Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ISO: lightweight spring/volcano/couloir setup for full-sized skier

ISO: lightweight spring setup for full-sized skier
    I'm 6'2" and 200#
    Need something that can handle my beef, especially when I let 'em run in open corn fields yet also not weigh me down on the way up Shasta. I had VTA88 lites that I could overpower with a PdG boot so I'm assuming will have to lug around ~1400g skis. Already have Backland 100s for the long-approach powder days. Sick of my skied-out ZG95s that are soft in the tips and have almost no camber. Also use Vulcans @307 BSL if the ski wants some power.
    Looking for something 85-95 ish underfoot, 180-185. With or without bindings. Low fat but definitely not superlight. If bindings included, something appropriately light (~300g class) to match low fat but not race light skis. Brakes are nice. Compatible with Dynafit/G3 crampons a plus. Mohair skins preferred. Is that too much to ask?

Tracer 88?
    Wayback 88?
    Ibex 94 XLT?
    Backland 95?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I’ve got an MTN 95 w Zeds that should work w that bsl I am getting ready to part ways with.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I fondled the Tracer 88s and its probably not what you want. The waist looks a lot narrower than 88, and it is real soft

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I fondled the Tracer 88s and its probably not what you want. The waist looks a lot narrower than 88, and it is real soft
    Thanks for this. It's hard to find reviews online. Skinnier would be fine but soft is definitely not what I want. Don't want twitchy, race-stiff skimo planks either. (and I know that is tough for a sub-1500g ski)
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Thanks for this. It's hard to find reviews online. Skinnier would be fine but soft is definitely not what I want. Don't want twitchy, race-stiff skimo planks either. (and I know that is tough for a sub-1500g ski)

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    I’ve got an MTN 95 w Zeds that should work w that bsl I am getting ready to part ways with.

the 184s? Those are 1600g and a little heavier than I was thinking. That's why I suggested backland 95s (1455g) and not MTNs.

ISO: lightweight spring/volcano/couloir setup for full-sized skier

Buy praxis yeti. Might be heavier but it skis great. I’ve been down this road and that’s where I ended up and couldn’t be happier. Super light skis suck. Who cares how light they are on your feet when you’re going up if they suck skiing down

There is a guy selling flat Zero G 85s 178 length for $250 on the skimo swap facebook group

There is a guy selling flat Zero G 85s 178 length for $250 on the skimo swap facebook group
    Thanks. I could easily ski 178s but I think they just aren't designed for somebuddy my weight who likes to ski aggressively. Their recommended rider weight range probably tops out around 160#.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Buy praxis yeti. Might be heavier but it skis great. I’ve been down this road and that’s where I ended up and couldn’t be happier. Super light skis suck. Who cares how light they are on your feet when you’re going up if they suck skiing down
    Yetis are 1600g just like the MTNs. They're both solid performers and I would consider them although they're at the top of my acceptable weight range. I've definitely gone too light like with the VTAs (1100g) and maybe even the old ZG95s (1250g), but that's why I suggested a few things I'm interested in. It's a tight sweet spot and I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Thanks. I could easily ski 178s but I think they just aren't designed for somebuddy my weight who likes to ski aggressively. Their recommended rider weight range probably tops out around 160#.
    Wasatchback said he weighs 220 and he doesn’t (maybe can’t) over ski 178 ZG85s. I believe he knows how to ski
    U.P.: up

backland 95 are underrated, versatile skis. Ski pretty damp for the weight.

Have tentatively located a setup with Faction Prime 1.0 184 at 1550g. Looks like a strong ski at the right weight and 90 underfoot. Still interested in other options if anybuddy is holding.

I’m 6’1 185 and will second the zg85. It’s a solid blizzard ski. Holds up well to hard skiing. It’s my spring-summer steeps ski, and light enough to lug around on your back for miles

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    I’m 6’1 185 and will second the zg85. It’s a solid blizzard ski. Holds up well to hard skiing. It’s my spring-summer steeps ski, and light enough to lug around on your back for miles
    I loved my zg 85 in just about everything. Kicking myself for selling those skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Here's a question about the ZG85s: how many seasons/days have you gotten out of them. Especially interested if heavier skiers found they softened up at some point. One shop employee told me the whole ZG lineup only have about 2-3 seasons in them.

BMT 90 in a 184. Spendy, but it’s their last season and sure you could find some on sale. *Very* damp; my 177s are 1400g, the 184s probably come in under 1500. Crazy good in bad conditions for their weight. That or find some BMT 94s in a 186

I’m not heavy (155lbs) but am on really little ZG85s for my size—171s. Have maybe 15-20 days on them over 2 seasons. I wouldn’t say they’ve softened up, but they have lost their camber. On the plus side, they now perform surprisingly well in hot pow or spring slush that you’re going to get on a Shasta trip, and I’ve never had any issue with edge hold.

Mine are mounted with Zeds and I’d say I feel comfortable on them up to 25-30mph. Amazing volcano ski.

I'm confused to what exactly you're looking for. The Atomic Backland 100 weighs 1430g in the 188 per skimo.co. Are you trying to go lighter than that or just get something stiffer than that? What about the Wayback 96. It's stiff. It's got beef.

I'm looking for something with camber, <1600g, around 90 underfoot, for all conditions with less than 6" of powder. Plenty of other skis for hot pow, deep pow, dense pow, variable pow etc. on both long and short tours. I gave an example list at the top that included Wayback 88s. I find K2 medium flex and medium sidecut to be kinda boring. Shasta and Lassen were what made me wary of super lightweight skis although I am moved by the testimonials for the ZG85. Volkl makes great skis too and even though I bowed the VTAs when carving, it was obvious they were outside their comfort zone. Could have been skied out too, just like Skeeze's ZG85s and my own ZG95s. That durability factor makes me hesitate about going sub-1200g again cuz I want a ski that attacks steeps and ripe corn. The Faction Prime 1.0s are actually this guys': https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ime-1-0-Review
    I'll comment on his review once I get some time on them because I think there is a role for a touring ski that is skinny but stout and not super-light.

I’m only one year in on my zg85’s, so durability still an open question for me. That said, in CO it’s much more time with skis on pack vs skinning/skiing since a lot of times trails melt out and we’re hiking in to then crampon up... so low “ski mileage” vs in volcano-land (presumably you folk able to skin into the summer)

I'm looking for something with camber, <1600g, around 90 underfoot, for all conditions with less than 6" of powder. Plenty of other skis for hot pow, deep pow, dense pow, variable pow etc. on both long and short tours. I gave an example list at the top that included Wayback 88s. I find K2 medium flex and medium sidecut to be kinda boring. Shasta and Lassen were what made me wary of super lightweight skis although I am moved by the testimonials for the ZG85. Volkl makes great skis too and even though I bowed the VTAs when carving, it was obvious they were outside their comfort zone. Could have been skied out too, just like Skeeze's ZG85s and my own ZG95s. That durability factor makes me hesitate about going sub-1200g again cuz I want a ski that attacks steeps and ripe corn. The Faction Prime 1.0s are actually this guys': https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ime-1-0-Review
    I'll comment on his review once I get some time on them because I think there is a role for a touring ski that is skinny but stout and not super-light.
    What about the new Dynafit Beast 98? A little wider than you were specifying, but will come in just under 1600g in a 184 and have full sidewall construction.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What about the new Dynafit Beast 98? A little wider than you were specifying, but will come in just under 1600g in a 184 and have full sidewall construction.
    No need for a 98-waist, low-camber, super damp, soft-snow-bias ski. Have my bases covered. Looking for light and powerful.

No need for a 98-waist, low-camber, super damp, soft-snow-bias ski. Have my bases covered. Looking for light and powerful.
    Wait didn't you want damp?

My praxis yeti 192s are def not 1600g. But regardless I will recommend the Praxis Yeti.