Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Honestly, I probably would have said no too. I mean if I knew it was ISBD I'd join up, but just some random dude? I #curate my touring partners and base my plans for the day around the group and the personalities and experience levels in it. As such, I generally try to avoid introducing random human factors into the decision making process while in the field. Sure, dude might know better snow. Does he know what the fuck he's doing? I dunno.

That said, the "I've skied here before" line I also don't get.
    It means they were familiar and comfortable with the plan they made.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    There's a link to somebody's instagram video someone posted in the Tahoe thread. Guy sets off an avalanche snowboarding off a small cliff, "considerable" avy danger immediately following a moderate storm. Think he may have been buried too? Anyways pretty sure that incident is only on the 'gram, it was not reported to the avalanche center. Saw some other incidents that weekend that ended up on the SAC website at least, but it's like everyone in CA has a camera on them when they get caught...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLUMLRiM...d=bb3d69mbyr4m

a major impact in my back yard has been avy classes. every weekend groups of 10-12 digging pits getting acquainted. used to be 1-4 cars parked now 10-20. thank god for weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    San Francisco Backcountry Skiers is another FB page you should join and observe.
    Fuck, now I gotta plan for dirty needles and human feces? Fuck that terrain trap.
    . . .

good peeps in that group
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    a major impact in my back yard has been avy classes. every weekend groups of 10-12 digging pits getting acquainted. used to be 1-4 cars parked now 10-20. thank god for weekdays.
    Such a double edged sword. If you take an avy 1 class and don't post to the gram did you really even take it?

The easy to access, low angle zones, with lots of space to find fresh turns don't really provide that anymore. Now there are roaming groups of 10-20 people digging pits and farming low angle terrain. It's great to see people getting educated and friends who work for/own guide services are having the best season ever, but running into five groups of 10+ on a two hour tour is a bit of a buzzkill. I know those areas have always been popular, but at least the smaller groups could keep to themselves easily.

I appreciate how social media has made getting educated a priority for many people who are new to the backcountry. It might be for selfish reasons (at least if you screwed up before social media the whole world didn't get to see), but more avalanche education is a good thing.

Where the avy classes go:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210214_180850403.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	363878

One drainage over:

Name:	PXL_20210214_185234994.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	363879

Crowds are definitely worse in the easiest to access safe places. But those places have been too busy for a while, unless you wake up real early. If I lived near some some low hanging fruit that was now overrun by avy 1 classes I'd be annoyed for sure. I might even ask the providers if they could diversify where they do field study. I wouldn't expect them to change anything but it wouldn't hurt to let them know people are feeling squeezed. On the other hand, I appreciate that around me it's pretty easy to predict where the masses will be skiing and go somewhere else.

I was just having this discussion with the lead ranger at Vail Pass. She said they are working on scheduling with course providers to avoid crowding. It’s an issue in a lot of places.

I was just having this discussion with the lead ranger at Vail Pass. She said they are working on scheduling with course providers to avoid crowding. It’s an issue in a lot of places.
    I know some people hate on Bluebird for some reason, but that's another thing that their model can do very well- avy courses on private land.

yep I agree

I’ll be doing a story for SnowBrains on a rad chick Bluebird guide soon who used to be on here a lot.

and one featuring the rad chick lead ranger at VP

I’m sorta new to doing that end of the social media thing.

Somewhat tangential, but here's an NPR interview with my local avy center (which kicks ass by the way), talking about outreach, and other things... https://www.npr.org/2021/02/20/96970...-skiers-lives?

that’s great - I missed that one

this SnowBrains thing is new for me

I appreciate feedback

and if you have a story to tell hit me up

I’ll be doing a story for SnowBrains on a rad chick Bluebird guide soon who used to be on here a lot.

My wife? Cause she checks all those boxes

that’s the one

In Europe the increased traffic puts people in spotswhere they shouldn't be. Usually more experienced people push the limits. I don't think it's social media though.
    This year we had some truly horrible accidents on low angle bad luck terrain, but the increased traffic also has been leading to absurd accidents when it's considerable that leave people shaking their heads in the last few years.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    My wife? Cause she checks all those boxes
    can we start a gofundme to bring back mtnbikerskierchick? or just promise to be better people.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

and this year with everyone driving solo they fill up a parking lot quick. Not sure what the reasoning is but the LTCC classes aren't allowed to be held within the basin is my understanding. Makes sense, since most of our parking problems are the zones within the basin.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I know some people hate on Bluebird for some reason, but that's another thing that their model can do very well- avy courses on private land.
    I think they forgot what it is like to be new to backcountry skiing. I'll admit I laughed when I first heard about Bluebird, even though I've always thought similar concepts e.g. White Grass were cool. If new bc skiers can pick up some skills from visiting Bluebird than we all benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Where the avy classes go:

Name:	PXL_20210214_180850403.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	363878

One drainage over:

Name:	PXL_20210214_185234994.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	363879

Crowds are definitely worse in the easiest to access safe places. But those places have been too busy for a while, unless you wake up real early. If I lived near some some low hanging fruit that was now overrun by avy 1 classes I'd be annoyed for sure. I might even ask the providers if they could diversify where they do field study. I wouldn't expect them to change anything but it wouldn't hurt to let them know people are feeling squeezed. On the other hand, I appreciate that around me it's pretty easy to predict where the masses will be skiing and go somewhere else.
    Yep 2 classes going Saturday. Thought it was going to be a shit show. Nearly 20 cars.
    Name:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  115.1 KB
    Skied untracked all day.