Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    mammoth
    Posts
    225
    Box it up yourself and ship via USPS. I've shipped from California to Wisconsin and it was $23 - that was 2 weeks ago. If it's above 76" (193s) then they'll tack on a little extra for it being oversize.

    UPS and Fedex are regularly $50ish, avoid that.

    If you do the priority calculator thing on their website it's gonna give you inaccurate results. Just go to the post office itself with it boxed up, you can walk away if they give you an egregious number, but for me it's never been above $30 and I've probably shipped 6 pairs of skis in the past 3 years (all unmounted).
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig


  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    281
    Did you check greyhound? Not sure if they'll do skis but sent a bunch of luggage and boxes West-->East coast recently and it wasn't too bad. Cardboard not required. I think busfreighter had cheaper prices than going through greyhound directly. Have to pick up at the bus terminal if that's a big deal but pretty fast.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    12,781
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Yes smartass, but those sites are bitching about cardboard boxes, so i wanted to know if someone has experience shipping a std ski-rollerbag across states.
    Is it that hard to wrap you’re roller bag in cardboard?

    Don’t need a real box. Just wrap it and tape it into a cardboard burrito.

    Ironically I had started to mention we used to use greyhound many years ago to ship surfboards. But I deleted it since I would never send my bag of ski gear through the cesspools of bus terminal hell.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

    ďI got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order UniversityĒ
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    For a package that is ski-sized, the weight does not matter. The smaller you can make the package, the cheaper it will be. You can make the package smaller by putting the bindings facing each other and staggering the skis (face the bases away from each other and towards the outside of the package). Or remove the bindings and ship them in a Regional A Flat rate box and ship the skis in a different package.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Box it up yourself and ship via USPS. I've shipped from California to Wisconsin and it was $23 - that was 2 weeks ago. If it's above 76" (193s) then they'll tack on a little extra for it being oversize.

    UPS and Fedex are regularly $50ish, avoid that.

    If you do the priority calculator thing on their website it's gonna give you inaccurate results. Just go to the post office itself with it boxed up, you can walk away if they give you an egregious number, but for me it's never been above $30 and I've probably shipped 6 pairs of skis in the past 3 years (all unmounted).
    20 bucks to ship skis?

    What the hell am I doing wrong.....Iím shipping a friggin pair of ski pants, and itís 20 bucks all in to ship USPS.... Iíd love to sell more stuff ...but I get absolutely killed on shipping from my local.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    8,689
    Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post

    If you do the priority calculator thing on their website it's gonna give you inaccurate results. Just go to the post office itself with it boxed up, you can walk away if they give you an egregious number, but for me it's never been above $30 and I've probably shipped 6 pairs of skis in the past 3 years (all unmounted).
    Hmmm this December I shipped unmounted skis from CA to CO via USPS in person, was over $40. Do you give your postal worker a six pack or something?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    mammoth
    Posts
    225
    Idk what you're doing or what to tell you, I've never paid that much for shipping skis via USPS. It was far and away the cheapest.


    Decided to check my numbers, CA to CO, 72x4x4", 10lbs, and shipping 4/12:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.45.39 PM.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	371142


    I usually ship via retail ground - which is what they do if you just show up and say "idk whatever is cheapest" instead of "priority." It only takes 1-2 extra days and is by far the cheapest of any parcel service.


    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    20 bucks to ship skis?

    What the hell am I doing wrong.....I’m shipping a friggin pair of ski pants, and it’s 20 bucks all in to ship USPS.... I’d love to sell more stuff ...but I get absolutely killed on shipping from my local.
    Dude throw it in the smallest possible box or a padded envelope. The cost to ship ski pants should be like $9.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    84
    Pad those tips.
    Last edited by AEV; Yesterday at 09:25 PM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,494

    Shipping skis pro tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Idk what you're doing or what to tell you, I've never paid that much for shipping skis via USPS. It was far and away the cheapest.


    Decided to check my numbers, CA to CO, 72x4x4", 10lbs, and shipping 4/12:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.45.39 PM.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	371142


    I usually ship via retail ground - which is what they do if you just show up and say "idk whatever is cheapest" instead of "priority." It only takes 1-2 extra days and is by far the cheapest of any parcel service.




    Dude throw it in the smallest possible box or a padded envelope. The cost to ship ski pants should be like $9.
    I know right?.....it should be that way. When I walk in with my own boxes/envelopes...and they start bringing out their tape measures, I know Iím screwed...lol

    My price here in PA always seems really high compared to what people say online.....especially when Iím usually shipping across the country.

    Iíve got a bunch of stuff Iím ready to list this spring.....maybe Iíll try again and report back.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,986
    IME shipping with USPS is awesome...unless it gets caught up in the system or it gets lost. We had things from Christmas that took over a month. If you lose something via USPS youíre fucted.

    UPS and FedEx are overly expensive especially now that everything is getting shipped somewhere. But they do deliver on time for the most part and if something goes wrong they do cover your stuff up to the limits they have or whatever the insurance amount you spent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I know right?.....it should be that way. When I walk in with my own boxes/envelopes...and they start bringing out their tape measures, I know Iím screwed...lol

    My price here in PA always seems really high compared to what people say online.....especially when Iím usually shipping across the country.

    Iíve got a bunch of stuff Iím ready to list this spring.....maybe Iíll try again and report back.
    Never take it to the PO. Always print yourself. Pirate ship or PayPal can save you some coin.
    Always round down on dimensions.
    Always use a flat rate envelope ($8) for anything soft/clothing like thatís more than 16oz. Under 16oz should be First Class in a reused Amazon envelope and cost $3-7.

    As said above, shipping skis is all about the total girth measurement. For most 180+cm skis , shipped flat, you need to fit them in a less than 6x6Ē, but ideally 4x4Ē box and cut down the length as much as possible.

    With bindings, you can usually get them into 6x6Ē with brakes banded flat and skis inverted with bindings facing each other.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,494

    Shipping skis pro tips?

    Thanks for tips....I definitely need them. My past/ current methods suck.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    224
    I just shipped some 209 SG without bindings from WA to Wyoming. for $33. I used Ebay's discounted USPS shipping rate. Instead of a ski box I used 2 4"X 4" X 40' boxes and just telescoped the boxes and taped them together. I think the boxes were Poster or Map boxes. That size box will work for long race skis. For other style skis I have used 4 X 6 boxes. I have also built 4 X6 boxes out of old bicycle boxes. It's not really work your time to build a box. Just wrap the skis with cardboard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •