Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    My bad.
    Actually, I read Under the Banner of Heaven. It covers the story of the FLDS sect, but it also tells the origin story of the LDS and I decided to really tone down the momo hate after reading about the persecution the original people suffered. Like all religions, it's weird nonsense with a big helping of abuse, but the reason they wound up in Utah is basically because that's where they finally stopped getting shot at.
    Sure, and proceeded to shoot at everyone else... tough go in Missouri doesn't excuse subsequent bullshit.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moun...adows_Massacre

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Sure, and proceeded to shoot at everyone else... tough go in Missouri doesn't excuse subsequent bullshit.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moun...adows_Massacre

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    The Missouri (and Illinois and Ohio) persecution makes their reaction a little more understandable, though in no way excuses it. Mountain Meadows was horrible and a stain on humanity. I'm glad the terrible actions of a few rogue members from over 150 years ago do not define me or my church.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    The Missouri (and Illinois and Ohio) persecution makes their reaction a little more understandable, though in no way excuses it. Mountain Meadows was horrible and a stain on humanity. I'm glad the terrible actions of a few rogue members from over 150 years ago do not define me or my church.
    My individual experience with members of the church is that they are among the kindest, best people I've ever had the privilege of interacting with. I count many faithful members as some of the strongest role models of compassion, empathy, and service. I think there is something deeply inspirational in the Mormon teachings of the Atonement, in King Benjamin's teachings of our obligations to the poor, and in the transformative power of God's love, and I still find comfort when I hear the Mormon hymns of my childhood.

My experience with the corporate LDS church entity, however, could not be further from that. I find them divisive, preaching a gospel of anti-LGBT hate, fear mongering, and family division.

In the same way the Mormon church preaches to "love the sinner and hate the sin", I love the members and hate the organization to which they belong.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    no your church is defined by the almighty dolla dolla bill
    and you tithe to fund and support its needs for it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    no your church is defined by the almighty dolla dolla bill
    and you tithe to fund and support its needs for it
    $100 billion in the bank doesn't lie

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    the Shepherd's Prayer (Alan Shepherd)

Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up.

If you’re looking for a true story about a Mormon, don’t go looking at LDS inc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man_Knows_My_History

agree with tgap on a personal level. I have no relationship with lds inc. on the corporate level.

I'm very thankful we have the faithful here. It's nice that they choose to spend their sundays not skiing. We don't need second saturdays up at the resorts.

Also, I think it's nice that they kept a fair amount of people out of Utah. I think the stigma of 'utah is mormon, utah is scary' is wearing away and people are moving here in droves. We would have denver population density in SLC if it wasn't for the church.

tl;dr - mormons are scary, opressive and dictate the state legislature, it's not worth it to move to utah.

How do so many of the LDS dudes pay for 6 kids and outfit the wife with a brand new Infinity QX80, pay a 10% tithe and have a 7 bedroom house.
    Is the MLM biz that good or are there that many LDS hedge fund managers???

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic_damage View Post
    How do so many of the LDS dudes pay for 6 kids and outfit the wife with a brand new Infinity QX80, pay a 10% tithe and have a 7 bedroom house.
    Is the MLM biz that good or are there that many LDS hedge fund managers???
    I’ve wondered this as well. There are some absolutely enormous houses, err, compounds... in eastern Idaho.

Like any group of people there are tons of completely normal individuals among the mormons up here, the Chad Daybell types stick out like a sore thumb though.

Don't confuse religious people being polite with "nice" or "kind". It's actually repression, oppression, and passive aggression. Same with any midwestern or southern "charm". All that shit is an ice cold veneer when it really counts.
    I'm not excusing Mormonism or their weird cultlike behavior. It's just that it's not exclusive to Mormonism by any stretch.
    I had some 7th Day Adventist roommates in Bozeman. It was great. They were always clean and quiet and so were all their friends......who were all in the same church. They had basically 0 warmth for anyone outside their bubble. Polite? Friendly? Well meaning? Youbetchya. Anything I would describe as warmth for anyone they didn't see on Saturday morning? Ha! Not even sure why they couldn't find a roommate through the church, but whatever.
    A lot of the LDS schtick is the same thing.
    Oh, and the only difference between a cult and a religion is a matter of money.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.