What have you Macgyvered

Macgyver used to save the modern free world with a swiss army knife and whatever was handy week after week all in a 1 hr episode which always appealed to my mechanical side cuz I had to do this all the time fixing HW

so whom amongst you embraces/ have embraced their inner Macgyver ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door fix1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	363603

DW door was kind of flacid so i took out the DW and found a broken cord, the only appliance shop in town is on vaca, the part is around 40 $ for a piece of cord with 2 plastic ends and that set of plastic pulleys which don't really need replacing SO can it be macgyvered ?

I find the old der cable off my yeti 5.5 lying on the floor where i dropped it, chop to length build a new cable using a couple of aluminium cable clamps from the building supply. a few months later door is flacid again, did my fix fail?

No the other door cord had broke so i went back out and found the rest of the der cable, on the floor where i dropped it, build another cable,

the total cost was about 5 $ instead of 80-100 $ and the waiting for parts, lesson learned if something breaks the other one is also about to break so replace it pre-mptively
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Growing up in the rust belt our cars would fall apart from the all the rust. Common to see mufflers on the side of the road along with other various parts.

One day when I was in college I headed out on solo hike. It was pouring rain and I was most certainly very baked. Real close to the trail head the strap holding my muffler gave out. The muffler was still attached to the engine, but dragging on the ground. I wasn't gonna driver any more if I didn't have to. Though this was right around the time cell phones were becoming commonplace, I had left mine at home...Looking around at where I was, there were a few farm homes I could maybe get help from, but I wasn't there yet.

Taking stock of the car I had a leatherman in my center counsel (thanks dad) and some wire coat hangers in the trunk. After 5 minutes (and burning my hand) I was able to hang the muffler with a coat hanger or two and back on the road.

I took the car to a shop later that day, they were cool and fixed it proper for no charge.

After that I always carried some bailing wire in that car too.

Not me, but the sickest thing I ever saw was a buddy lose a pivot bolt on his bike and cut a willow branch to size and finish the 12 mile ride...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I replaced a ski boot cuff bolt with a Burton baseplate mounting hardware and a nylock nut off a binding strap.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Broke a throttle cable on my girlfriend's '70 VW bug back in HS, so I yanked out a speaker wire going from the stereo to rear speakers, tied it to the carburetor throttle arm and ran it through the lid vent to the driver's side window. Got home with my arm out the window using it as a hand throttle.

I knocked the splash guard off a Mazda 3 trying to drive a bit too far up a dirt road that required higher clearance. The plastic clips that held it on all sheered off. The car was full of people and gear, so no good place to put the splash guard.

I used the silver arms from a couple of binder clips to re-attach it.

plastic clip:

binder clip:

Drove it like that for hundreds of miles.

Our knuckle head Shepinois chewed my wife's brand new custom clog. Bondo to the rescue. Some of my best woodworking has been with bondo.

Name:	61171652_3311305275562052_190479132402909184_o.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	363615

Name:	61252670_3311684278857485_2579959427046047744_o.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	363616

Name:	61044756_3311686298857283_7374314025229746176_o.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	363617

We were skiing out of my brothers place in Tahoe with his friend and his friends brother. The friends brother fucking chucked it off a cliff on the first day and blew out his ACL. His brother was pissed. Fucking screaming at him about how the vacation was screwed. His brother tells him to fuck off. Says, pull in here at the ace hardware store. He goes limping on in the store and comes back out in about 15 minutes with two pieces of flat iron that had been Cut in half, drilled and held together with bolts. He Put one of those pieces of flat iron on either side and duck tapes that shit right to his fucking leg. Skied the rest of the week that way with no problems at all.

His brother was still pissed though.

I prefer the term "redneck engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Our knuckle head Shepinois chewed my wife's brand new custom clog. Bondo to the rescue. Some of my best woodworking has been with bondo.]
    Strong work ^^

anybody can do dumb ass shit, I could just pull up old red/green episodes, I'm more interested in more permanent fixes that show ingenuity this side of redneck engineering
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    We were skiing out of my brothers place in Tahoe with his friend and his friends brother. The friends brother fucking chucked it off a cliff on the first day and blew out his ACL. His brother was pissed. Fucking screaming at him about how the vacation was screwed. His brother tells him to fuck off. Says, pull in here at the ace hardware store. He goes limping on in the store and comes back out in about 15 minutes with two pieces of flat iron that had been Cut in half, drilled and held together with bolts. He Put one of those pieces of flat iron on either side and duck tapes that shit right to his fucking leg. Skied the rest of the week that way with no problems at all.

His brother was still pissed though.
    man really macguyvered his fkn acl
    swing your fucking sword.

If you own something for long enough you'll have to Macgyver it at some point. One of my finest moments was patching a blown rad hose in the middle of nowhere on my way to a New Years eve party. This was before cell phones and time was of the essence - I didn't want to miss the party, so outside assistance would have been of little use. I scoured the car for useful bits and managed to scare up a chunk of rubber floor mat, a beer can and a bunch of zip ties. I put the floor mat against the split in the hose, cut the ends off the beer can, split it lengthways, wrapped it tightly around the floor mat and secured it with the zip ties. I left the cap of the rad cracked afterwards so the cooling system wouldn't pressurize too much. I made it to the party, skied the next day and drove it more than 100 miles before I finally found a replacement hose. It barely leaked!

Older tundra with power seats. After some vigorous offroading seat is loose clunking up and down. Pull it out and one of the arms to go up and down had sheared. I drilled a hole in each sheared piece and put a skateboard mounting screw through it. 4 years later it still holds.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

In the mid 80s I knew a guy who went to the Himalayas with a (then) small camcorder. It took a tumble and a circuitboard was cracked far from a soldering iron. He heated up a piece of coat hanger inside some bamboo over a fire and resoldered the connections. It worked.

I has photoshopy.

Name:	DPS TECH.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	363648

Back when I was a teleskier in the high plains, the closest ski shop with parts was a six hour drive one way. Got pretty good making risers out of laminating cutting boards with epoxy and encyclopedia books as a press. Bandsaw, sand, flash, drill and countersink mounting screws, then mounted those &%#$ing bindings. G3 probably lost money every year from shipping warranty parts to me until I moved west.

I did these a while back. They treated me so well for so long. I still kinda miss them. Only thing that has skied better than them was the Ghost 130. I moved the stock cuff buckle down and moved the power strap higher. Then I installed a new buckle in between the two.

In addition to the extra retention, I used the fischer Vac machine. I heated the shells up in the Salomon oven, put intuition toe caps on, then used Salomon cooling pads and the fischer compression bags. I ended up with a boot that took an impression of my foot, aligned the cuffs, and left me some room in the front from the intuition caps. All with the ability to tour pretty well.

I've since gone from that boot in a 25.5 to a 26.5 cochise and now xt3. I like touring a bit more and I actually have blood in my feet. I miss the laser precision though.

Name:	IMG_20210218_190938.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	363655

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Back in my ski bum days we had a Saab 900 as our shared car among the roommates. One day the windshield washer pump quit so I said I’d fix it as I had the next day off. When I went to the parts store the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted a new reservoir and lines as well. Somehow that got my gears turning and I replaced the whole system... but I filled the reservoir with Jim Beam and ran the lines into the glovebox. When you pulled on the windshield washer stalk, you got tasty Jim Beam delivered out of the glovebox. Probably not the most responsible thing in hindsight, but we sure loved our Beam and Cokes back in the day. Not really a MacGuyver but I was proud of the repurpose.

Patched a tear in the bumper cover on my white 4 Runner with a few sticks of (used) Wrigley Spearmint. It was still there when I sold it 8 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums