Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    What about baseball bat grip tape? Gotta imagine that is designed for gripping

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Ok let's get this settled. Too much guessing, not enough doing.

I have used hockey/baseball tape (which is basically industrial strength athletic tape, which is just cloth tape + adhesive). I have used tennis grip. I have used bike grip tape.

The best I've found is bike grip tape. It was basically made for this scenario - comfortable, weather resistant, designed for many hours of hands on grip without leaving hands tacky. Baseball/hockey/athletic tape is designed to create friction—it's not very comfy for skinning and gets your hands/gloves tacky. Also collects dirt and gets wet (it's cloth, remember).

Optimal Design:

Undergrip Texture
    Take 24" of cloth tape (any will do) and hold in front of you out stretched. Twist in opposite directions until you get a 24" cloth rope. It should be about 1/8" width now. Wrap this around the upper section of your poles leaving 1" between the wraps. Tape the top of the rope to the pole, it will help with wrapping. When wrapped, cut off excess and tape the bottom in place.

1A.
    Optionally, wrap another 24" clothe rope the opposite direction to create "X" pattern.

Overgrip Texture
    Take bike tape and begin wrapping from the bottom of the pole. You want to wrap from the bottom because the wrap will layer on top of itself like shingles on a house. Your hand exerts downward pressure. Imagine raindrops. Exert even pressure, making sure each revolution covers the same amount of wrap. Perhaps 1/3" inch.

3. Wrap top and bottom of bike grip with 1" gorilla or electrical tape. If use gorilla, which is preferable, hit with blow dryer for 30 seconds, then squeeze tightly with fist for 30 seconds. This Gorilla treatment will last 10+ years. I used electrical because I was out of gorilla and it's held through 2 seasons but the tips like to come undone. Too lazy to properly fix now that I have gorilla again.

The trick with the bike grip tape is to use the proper grip. I have found that the cork grips by Sram & Cinelli work best. Avoid leather.

One $15 bike grip set will wrap 2x sets of poles (4 poles). Pick your poison. There are some fun colors. I wish I didn't go christmas.

SRAM: https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Supercor...tesski-20&th=1

CINELLI: https://www.amazon.com/Cinelli-Cork-...sociatesski-20

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.06.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	997.7 KB 
ID:	363712

Is it time to start discussing swing weight?

xxx-er will be proud...

my fave so far has been to wrap lightweight accessory cord in a fairly open helix, then coat with AQUASEAL EH for a durable, grippy surface

i wonder how long that^^ is going to last ?

I know my road bike is 15yrs old so the bar tape lasted that long on the bars and then the poles
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I ran into the same issue and was surprised that there aren't any companies out there making aftermarket grips for ski touring. Frustrated with same spotty solutions you guys are talking about (and maybe a little delusional sense of my own ability) I decided to make my own out of high density foam to see if the idea worked. I started making extended grips for a few friends and the idea kind of caught on. This winter I've started making extended grips separately for people and re-fabricating poles with extended grips.

Most of the poles out there are outrageously expensive (upwards of $200) or ridiculously long for the majority of skiers. The idea is to create after aftermarket grips and affordable fixed length poles with 12"-18" length extended grips for touring.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can mock something up. I'm based out of Vermont for the winter, but happy to ship anywhere if it catches on!

Quote Originally Posted by centralparkskiclub View Post
    I ran into the same issue and was surprised that there aren't any companies out there making aftermarket grips for ski touring. Frustrated with same spotty solutions you guys are talking about (and maybe a little delusional sense of my own ability) I decided to make my own out of high density foam to see if the idea worked. I started making extended grips for a few friends and the idea kind of caught on. This winter I've started making extended grips separately for people and re-fabricating poles with extended grips.

Most of the poles out there are outrageously expensive (upwards of $200) or ridiculously long for the majority of skiers. The idea is to create after aftermarket grips and affordable fixed length poles with 12"-18" length extended grips for touring.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can mock something up. I'm based out of Vermont for the winter, but happy to ship anywhere if it catches on!
    here are a few pictures... still getting used to the forum

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	363811
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	363810  

Well done, I'm very interested
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

I'm interested in the grips alone - I already have fixed length poles. Are you willing to rib top to bottom?

Do you need poles to re-fabricate or got the kit that you can ship?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Fixed aren’t so interesting to me. How to replicate that on existing, adjustable poles I own?

Ski pole wrap for extra grip?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Fixed aren’t so interesting to me. How to replicate that on existing, adjustable poles I own?
    I’m doing road bike tape tonight. Talked to local bike shop tech and I think it will be good. Will post pics when I’m done. And it’s done.

Use alcohol wipe to clean pole surface. Cut top and bottom of road bike tape at 45 so it starts straight. Wrap tight double layer each wrap. Meaning cover half of last wrap. Use electrical tape to secure both ends and it came out good. Will ski tomorrow and provide a review.

Name:	Image1613786194.528349.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	363849

Name:	Image1613786205.130207.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	363850

Name:	Image1613786215.400088.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	363851

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whyturn; 02-19-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Do you need poles to re-fabricate or got the kit that you can ship?

I can ship a kit to you. Grips and glue if you're interested in doing it yourself.

I can ship a kit to you. Grips and glue if you're interested in doing it yourself.
    Interested. PM on the way

Quote Originally Posted by bthomson22 View Post
    I'm interested in the grips alone - I already have fixed length poles. Are you willing to rib top to bottom?
    I got you! Yeah can do that full ripping from the top the bottom. Personally, I like having a smooth top for more of a freeride feel; however, it's personal preference and happy to make it to your specs. PM me and we can chat.

I use Paracord. Super comfy and grippy, and useful in case of emergency I secure the bottom end with Hockey tape and Gorilla Glue

Name:	Pole Wrap.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	363867

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I’m doing road bike tape tonight. Talked to local bike shop tech and I think it will be good. Will post pics when I’m done. And it’s done.

Use alcohol wipe to clean pole surface. Cut top and bottom of road bike tape at 45 so it starts straight. Wrap tight double layer each wrap. Meaning cover half of last wrap. Use electrical tape to secure both ends and it came out good. Will ski tomorrow and provide a review.

Name:	Image1613786205.130207.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	363850

Name:	Image1613786215.400088.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	363851

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    OK so if that is the bottom of the pole at the top of the picture it looks like you wrapped top to bottom

so what happens is when you grip the pole you pull downwards on the edge of the tape which will fuck it up much faster than if you wrapped bottom to top

same goes for wrapping road bars where you start at the end of the handle and go inward with the final taping close to the stem, this is because hands will grip bars/ push outwards so if the edge of the tape is exposed it gets fucked up but if you wrap from the bar end the hands just glide over the edge of the tape

goggle " taping road bars "and they will tell you the same thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    What about baseball bat grip tape? Gotta imagine that is designed for gripping

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Or pine tar.

Thanks to the mags who commented and to those testing out options. I decided to wrap my poles in an x pattern with electrical wire, secure the pattern with silk tape (just what I had), and then wrap all of that with self-fusing tape (great rec). I skied with them today.

Name:  7RXUGCP.png
Views: 1159
Size:  577.3 KB

The grip is very good - better than my actual grips. I measure "grip" by how much I have to clutch the pole when propelling myself upwards on the skintrack. The tape is very tacky, even with snow on it, which is what provides grip. I was a little worried that the texture wasn't pronounced enough, but with the tape, it's excellent. I haven't tried foam grips in the wild, but I suspect this is better. The x pattern is very comfortable.

Durability may be a concern. After just one tour, some of the tape has popped open. The directions for the self-fusing tape say to pull very hard when applying, and it seems like some of the tape burst. I'll have to see if a re-wrap is needed after a few more times out.

Name:  OTd5Urf.png
Views: 1183
Size:  536.3 KB

The aesthetics could be improved. The aftermarket option from centralparkskiclub looks very professional (although personally I'd want some cork). But if the background is good, who cares, right?

Name:  d7QOvBR.png
Views: 984
Size:  532.5 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210220_175546.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	761.9 KB 
ID:	364021  

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post

You wrapped them upside down, the taped in overlapped in the wrong direction. You should go from the bottom up, so your seams won't roll over with your downward hand pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Thanks to the mags who commented and to those testing out options. I decided to wrap my poles in an x pattern with electrical wire, secure the pattern with silk tape (just what I had), and then wrap all of that with self-fusing tape (great rec). I skied with them today.

Name:  7RXUGCP.png
Views: 1159
Size:  577.3 KB

The grip is very good - better than my actual grips. I measure "grip" by how much I have to clutch the pole when propelling myself upwards on the skintrack. The tape is very tacky, even with snow on it, which is what provides grip. I was a little worried that the texture wasn't pronounced enough, but with the tape, it's excellent. I haven't tried foam grips in the wild, but I suspect this is better. The x pattern is very comfortable.

Durability may be a concern. After just one tour, some of the tape has popped open. The directions for the self-fusing tape say to pull very hard when applying, and it seems like some of the tape burst. I'll have to see if a re-wrap is needed after a few more times out.

Name:  OTd5Urf.png
Views: 1183
Size:  536.3 KB

The aesthetics could be improved. The aftermarket option from centralparkskiclub looks very professional (although personally I'd want some cork). But if the background is good, who cares, right?

Name:  d7QOvBR.png
Views: 984
Size:  532.5 KB
    There are different thickness self fusing tape. I am currently using a thicker version and just one layer. With the thinner stuff you may need to go two layers.
    Electrical wire is copper, pretty dense stuff. I imagine you could get the same grip with a lighter cord to make the pattern. Otherwise looks good. I may add a grip pattern next time I do a pair

For 20 yrs I’ve been using the standard, common solution...bike handlebar tape. Wrapped in the correct direction , with electrical tape on the ends. Lightweight, grippy, cheap, doesn’t absorb water....

Btw trail running became huuge in Cham some yrs back, and long batons became de rigeur....started seeing skiers using them. Back when I was a starving college student that couldn’t afford adjustable poles, I thought I would be clever and got a pair of long alpine poles at a thrift store for $5 and made a long grip section.

Eventually realized they sucked. I missed being able to put my palm on top of a hip-height pole for tricky steep skinning sections (relying instead on gripping your pole is less energy efficient). But main downside was it created a long poky thing aimed at your abdomen during descents. All it takes is one weird fall to bruise a rib or puncture your spleen

Why the racing baskets for BC poles?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    But main downside was it created a long poky thing aimed at your abdomen during descents. All it takes is one weird fall to bruise a rib or puncture your spleen
    Having ruptured my spleen with a long skate ski pole, ^^^THIS.