Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski pole wrap for extra grip?

I want to add additional grip to my ski poles, which only have a standard handle. Most appealing are the Batons d'Alains or something similar (Batons below. Black Crows makes a similar product, I think), but I'm not really inclined to spend the $$ if I can get most of the functionality for myself.

Name:  3wnLmMw.png
Views: 4311
Size:  581.9 KB

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this yourself? A few ideas I have heard:

1. Climbing tape - but it wears quickly, leaves sticky residue.
    2. Bike handlebar tape - but I'm not sure it will offer enough grip. Specifically, I'm looking for a way to add more relief between the ridges.

I'm thinking of using handlebar tape but then pre-wrapping the pole with cord or wire to add the extra relief I seek.

Any thoughts? Thanks all.

I skied with a guy who had his poles done with golf club grip which he seemed to like

I use road bike tape below the grips on my BD flicklock poles held on with electrical tape, you wana wrap bottom to top so that when you grip the poles you don't fuck up the tape by pulling downwards against it

if you remove road bike tape from a bike you can reuse it to wrap a ski pole just wrap it the other way on the part so the part of the tape that hasnt been exposed IS now exposed

duno if i would like it on the entire poleand yeah ou do have to make it thicker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pole.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	363511
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pipe foam insulation and zip ties.

Just be careful to not poke your eyes out with 60” long poles.

Could do as hockey players are sometimes known to do- buy a 6.00 white or black roll of tape. Take a section as long as you want to grip and roll it in palms into a sticky cord like shape, wrap that around the pole, then finish with an outer layer of hockey tape in its usual flat configuration

Name:	835E3BF8-F6C0-4B5F-9146-08F0583F6D7F.jpeg 
Views:	217 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	363525
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I've been thinking about this too. There are a ton of foam grip tubes on amazon that could work, check this shrink wrap stuff out: https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Water...3B/ref=sr_1_42

I think you're onto something with wrapping wire or tape hockey/lax style and using handlebar tape though. Pry the cheapest/most sustainable option if thats your thing

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Could do as hockey players are sometimes known to do- buy a 6.00 white or black roll of tape. Take a section as long as you want to grip and roll it in palms into a sticky cord like shape, wrap that around the pole, then finish with an outer layer of hockey tape in its usual flat configuration

That's what I was thinking could work. I wrap my hockey stick like that and it"s durable, lasts dozens of games, longer than the stick anyway.

Skate board grip tape. Nuff said

This is what I was going to suggest as well. If you go this route make sure you wrap like XXXer said from bottom up

I used to do this. gets wet and ices up though.

Use self-amalgamating tape. you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Pipe foam insulation and zip ties.

Just be careful to not poke your eyes out with 60” long poles.
    Every time I see someone skiing with those stupid baston poles I laugh. They’re ridiculously long and completely worthless if you’re skiing inbounds, except to virtue signal. I just wrap 2 ski straps per pole around my touring poles below the grip. Works great and your straps are super accessible.

I was partial to black friction tape on my hockey sticks. Harder to see the blood after you spear someone in the ear.
    Adjustable poles are better than tape. Especially if you use the ski poles for the purpose for which the are intended--to ski.

"College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Athletic tape ftw. This has worked for me for years. Name:  20210218_063148.jpeg
Views: 3285
Size:  26.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

I was thinking of using hockey tape for mine

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I replaced grips with hockey tape once. Ended up having lots of snow sticking to them if it was near freezing.

It depends on the diameter of you pole (that's what she said?) but if they are big enough you could remove the grip and install some silicone foam bike grips then reinstall the grips

These ones are extra long https://esigrips.com/product/xxl-8-25-chunky/.

If your diameter is on the smaller side ESI also makes silicone foam bar wrap, the tape that comes with it to hold it in place sticks to itself and should hold up in colder temps.

https://esigrips.com/product/rct-wrap/
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I use a wrap of duct tape and/or a ski strap halfway between the handle and the flick lock as a middle position grip. Not as good as some other options since it only provides a handle in a set spot and it's not very sticky but it's nice to have easy access to tape if you ever need it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    Athletic tape ftw. This has worked for me for years. Name:  20210218_063148.jpeg
Views: 3285
Size:  26.7 KB

How'd you get the texture underneath the tape? Doing rolling the tape like on the hockey sticks?

I've used bike handlebar tape before and it worked well. Lasted longer than the poles but didn't have as good of texture.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    How'd you get the texture underneath the tape? Doing rolling the tape like on the hockey sticks?

I've used bike handlebar tape before and it worked well. Lasted longer than the poles but didn't have as good of texture.
    Yup, exactly like a hockey stick. Milan Hejduk used to do his this way and I thought it was pretty slick. It can be tricky getting the length of the rolled tape right and make sure you start the tape you are wrapping over from the bottom of the pole. Otherwise it'll peel back as you use it and look shitty/get glue on your gloves. You get plenty of tape for 7 bucks and whatever is left over can go in your repair kit.

Rubber mastic tape works great.

I had a pair of bd poles with a rubber grippy down below the handle for sidehilling. I HATED the way it felt in my hand, so wrapped athletic tape (same as hockey tape or bat tape) around it. It was 100% fine in tahoe temperatures for 2 years

My buddy wrapped a pair of fixed length poles w handlebar tape - looked nicer and was padded. I'm sure you could roll athletic tape beneath it to create ridges but why tf do you need ridges???

I've done the hockey stick style wrap with athletic tape. It's held up fine.

I love silicone self fusing tape https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...silicone-tape/
    it's light and gives good grip and thickness. Wrap bottom to top. Takes a bit of trial and error to get the right length precut

If you ride road bikes when you replace the bar tape you will notice the overlapped/covered half of the tape looks brand new

turn the tape around so the covered part is now the exposed part and you got new tape fo nuthin

that tape in the pic i posted is the original bar tape off my 15 yr old Cannondale

Same as wrapping a bar where you start at the bar end cuz other wise the tape edges get messed up by you gripping the bar ... always wrap a pole bottom to top
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    It depends on the diameter of you pole (that's what she said?) but if they are big enough you could remove the grip and install some silicone foam bike grips then reinstall the grips

These ones are extra long https://esigrips.com/product/xxl-8-25-chunky/.

If your diameter is on the smaller side ESI also makes silicone foam bar wrap, the tape that comes with it to hold it in place sticks to itself and should hold up in colder temps.

https://esigrips.com/product/rct-wrap/
    I did this on a pair of fixed length aluminum BD poles. Works well but I found I needed to glue the grips on otherwise they would slide around in cold/wet conditions.

I tried two layers of bar tape on a pair of adjustable length poles and found it messed up the swing weight too much