Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Shipping skis pro tips?

I swear I read a thread on this not long ago, my search skills must suck, I can't find it.

Using the home ship options (no fee from a store), I'm seeing the following firm quotes based on actual box dimensions and weight to ship a pair of skis with bindings in a rectangular box, WA to MI:

UPS Ground: $74.14
    USPS 3-day: $72.20

No fancy insurance, no large declared value. The longest box dim is 76" but that's unavoidable, there is zero extra room in the box.

Seems steep? Please drop some knowledge on this apparent shipping jong. thanks.

You'll likely get a cheaper rate if you run it through bikeflights.com or a similar service.

I've shipped two pairs recently.
    One today.
    USPS Priority.
    One was $35, the other $45.
    186 & 189, so not short skis.
    Get a ski box ( ski shop); or make a frankenbox.
    Keep it under 75" long.

No UPS.

Not sure if you are already doing this but shipping USPS through PayPal instead of the USPS click and ship platform is much cheaper. Once you exceed a certain total parcel dimensions it's pricey no matter what. Sent a pair of skis CA to MI over christmas that were initially quoted at 65$ but then hacked the box up a bit to reduce the width and height and I got under whatever threshold there was at it came to $24. Not sure where the actual cut off is but my dimensions were 84 x 6 x 3.

I usually use Fed Ex Ground (aka Fed Ex Home, for home delivery). They've been cheaper than UPS, but I haven't shipped any skis mounted with bindings in several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Shipping skis pro tips?

If you’re shipping flat skis- get that box as flat as possible. You’re paying for air. Act as if you’re flattening the box and slip the skis into that squished space stacked liked spoons. I know the tips will pultrude but you’re selling an illusion of 3-4”.. should save you over $20

eta throw an old T shirt or rag between skis

FWIW, I just shipped a set of unmounted skis from ME to CO and it was $76 via UPS with $500 insurance.

Thin bubblewrap between the spooned skis and then cling wrap them into a tight package.

Shipbikes.com is the best I’ve found for discounted FedEx freight

Pull bindings ship flat rate
    Ship skis flat

bikeflights for ups
    shipbikes for fedex
    paypal or shippo.com for usps (same rates usually)

should never cost more than $50 to ship skis even with bindings in the US

Just shipped a pair flat for $25, bikeflights was $47 for same package.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Just shipped a pair flat for $25, bikeflights was $47 for same package.

I don't see a ski shipping option on bikeflights... do you just list contents as "bicycle gear"?

I have used Lugless successfully in the past. About $50 staying west of the Mississippi and some insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I don't see a ski shipping option on bikeflights... do you just list contents as "bicycle gear"?
    They don’t give a shit what’s in the box

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    They don’t give a shit what’s in the box
    They say that they do. The TOS very clearly states that only bike parts and full bikes can be shipped. IDK if that's ever enforced though.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

A few years ago UPS rates went through the roof when boxes got over a certain length. It’s insane now. They literally triple the rate for something of comparable weight that’s smaller in size.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    I have used Lugless successfully in the past. About $50 staying west of the Mississippi and some insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lugless looks promising... dont have to hide that you are skipping skis, and seem like equivalent or slightly better rates than bikeflight. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I usually use Fed Ex Ground (aka Fed Ex Home, for home delivery). They've been cheaper than UPS, but I haven't shipped any skis mounted with bindings in several years.
    I just did this. On3ps mounted with guardians to Vermont from Utah. Think it was $53. Didn’t seem bad as I shipped skis flat to Oregon for only slightly less the month before.

IME - Occasionally ups will be cheapest if you use code “easy” at checkout.

ShipBikes.com or ShipNex.com for FedEx are usually the cheapest for large parcels.

BikeFlights.com if you have to use UPS, but I've never seen it cheaper than the two above.

If I want to ship a 50 lbs ski bag across the US, what am I roughly looking at? Any tips on which carrier is cheapest?
    (most likely VT->MT or WA->MT)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    ShipBikes.com or ShipNex.com for FedEx are usually the cheapest for large parcels.

BikeFlights.com if you have to use UPS, but I've never seen it cheaper than the two above.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    If I want to ship a 50 lbs ski bag across the US, what am I roughly looking at? Any tips on which carrier is cheapest?
    (most likely VT->MT or WA->MT)
    Hmmmm. If only someone knew.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Hmmmm. If only someone knew.
    Yes smartass, but those sites are bitching about cardboard boxes, so i wanted to know if someone has experience shipping a std ski-rollerbag across states.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Yes smartass, but those sites are bitching about cardboard boxes, so i wanted to know if someone has experience shipping a std ski-rollerbag across states.
    Back in the day, late 80's, shipped a skibag and a footlocker from SLC to Virginia. 35 bucks, a deal at the time. No problems .
    Just looked at the Trailways website and they have partnered with Greyhound to ship stuff. No idea what it costs, but may be worth checking into.

I sent skis in a roller placed in cardboard via bike flights for a fraction of the cost of ups/fed ex

I rip the groomed on tele gear