Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 262
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Right, that’s more or less what I don’t think
    Care to explain?

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Care to explain?
    places that manage bathroom breaks aren’t doing that because the workers aren’t capable of managing their schedules.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 06-16-2021 at 06:18 PM.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Right, that’s more or less what I don’t think
    Agreed. But different jobs are different. “Warm body” jobs require more tightly coordinated scheduling.

    Outside of that, such distinctions are more reflective of poor/lazy management than anything else.
    focus.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,845

    Remote workers....what do you actually do?

    Meh, not sure I want to get into this with yeti. He’s a good dude but his narrative is predictable.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I wasn’t taking his bathroom break comment literally. I get the impression that he doesn’t believe in the meritocracy of the work place.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The “meritocracy” in our system is 78% bullshit.
    focus.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,079
    “I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.” Stephen Jay Gould

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,425
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Meh, not sure I want to get into this with yeti. He’s a good dude but his narrative is predictable.
    Super-condensed: I read about wfh scams (in this thread) and a nyt article about poor treatment of Amazon workers (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-workers.html) and it pisses me off that those two things exist simultaneously.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    “I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.” Stephen Jay Gould
    Highly unlikely because the hundreds of Millions of Whites and bilions of current and ancient chinese brains have not yielded anyone of similar capacity. So it's not very likely to find that someone in the slave workforce.

    Not making them slaves increases the chances though.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Highly unlikely because the hundreds of Millions of Whites and bilions of current and ancient chinese brains have not yielded anyone of similar capacity. So it's not very likely to find that someone in the slave workforce.

    Not making them slaves increases the chances though.
    Eh, the point is that we likely have produced people with that level of intellect, they've just been wasted as they've either been unrecognized or shut out of opportunity. The "well, if they're that good, it would be apparent" argument is fairly bullshit when you look at the history of scientific advancement and a lot of the resources needed to make things happen. IE, the paraphrased Planck's principle: "Science progresses one funeral at a time"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_principle

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,703
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Highly unlikely because the hundreds of Millions of Whites and bilions of current and ancient chinese brains have not yielded anyone of similar capacity. So it's not very likely to find that someone in the slave workforce.

    Not making them slaves increases the chances though.
    Whoosh, over your head and splat on the wall.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,793
    Idiocracy progresses zero births at a time.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Super-condensed: I read about wfh scams (in this thread) and a nyt article about poor treatment of Amazon workers (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-workers.html) and it pisses me off that those two things exist simultaneously.
    Yeah again, I wasn't taking your bathroom break statement literally. I was thinking more along the lines that you thought it was fucked that the chief doesn't have to show up at any particular time while the rookie tailboarder is told when to go to PT. Pretty well known that the Amazon warehouse work culture is fucked, there was a Radiolab about it recently that was pretty good.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    3,130
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Super-condensed: I read about wfh scams (in this thread) and a nyt article about poor treatment of Amazon workers (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-workers.html) and it pisses me off that those two things exist simultaneously.
    The Amazon workers are getting fucked by the man. The WFH scammers are fucking the man. You should only be pissed at the man.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    CNN really fucked up by not firing this guy. Can you imagine any other job in the world (except porn & TGR admin) where you get caught jerking off and keep your job?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Didn't this guy also have a secret affair with his co-workers daughter, knocked her up, then threatened her to have an abortion only to end up guilty by DNA test and only paid up after her lawyers said they'd tell CNN to garnish his wages many years back?

    Jeez....I've seen people walked out for telling a dirty joke within earshot of an offended woman.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,425
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    The Amazon workers are getting fucked by the man. The WFH scammers are fucking the man. You should only be pissed at the man.
    Yes. Well-said. 100%

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Eh, the point is that we likely have produced people with that level of intellect, they've just been wasted as they've either been unrecognized or shut out of opportunity. The "well, if they're that good, it would be apparent" argument is fairly bullshit when you look at the history of scientific advancement and a lot of the resources needed to make things happen. IE, the paraphrased Planck's principle: "Science progresses one funeral at a time"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_principle
    Well at least you tried to understand what I said.
    Benny not so much.

    I just said that if we need a few Billion people to get one true Genius, we increase our chances by 10 20 or 30 % (whatever numbers you are playing with) by adding a few hundred Million more to the education cycle. I was not addressing the fact that some freaks stare at Einsteins brain in a jar.( im not even debating how much of he a Genius he was.. I just take him as an example of a person that comes along every few Generations)

    It really sounds nice to think of the wasted potential, but you just need numbers. Unless anyone assumes slaves and sweat Shop workers are not affected by the Bell curve and yield more geniuses than the average human Population.

    The Whites and chinese people quote just Served as an example of people who may have had access to education for a century or two, but of course it may trigger some people.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,703
    Really hungry people under the lash don't have the leisure time to think.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  18. #243
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Really hungry people under the lash don't have the leisure time to think.
    Are you being purposefully obtuse? That's kind of the whole point.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,703
    I read someone talking about Chinese this and Whites that, as though it's a racial thing or something. It's not.

    The Chinese are plenty comfortable these days, relatively speaking, and they don't invent or innovate shit, because, well, the lash.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Well at least you tried to understand what I said.
    Benny not so much.

    I just said that if we need a few Billion people to get one true Genius, we increase our chances by 10 20 or 30 % (whatever numbers you are playing with) by adding a few hundred Million more to the education cycle. I was not addressing the fact that some freaks stare at Einsteins brain in a jar.( im not even debating how much of he a Genius he was.. I just take him as an example of a person that comes along every few Generations)

    It really sounds nice to think of the wasted potential, but you just need numbers. Unless anyone assumes slaves and sweat Shop workers are not affected by the Bell curve and yield more geniuses than the average human Population.

    The Whites and chinese people quote just Served as an example of people who may have had access to education for a century or two, but of course it may trigger some people.
    It's also not necessarily race-based, but also class-based. People X Opportunity.
    This is why racism, sexism, classism etc. are massive inefficiencies that prevent things from moving forward. Any barrier you put in front of a group will result in lost opportunity, and most barriers don't have meaningful reasoning behind them other than "rich people want less competition for their kids/want to retain the position of their family". It's wasteful and stupid to push people out of things like the startup pool because they don't want to starve. How many George Washington Carvers? How many Armstrongs hamstrung by greedy companies and their litigation? So much waste.

  21. #246
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,912
    There are also just pure geniuses who can overcome access barriers because of their minds. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    13,714
    Useless

    Eaters

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    It's also not necessarily race-based, but also class-based. People X Opportunity.
    This is why racism, sexism, classism etc. are massive inefficiencies that prevent things from moving forward. Any barrier you put in front of a group will result in lost opportunity, and most barriers don't have meaningful reasoning behind them other than "rich people want less competition for their kids/want to retain the position of their family". It's wasteful and stupid to push people out of things like the startup pool because they don't want to starve. How many George Washington Carvers? How many Armstrongs hamstrung by greedy companies and their litigation? So much waste.
    I wholeheartly agree. But most people would know that if they followed my tgr posts from my little Socialist utopia.

    If we enable everyone to live out their potential, we might enjoy a few more Mozarts. ( well unless the negative flynn effect since the 80s makes it a lot harder again...) But where I live all kinds of education are free which is a start I guess.

    Benny just thinks I actually enjoy slavery and racism because the math was neglected by the quote .....


    Edit: While, quite ironically, he thinks that "the chinese aren't able to invent things".
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There are also just pure geniuses who can overcome access barriers because of their minds. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
    Oh the poor oppressed Brahmin! Lol. Maybe find a lower caste next time? Or a history book and realize it was Indians doing the business of running the Raj?

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The Chinese are plenty comfortable these days, relatively speaking, and they don't invent or innovate shit, because, well, the lash.
    Between your dumbfuckery on one side and the remote workers sucking their own dick for riding a rocket ship on the other I can only root for injuries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •