Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_it View Post
    Unless you've skied the gnar of the Nor'westers you haven't skied Ontario. Posers.
    Clearly this guy hasn't experienced a Glen Eden morning.

I honestly can't believe that you people in Ontario didn't burn the provincial legislature down for not opening the ski hills until mid-February.
    Especially the private club 1%ers. Of course based on parking lot surveys in the free provinces a lot of smart people are "working from home" in Fernie, Lake Louise, Revelstoke etc.
    Any skiing is good skiing but you have to be very motivated to ski Blue etc for any amount of time.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I honestly can't believe that you people in Ontario didn't burn the provincial legislature down for not opening the ski hills until mid-February.
    Especially the private club 1%ers. Of course based on parking lot surveys in the free provinces a lot of smart people are "working from home" in Fernie, Lake Louise, Revelstoke etc.
    Any skiing is good skiing but you have to be very motivated to ski Blue etc for any amount of time.
    Well that's the rub, isn't it?

On one hand, the skiing is so shit that it takes hard work and dedication to even bother with it here. On the other hand you wanted us to crave it so badly that we went outside our homes and complained to our stupid fuck Premier about it.

I knew it was going to open eventually, and all that means is I cram my usually-spread-out Ontario suffering ski days all together.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    You mean the old centennial park dump? Pretty sure it hasn't been in operation, well, forever ya boomer. 60' of vert?

Few ski hills would enjoy such surrounding population density though. At least we got that going for us!
    For the record, although it appears it did not open this year, the Centennial Park ski dump was open the last couple years, as that is where our kids got their start (we did over 50 "days" there with our young kids, record was our middle girl, who started at 19 months old, doing about 25' of vert per "run" with me walking alongside...).

We have since moved to Calgary and no longer get to enjoy the "commute" out to ski along the 400 series highways, but the trip to the mountains along the TC#1 here in Alberta can rival the 401 for sheer stupidity of drivers and danger/pucker factor... and the skiing is much better
    Last edited by aragon; 02-25-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: edit for clarity

This thread is outstanding.
    Comparing phenominally obscure ski areas is too funny. I've been to some boondocks ski areas but you guys are scaring me...
    I suspect the majority of us have spent more time kicking around these micro-meccas than we'd admit to.
    Paulster v.1jimbo and the kids are great.

"Skiing is more than just vert and adrenaline"

That's brilliant. Simple. Obvious. Truth.

I am lucky to have a prescription for a daily injection of both, but the humility of just wanting to make turns rings true in here.
    That's like a fresh breath of air. Which is way more important than adrenaline, last time I checked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yo Thaleia, word.

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    For the record, although it appears it did not open this year, the Centennial Park ski dump was open the last couple years, as that is where our kids got their start (we did over 50 "days" there with our young kids, record was our middle girl, who started at 19 months old, doing about 25' of vert per "run" with me walking alongside...).

We have since moved to Calgary and no longer get to enjoy the "commute" out to ski along the 400 series highways, but the trip to the mountains along the TC#1 here in Alberta can rival the 401 for sheer stupidity of drivers and danger/pucker factor... and the skiing is much better
    Welcome to Cowtown! If ever in Panorama, ping me...we can do a run or two....I have skied Centennial. Lived in Etobicoke during grade 5-8. Went there a few times. Also took buses up to St Louis and Talisman on PD days.

As for hidden spots, I have also skied Sir Sams Inn...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Comparing phenominally obscure ski areas is too funny. I've been to some boondocks ski areas but you guys are scaring me...
    I suspect the majority of us have spent more time kicking around these micro-meccas than we'd admit to.

I am lucky to have a prescription for a daily injection of both, but the humility of just wanting to make turns rings true in here.
    That's like a fresh breath of air. Which is way more important than adrenaline, last time I checked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yo Thaleia, word.
    Fucking A DJ thanks for checking in on us.

Guys if you don't know Djongo check his 'Big One' aka the Jackson Hole Thread for non stop stoke. Wicked vibe. And the photos there. "We can dream"

Paulster et al. good job on this thread this is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Onaping/Levack? Or, are you talking The Soo and Thunderbay? Further west? It's a big province.
    Grew up skiing Onaping and searchmont. Good times up there.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Ski hill isn't bad, neither is the track (Calabogie Motorsports Park) for non-winter automotive escapades.

Edit to add: this past weekend they did not limit the number of tickets sold at Calabogie, nor did they have an online reservation system. Although, typical COVID stuff was in effect, social distancing, masks and whatnot.
    Sweet thx for the beta
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post

NO WAY. My non-covid work office is about 5 min away from there. You mean I could be crushing lunchtime laps???!!!

This changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yo Thaleia, word.
    When DJ gives a stamp of approval, we've truly made it. What a Friday - mood right now:

lol anyone notice my handle, Nuff said.
    Growing up I was a very technical skier at a tiny ski hill, now when I go back, I just take the whole thing in ... with flexion, then extension. And yeah I am over it.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Grew up skiing Onaping and searchmont. Good times up there.
    I grew up skiing out of North Bay and we'd race at Searchmont. Fun hill.

In Ottawa now, Calabogie is indeed a pretty fun hill. There's some decent glades in a good snow year.

Quote Originally Posted by cobblehiller View Post
    lol anyone notice my handle, Nuff said.
    A full moon and clear night was the bomb at that hill. Too bad they closed down as it was a nice break from Boler.

Best to get after it in Southern Ontario. Next week stays above freezing at night. Going to be lucky if we get another two weeks out of this snow pack. They did build up the snow significantly in a few spots that can be pushed over the opening dirt but nature is going to nature. Saw my first flying bug yesterday but we have just gone back to below freezing in the last hour.

Short report this morning. Sunday back to the Great Glen Eden because there is covid so what the hell else we gonna do?

One picture yesterday - nice and foggy in the morning, "maybe it's clear at the top!"

It wasn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4403.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	365361

Show was nice - kinda slushy spring conditions.

No tailgate today - too cloudy and not that nice in general so we decided to have a home picnic by the fire. It was a good decision.

Name:	IMG_4404.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	365362

Excited to travel to ski again.

Time to play a game: can anyone name this popular Ontario ski resort? The answer is below!

Name:	IMG_4419.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	366392

x

x

x

Yes, it's the fabulous Horseshoe Valley! Complete with condos, a bar when covid isn't around, and a ski hill, it's a true winter and summer fun-fest! Well, the kids like it, at least. Plus, skiing with them (and OG Jimbo) on Friday was better than working or going to school, for sure. I broke my arm here once on a high school ski trip, what a great time that was.

Here are the stats:
    • Vertical 94 metres (308 ft)
    • Top elevation 406 metres (1,332 ft)
    • Base elevation 312 metres (1,024 ft)
    • Skiable area 24.7 hectares (61 acres)
    • Runs 29
    • Longest run 670 metres (2,200 ft)
    • Lift system 8 (1 detachable six-person, 2 triples, 3 doubles, 1 surface, 1 Magic Carpet)
    • Lift capacity 11,400/hour
    • Drive time from the GTA: 1 hour

Lift ticket cost: Adult $79 / Child and Senior $59. Yikes!

Here's the trail map. What a fantastic place:

Name:	HVTrailMap.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	366393

No action shots, unless you count enjoying some hot chocolate as action. "Face masks not required when eating or drinking." They've got these standing-up tables for people to take a break outside. Well spaced-out, never felt safer in my life. Fuck this virus...

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	875.1 KB 
ID:	366396

OG Jimbo says "this place is better than I remember." Take that as you will. Until next time!!

Name:	IMG-20210307-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	366535

Any guesses on this hill? Got a few runs in on Saturday morning.

Horseshoe is my normal go to for the start of the season. Always one of the earliest to open and generally in November. Last season was no different and got my first runs of the season in there. That season started well and our local hill also opened in November. I think they were hoping to have a record year at Boler but covid shut us down mid-March.

Not looking forward to rain and 18 degrees on Thursday but will book another couple of days next week. Planning to camp in Algonquin this weekend so maybe some nordic shuffling will be in order.

Pretty urban spot - Centennial?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Pretty urban spot - Centennial?
    Adanac in Sudbury. Had a nice sunny morning. The drive up highway 69 just keeps getting better and better. One of these years I'll try and hit Lively. Always fun to hit a new hill to add to the list.

Adanac in Sudbury. Had a nice sunny morning. The drive up highway 69 just keeps getting better and better. One of these years I'll try and hit Lively. Always fun to hit a new hill to add to the list.
    Ha! STFU! I was staring at the photo trying to think if it was. But your photo makes it look way huger than it is, and the hills in the distance look smaller than in real life. I was also trying to see the apartment building with the PizzaHut shaped roof, but i think it is just to the left of your shot. I grew up in Sudbury, lived about a 5 min drive away. Best friend in high school lived next door. Clocked in many many hours at that little bump. Both in summer and winter. It closed down for ages and only re-opened recently. They did a real nice job with the lodge there and I think the chair lift came from Antoine Mountain in Mattawa (just past North Bay). Before that was a t-bar and a trailer at the base where you could by hot chocoloate or chicken noodle soup that came in a little styrofoam cup. Pretty neato spot, owned by the City. I always make sure to pay a visit when i go see my Dad.
    27° 18°

Agreed that photo makes Adanac look huge. Only skied there once and I remember we had to climb up from the top of the lift to get to the race course.

The drive up highway 69 just keeps getting better and better.
    nice
    27° 18°

They did replace the chairlift in the last five(?) years. Still the same height hill though.

A number of the bridges on 69 have opened recently. French River and the Pickerel both have the new spans paved. No idgits on the drive up. Typically you putter along at 90 until one of the passing sections opens up to two lanes. Go up to 120 and everybody pulls away from you. Get back to the single lane again and it drops back to 90. WTF!? 140 puts you in stunt driving territory but seems to be the best way to get past the knuckle heads. I give it two years and it will be four lanes all the way from Toronto to Sudbury.

I give it two years and it will be four lanes all the way from Toronto to Sudbury.
    yeah we used to say the same thing 30 years ago.
    27° 18°

Name:	20210319_095556.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	368026

Nice to have freezing over night. Should be another week of turns. Easter anyone?