Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pulse Labs Proflex

Has anybody installed these and have any feedback on whether they accomplish what they claim to?

It seems too good to be true, I mean, if it was that simple everybody'd be doing it, eh... but I'd be very happily corrected if they work. The fact that they've been available for two years and I can't find even a tiny bit of real world feedback about them adds to my scepticism. With all the bellyaching we do around here about boots being too soft someone has to have tried them. Anybody?

https://pulsefitsystem.com/accessories

I use them, I think they are awesome, but they do limit ROM somewhat. Definitely make a boot stiffer and I love how it comes up higher in the front.

Rad! That's what I was hoping to hear. As a tall guy increased cuff height also sounds great. I'd trade a little ROM for some stiffness in the application I'm considering. What boot are you using them with?

Had my liners heated there. Felt like i was dealing with vacuum cleaner salesman. $90!? Ill pass

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Rad! That's what I was hoping to hear. As a tall guy increased cuff height also sounds great. I'd trade a little ROM for some stiffness in the application I'm considering. What boot are you using them with?
    I’ve used them in quite a few boots actually, Lange ZA, XT free 140, xt3 and k2 pinnacle 130s. It does change the flex profile a bit, makes things a bit stiffer off the top, but I still really enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I’ve used them in quite a few boots actually, Lange ZA, XT free 140, xt3 and k2 pinnacle 130s. It does change the flex profile a bit, makes things a bit stiffer off the top, but I still really enjoy them.
    Interesting. Generally I prefer boots to engage quickly. Have you moved the same pair around just drilling new holes to make them fit?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Had my liners heated there. Felt like i was dealing with vacuum cleaner salesman. $90!? Ill pass

I don't know man, the amount of effort, time, and money I spend trying to dial in boots, $65USD doesn't really faze me. Ymmv.

I don't know man, the amount of effort, time, and money I spend trying to dial in boots, $65USD doesn't really faze me. Ymmv.
    Copy that. We all have different needs/wants

Interesting. Generally I prefer boots to engage quickly. Have you moved the same pair around just drilling new holes to make them fit?
    I moved them from pinnacles to xt frees to xt3s no problem

Also pulse makes the best footbeds I have ever had, and I’ve had a lot.

Expensive shop, but cool guys IMO

If your looking, I have a set I never ended up installing.

Thanks, I have a line on a pair from a buddy who never installed them either. Probably going to give them a try

Well I still don't know how they ski, but I'm not real impressed with the install process. Here's where I got to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zgtp.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	364053

That's not going to work. I contacted Pulse and they said "With large sizes we sometimes redrill the hole on the boot for the instep buckle ladder." I'm not impressed. The Zero g is specifically called out as compatible. Relocating a buckle is not called out as part of the install.

It looks like the area around the buckle and the ladder are thicker (reinforced) so I'm not too excited about relocating the buckle to the thin unreinforced grilamid. I doubt Pulse is going to buy me new boots if it blows through the plastic. What are the chances the buckle pulls out? IDK this is annoying. I don't mind drilling new holes in boots, I've relocated ladders on cuffs many times, but this seems like a higher likelihood of destroying some very expensive hardware. Maybe I'll just go full GoldenBC, cannibalize some old boots and DIY it. And send these things back.

I concede

What size is your boot?

Too bad they don’t fit, tons of space for me at 25.5

Well I still don't know how they ski, but I'm not real impressed with the install process. Here's where I got to

Name:	zgtp.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	364053
    Maybe I'll just go full GoldenBC, .
    Nice...

Get an old pair of boots, remove cuff, heat up lower shell and cut out similarly shaped but larger pieces from the old boot and screw to the new boot. Flip over to try a version that affects the walk mode less and reduces lower shell buckling.

Mr. Pretzels comments kind of worry me about the pulse tongue. Stiffer off the top but not everywhere else? The shape makes me think it would buckle at the same time the stock lower would, or shortly after.

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	929.8 KB 
ID:	364067

Name:	IMG_5962.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	875.2 KB 
ID:	364068

or flip it upside down and put them on the opposite boot to look just like the Pulse tongue

That mod looks sweet, you seem like an absolutely awesome bootfitter.

I should clarify it is definitely stiffer through the full ROM with the pulse, it just change the flex profile to a bit stiffer off the top. For example when I used to ski the ZA’s I would overflex the boot and irritate my haglunds, but with the proflex that completely went away.

Slow year... haha. Thanks though.

That's good to hear that it works well. It's kind of funny companies can't do this shit themselves. I'm still waiting on the atomic redster clubsport XTD ... @onenerdykid ????

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	929.8 KB 
ID:	364067

Name:	IMG_5962.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	875.2 KB 
ID:	364068

or flip it upside down and put them on the opposite boot to look just like the Pulse tongue
    This is awesome. Any tips on how to heat and cut? I've got some boots ready for surgery. A hacksaw blade was my first thought, clean it up with a rasp or file. Did this help with the lower bowing out on lighter boots like the hawx xtd or ZGTP, etc? Or did you turn to the dalbello tongue mod for that?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    That mod looks sweet, you seem like an absolutely awesome bootfitter.

I should clarify it is definitely stiffer through the full ROM with the pulse, it just change the flex profile to a bit stiffer off the top. For example when I used to ski the ZA’s I would overflex the boot and irritate my haglunds, but with the proflex that completely went away.
    I also questioned whether this would keep these lighter weight touring boots from folding when deeper in the flex. That it didn't happen for you in heavier boots is encouraging at least. Although I do wonder if it all acts the same on a 29.5 boot as a 25.5

You should also be able to cannabalize Krypton tongues. I used one to raise the cuff on my XTDs, although I wish I had kept the ankle curve now. Was worried it would destroy walk mode ROM

Edit: JK, forgot Krypton tongues have the spring shape at the bend. Can't. That's why I didnt keep

Their power straps look a lot nicer than the NRS straps I'm currently using. Anyone use them on the softer Lupo tongue?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Anyone using them at all?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The power strap is very nice if you like a static strap. Wide, light weight and the cam is easy to release and crank down

I'm just going to leave an update here on my experience with Pulse.

In light of the proflex not fitting my boot in the way that their ad copy and install video explicitly claimed it would, I asked if they'd give me a return shipping label. They would not. So I can pay $20 to ship them back to canada and be in the hole $30 for shipping, total, to get a $65 refund.

In none of my communication with them did they even offer the hint of an acknowledgement that the information about their product is incomplete (misleading, actually) on their site. If they'd just said, hey sorry we fucked up on that, here's what you have to do, we promise your boots won't explode, I could have walked away happy. But they didn't and it's a little bit fucking annoying and I'd rather not support the company.
    There, that's my story. YMMV.

I recommend checking out GoldenBC's threads for ways to make your own. Seems like a lot more fun and you don't have to give a nickel to the vacuum cleaner salesmen.

Now, can any of you bootfitters tell my what the easiest way to cut boot plastic is?