WTB: Entry Level 56-ish Gravel Bike

Seems like there's a few FS and WTB threads here so I thought I would put this here rather than over in Gear Swap which is almost exclusively ski gear right now.

Used to road bike when I lived in Germany because people there respect cyclists. Haven't ridden in 3 decades because people here are complete idiots when they get behind the wheel. My joints are getting creaky and I just can't run to stay in shape any more. Peruvian and Goniff have convinced me that gravel biking is the way to go...

Hoping somebody on here has upgraded and is looking to move their large/56-ish cm gravel bike. Intended use is on dirt roads in VT and NH that are fairly well maintained (not looking for a drop bar mountain bike...). Looking for a bike that can accommodate up to 45mm tires and can be configured for light bikepacking.

Have a work bonus inbound from planning my own furlough last summer so I'm going to spend it on me. Budget is $2,500 but obviously would like cheaper. I figure at that price point for used, the components should be above entry level. If they components are more entry-level, I would expect a lower price point unless the frame is made of unobtanium.

There's a shop that is semi-local that has a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 for $2,100 so that's my fallback.

I'm a hair under 6'0" with a 32" inseam and 34" sleeve length in dress shirts so fairly long arms and torso. Peruvian and I are similar size and he is on a 56cm bike so that seems about right for me also.

Anybody holding?

Ive been on the hunt too, but for something a little different. Not much to be had out there...
    Some good ones in your size on PB
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...56&category=77

Ha! Instead doing work for work today, I spent most of the day on pinkbike. Found 4 good candidates but nothing perfect. Actually found a Trek Checkpoint ALR5 at a local shop in Manchester, NH. Would be good to support a local.

The ALR5 is a solid build at that price, and if it's in stock locally, that's worth a lot right now. Just keep in mind the wheelset it comes with is 17mm wide, which is pretty narrow for a modern gravel wheelset. If that bothers you, the upgrade cost might have afforded you a nicer bike from the beginning.

Or an upgraded gravel wheelset + the stock wheelset nets you gravel and road wheelsets...which is how I looked at it when I upgraded the wheels on my SL5.

FYI: I posted this a bit ago for mnt bikes. even more true for gravel

A few points to remember to everyone thinking about buying a bike this summer
    1) new bike sales are thru the roof right now (very limited inventory)
    2) used bike sales are fetching high prices
    3) So if a bike sold for $4000, 2 years ago, it would normally sell for $2500ish. now getting $3000+
    4) bike parts get better and the technoligy trickles down (ya!) . So that same bike 2 years ago, at $4000 is now similar to the current bike at $3000 (and new) IE: 12 speed is released to a deore level soon at $1000 CND
    5) So: if the budget is $3000, why buy bike with 2 years of use/wear and tear etc? when for the same price you can buy new and get "branded" lower parts, that work just as well?
    6) So what to do? easy: no hunting for "used deals" just go to a store and buy the new pretty one on the floor. Get ahold of your local bike shop, and see what stock they have avail, or what they can order in for you.

Great advice...thnx. Heading to the local shop tomorrow (I did confirm today that they haven't sold it already).

Trek Checkpoint ALR5 comes with 40mm tires.... Will give er a go on the stock rubber and then decide where to go next.

True story on the prices. FB marketplace (a true shitshow) has all kinds of used bikes for sale at prices above MSRP. Fleabay not much better.

Oh yeah, you could totally fit a bigger tire on there. It's more that most people prefer the ride feel of a wider tire on a wide rim. So most gravel bikes come with wider rims now. But shit, it's probably all subjective. You'll be stoked on the bike.

Picked up the Checkpoint ALR5 today. Guy had it on order and then found one in stock so bought the in-stock bike. Only reason the shop had it on the floor. Going to be a fun summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Picked up the Checkpoint ALR5 today. Guy had it on order and then found one in stock so bought the in-stock bike. Only reason the shop had it on the floor. Going to be a fun summer.
    Congratulations! We’ve been waiting for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1613770122.622830.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	363787

So I don't have to buy a fancy biking jersey to ride in this group of hooligans?

No, but it does make you 3 1/2% faster if you do.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

That ain't going to be enough to make a difference...call me anchor-boy