Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Well, it's spring and it's time to wrap things up I guess. So ends the shortest ski season in Ontario history. Glen Eden's last day announced as March 21 so time to make the best of it. People really stopped showing up around March 13 even though there's lots of snow left and nice sunshine. To me, these are some of the best ski days you can get! Important to get these kids out as much as possible - next year they want me to take them out west, looks like my single guy bro trips are coming to an end!

Earlier in March. No snow for miles, just the last of the man-made machine groomed Ontario magic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4447.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	368637

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	368638

And closing day. I broke out the old snowboard today, but I don't advertise this sport-adultery so there will be no photos of this madness. Blazing sun, it was HOT out there! At the top of Glen Eden's eastern chair there is a cool fire pit spot where you can't really tell where you are. It's quite pretty, and usually has a Colorado-vibe to it (when there's actually snow around, of course). My little girl was showing us how to relax.

Name:	IMG_4541.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	368639

And back for one last tailgate. Like I said, it was warm outside! Girl is high on sunshine and vitamin D, boy is clearly drunk on a ginger ale sugar high. Shortly afterwards he was running around like a maniac with a stick.

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	789.0 KB 
ID:	368640

So yeah, once things actually got rolling it was an okay year. The old adage 'Any Skiing Is Better Than No Skiing' was really put to the test, and this season getting outside and doing something was more important than ever. Looking forward to next winter - this pandemic can't possibly ruin two seasons of skiing right? RIGHT??? Maybe us long-suffering Ontario scum can assemble ourselves for a ski day somewhere in 2022. I'll bring the beer.

Cheers!!

nice! looks tasty and uncrowded! can't ask for better than that.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    nice! looks tasty and uncrowded! can't ask for better than that.
    Secret to Glen Eden is to get there at 8:30 before the Toronto hoards have had time to enjoy their avocado toast and drive out to the hill. It usually gets shitty around 11:00 and by then you're bored enough you want to leave anyway.

Just noticed that camera angle really makes Ms. Paulster look like she's got some serious man-hands!

Once again a good report Paulster. One of my nephews mentioned that GE shut it down on Sunday. You may have seen him out there, big dude on teles. Our hill plans to stay open until this coming Sunday but with all the rain in the forecast I'm not sure that will happen. Regardless, I booked a slot for 9 on Sunday morning. Hoping it gets below freezing Saturday night.

Yesterday we launched the canoe in Pinery Park so I'll have a boat on the car and skis in the car this week. Not sure if I'm coming or going when seasons get mixed up like this.

Name:	20210323_120331[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	368807

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Once again a good report Paulster. One of my nephews mentioned that GE shut it down on Sunday. You may have seen him out there, big dude on teles. Our hill plans to stay open until this coming Sunday but with all the rain in the forecast I'm not sure that will happen. Regardless, I booked a slot for 9 on Sunday morning. Hoping it gets below freezing Saturday night.

Yesterday we launched the canoe in Pinery Park so I'll have a boat on the car and skis in the car this week. Not sure if I'm coming or going when seasons get mixed up like this.
    Nice lookin' canoe! Living in Ontario starts to really not suck once you can get that in the water.

It will be even better when the parks are open for camping again. Day trips are meh. Trying to figure out the parks and what/when they are open is like reading tea leaves. The old covid has played havoc with our adventures. Went through half a dozen cancellations last year before they sorted things out. Not sure where this goes in 2021 but I got kicked out of Pinery back in January when they suddenly shut down again.

Blue mountain is making noise about trying to stay open through April. Hope the snow holds up. There is still a lot of snow and the skiing is still great!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Blue mountain is making noise about trying to stay open through April. Hope the snow holds up. There is still a lot of snow and the skiing is still great!
    They usually do. We hit the one-chair-open scene hard a couple years ago. Was a great vibe happening that day!

Name:	Slopes Share.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	368839

^ Nice one!

Ontario...

That word sounds so exotic to me.

Enjoyed your stoke this saison, hope to ski some of yas next winter.

Name:	20210325_123437.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	369021

Nice day for shorts at the local. Cold beer on the patio to cap the moment.

Shorts! Nice work - you don't get that opportunity out here very often!

Rain gear is in order today. Pouring out. Lemon juice, water, and sugar eh.

Let the stormy clouds chase everyone from the place
    Come on with the rain, I've a smile on my face

Boler is advertising they are open Friday through Sunday. Web cam looks iffy but hoping they shuffle some snow around. Of course that rug could be pulled by premier Dougie.

Below freezing Friday morning and ticket bought. Fingers crossed.

Boler is advertising they are open Friday through Sunday. Web cam looks iffy but hoping they shuffle some snow around. Of course that rug could be pulled by premier Dougie.

Below freezing Friday morning and ticket bought. Fingers crossed.
    Our stupid as shit government doesn't start its pseudo-lockdowns until after long weekends so I think you're good. I'd get out somewhere myself this weekend but I'm too busy trying to finish the backyard cabana before spring really kicks off. If you go please take some pics and share them!

Just seeing that season's passes will go on sale September 1st. Might be an idea to jump on that right away in case they limit the numbers. They did the limit thing last season but it became moot when they cancelled the passes and went to a book a time days in advance model. Prices will stay the same as last year. Can't wait to see the end of this heat and a return to snow and cold. Anyone else aware of where their hill is headed this year?

Just seeing that season's passes will go on sale September 1st. Might be an idea to jump on that right away in case they limit the numbers. They did the limit thing last season but it became moot when they cancelled the passes and went to a book a time days in advance model. Prices will stay the same as last year. Can't wait to see the end of this heat and a return to snow and cold. Anyone else aware of where their hill is headed this year?
    My kids lessons and our passes at the local - still zero word on that. Normally I have to book the lessons in February for next season to make sure I get my first-thing-Saturday-morning time slot. If I have to show up any later the parking lot is rammed and the lines are shit. Fuck that.

Actually gonna email them now.

Frost on the rooftops across the street this morning. 24C last week and now the countdown begins.

Full season passes sold out last month. Another covid winter?

Some nice turns to start last winter.

Name:	20210129_085649.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	389511

Hoo boy, we're a long ways off yet I think. Will be nice to have a normal-length season this time though!

If anyone would care to meet at Mont Chilly, which is more or less IN Ontario, I would love to get there one day. 430 ft of puckerbrush all served by one vintage t-bar. There can't be too many rules so my guess is that it would make a helluva tailgate.

Does anyone else smell a Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Upstate mini?

http://www.montchilly.ca/
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'm in Ottawa, have always wanted to hit Mt. Chilly but it's never lined up for me between weather and the kids racing schedule.

Hopefully this year.

Mont Chilly? Road trip!!

I think I have skied twice in October. Non resort for sure. Last time was 2008. Leaves still on the trees so venturing into the woods was a non starter. Sounded like a war going on with all the trees snapping branches. Stayed in the open and had a fine time on a small pitch. Tele and grip wax made for some fun turns. Driving to work the next day was interesting with all the downed wood on the streets.

November is a different story and Horseshoe has a good record of being the first to open in southern Ontario during that month. Pumpt!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm in Ottawa, have always wanted to hit Mt. Chilly but it's never lined up for me between weather and the kids racing schedule.

Hopefully this year.
    Where do your kids race? What age did they start? Also in Ottawa
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Kirby suggested I post this here rather than in the gear swap subforum:

MAGGOTS IN TORONTO: HELP BUYING/SHIPPING SNOWBOARD?

I found a Volant/Aggression snowboard in West Bend that I want to buy for my 16 year old nephew, but the seller won't ship. Is there anybody I could talk into picking this up for me, boxing it, and sending it to AK? I'd kick in for your time/materials and obviously pay for shipping. I know PayPal works USD -> CDN.