Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bump.

I'm looking for a sidecountry vest.

Anyone know if Dakine is still making the Poacher Vest? Perhaps this year's inventory is lost in the global supply chain SNAFU?

Whatvests seem cool too. I may end up going that direction.

flylow now has an option too made by whatvests https://flylowgear.com/products/scotty-comp-vest

I have a north face one that has worked well, but it looks like those aren’t available either.
    I’ve been seeing more of those whatvests around and they look cool. I’d like to check one out in person.
    I like the color options on the whatvests too. People frequently think you are a mountain ops person when donning a black utility vest lol
    skid luxury

Quick google gave me a vest from Volcom as well. The "Iguchi." Sounds fancy

If you're wanting an airbag as well, I just picked up the Arva reactor vest. I dig it so far and look forward to no more "packs in laps!" bullshit at Alpental.

That Flylow colab is pretty cool.

Finally got to try my what vest out for the first time this week. Pretty stoked overall - Stored everything I wanted well, temp regulation was easy, and stashing my very large nylon skins for my 185cm JJs worked great.

However - Folks that are doing some quick skinning laps: What are yall doing to carry your helmet, or are you just foregoing not to use one?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I like the color options on the whatvests too. People frequently think you are a mountain ops person when donning a black utility vest lol
    Also good to avoid patrol colors or any color your local mountain uses. That might just leave camo.

I don't have a cross on my vest. Therefore, I am not patrol. Not my problem if someone is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

Finally got to try my what vest out for the first time this week. Pretty stoked overall - Stored everything I wanted well, temp regulation was easy, and stashing my very large nylon skins for my 185cm JJs worked great.

However - Folks that are doing some quick skinning laps: What are yall doing to carry your helmet, or are you just foregoing not to use one?
    Which whatvest did you get- The side hustle or the full send? I'm wondering if it is worth it to have the extra goggle pocket and the webbing straps on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    flylow now has an option too made by whatvests https://flylowgear.com/products/scotty-comp-vest
    Is there a way to carry skis on your back with that vest?
    I have a North face Powder Guide vest that is nice on occasion.
    Definitely have to change your layering system though.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Is there a way to carry skis on your back with that vest?
    I have a North face Powder Guide vest that is nice on occasion.
    Definitely have to change your layering system though.
    From the link:

Exterior diagonal ski carrying and vertical snowboard carrying device
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Which whatvest did you get- The side hustle or the full send? I'm wondering if it is worth it to have the extra goggle pocket and the webbing straps on the outside.

Side Hustle I believe.

I threw my goggles into the internal skin pockets, seemed fine.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

You might think about doing the brightest color at Targhee for the fogginess 🤣
    skid luxury

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    People frequently think you are a mountain ops person when donning a black utility vest lol
    I've been stopped at least 20 times on the Headwaters hike about where to go and I always inform them......then like 30 seconds into the convo, "Oh wait, you don't work here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I've been stopped at least 20 times on the Headwaters hike about where to go and I always inform them......then like 30 seconds into the convo, "Oh wait, you don't work here?"
    I noticed that it happens less now that I have pink ski pants though
    skid luxury

You might think about doing the brightest color at Targhee for the fogginess ��
    Maybe neon green mixed with neon yellow and some neon pink accent piping? Perhaps a couple blinking bike lights attached to the exterior webbing too

Side Hustle I believe.

I threw my goggles into the internal skin pockets, seemed fine.
    Thanks!

techtalkjong and all that, but since where going with it here - those who have/have fondled whatvest: how small does the S/M size get? I'm a scrawny mofo who wears S in most shirts/jackets (non-steeze category) and the NF Guide vest S/M was on the edge of usable due to being big.

I should look into this just to carry my kids skis…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

hopefully they added a better zipper than the original WhatVest (by Big Hollow)
    I dont use it for skinning, vest are too hot for that

Received the WARY vest in the mail yesterday. Fits well, kinda manages to hold my 320cm probe (probe handle sticks out), and is short enough I actually have full use of my lower jacket hand pockets.

Materials and construction seem pretty tough.

I ended up ordering a WhatVest.

I'm 5'11 and 200 lbs. I've got a 42.5 inch chest and a 34 inch waist.

As you can see from the size chart, that puts me squarely in the L/XL size-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211208-195730.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	487.6 KB 
ID:	395915

I'm absolutely swimming in this thing. It is huge! With gear in the vest and ski clothing on, I have to tighten every strap to the max and it is still too big in my (rather large) chest area. I have more than 8 inches of webbing flopping around on every strap (3 on each side of the vest), meaning that one could conceivably have a 56 inch chest and a 50 inch waist and fit in this size.

For reference, I wear a large in Norrona ski shells and medium in arcteryx ski shells.

Fit/finish/features/construction seems nice. Perhaps consider sizing down if you're ordering a WhatVest. I just ordered a S/M.

My MIL got me a whatvest for xmas that showed up today. I think being made in Laramie played a big part as they live in Cheyenne and appreciated local made. I'm 6'3 190 and got a L/XL. Just did a quick fit but seems perfect for me. Fit/finish seem great. Cant wait to try it out and hopefully not have the lift nazis yell at me to take my backpack off...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    and it might get you laid
    I got a sewing machine to make/change some gear. Youtube has lots of sewing tutorial videos and the chicks in them are pretty hot. I might take some classes...