. Might drive back up next week.

Man. It's rough living in Ontario.

Looks like freeze-thaw horseshit for the next couple weeks.

Yeah this is a tough time of year. Agreed MSLM looks pretty decent. BM has a looong way to go.

Went to MSLM for opening day and despite the rain/freezing rain the day before, the conditions were pretty good. Some ice marbles which is common with a refreeze but great coverage and snowmaking blaring on soon to open areas.
    Hopefully more snow and less/no rain in the coming week!

Name:	A02AC6AB-D786-4234-8CD4-7AA6C1C90A5B.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	647.3 KB 
ID:	395279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0733A47-5A36-4C38-BA61-02F357B7EBDE.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1,003.8 KB 
ID:	395280

Wow that looks really great. Props for getting out there already.

Unofficial word to lifties doing the orientation at blue is opening on the 10th. Temps don’t look great for snow making though.