Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I am working tier 2 end user support. Mostly chat and email routing issues. I spend most of my day looking at log files. I cover 5 till 9 pm est alone. It’s a nice change from what I have typically done in the past
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Remote workers....what do you actually do?

I know a transplant gal currently living in Wydaho who works as a freelance coder. From what I can tell she works in the middle of the night when there are no distractions and plays according to the season during the day. She makes bank..

Home since March 2020....going back August 2nd. 5 days in 5 days home in a pay period. 50% not bad but I'm spoiled now....was like pre-retirement. Actual retirement Aug 2022, ....this 50% in the office deal lasting through the year hopefully

The fun part. I’m off work but have the computer open while watching tv
    It’s almost entertaining
    Trying to track something down that I don’t understand
    I’m not billing for it. It’s just for me
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/morgan...n-nyc-offices/

“If you want to get paid New York rates, you work in New York. None of this, ‘I’m in Colorado and work in New York and am getting paid like I’m sitting in New York City,’” Gorman barked.
    “Sorry, that doesn’t work.”
    A similar move has been adopted by Facebook, which told employees if they want to keep working outside of San Francisco or New York, they’ll have to take a paycut.

Retired in January. Before that, worked in computer chip design for a large tech company. Even before the pandemic, we had several team members that worked from home full time from remote locations, and most of us were expected to log in at night to check up on running jobs to make sure they hadn’t crashed, etc.

A lot of our people would work several days a week from home just to avoid the commute, (and also avoid people just walking into their office all the time). As for myself, the distractions at home were far worse than at work, so working full time from home was a pain. I’d rather be in the office, personally.

Now working from home to me involves mowing the yard and taking the trash out.

i think you still need a real office to go to in your house where people know you are working so they leave you alone to work

I know a scientific type who hung a sign around his neck when he was thinking/ writing books that said " cone of silence "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Retired in January. Before that, worked in computer chip design for a large tech company. Even before the pandemic, we had several team members that worked from home full time from remote locations, and most of us were expected to log in at night to check up on running jobs to make sure they hadn’t crashed, etc.

A lot of our people would work several days a week from home just to avoid the commute, (and also avoid people just walking into their office all the time). As for myself, the distractions at home were far worse than at work, so working full time from home was a pain. I’d rather be in the office, personally.

Now working from home to me involves mowing the yard and taking the trash out.
    second, that's why i came in even though i did not have to. i knew i would be less productive from home with distractions. looks like i will have to improve upon that as remote working is my future as i'm about to do the live in second home thing majority of the time so many have done.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Name:  remote.png
Views: 620
Size:  5.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    I know a guy who did this back the 90's but non-remote for a good 6 months on 2 jobs. We all pled with him to be honest but he wouldn't. One of the jobs was with a university lab who kept 0 tabs on him and thus he showed up rarely. Eventually he went to leave the university job and keep the other...the university actually begged him to stay.

I've mentioned this in the RE Crash thread, but my GF's job tried to force her and her coworkers back to the office and she and more than half her department bailed before the "get back to the office" date.

She got a 50% pay increase to be perma remote for a well known management consulting firm. She'll potentially have to travel a bit post pandemic (not more than a few days a month), with a requirement that she can get to either coast from her local airport. KJAC met her firm's requirements. She's way happier at her new job.

Sell diesel engines for ships. Real engines, real ships. Not some kind of Caterpillar shit.

Headquarters is in Yurp, and primary yards / contacts are in Asia, so local contact with colleagues is minimal, and time zones are off by a minimum of 6 - 12 hours, so I can do what I want, when I want.

Been at home since March '20, and don't expect to ever go in again apart from the occasional free lunch opportunity. Latest boss is in Van and I'm about as far away as you can get in North America, and he has no clue what I do, apart than that Headquarters is very pleased, so he doesn't bother me.

Retirement COULD be anytime, and they'll probably encourage me to leave by end of '23, but they send very nice checks every two weeks, and it's an interesting and fun job so they'll have to give me an incentive. I'm thinking 18 months worth of incentive.

WFH is a bit too all encompassing of a term... The Sales rep who calls on customers across their territory, goes to trade shows, meets with vendors/suppliers, with home office in between, is far different than the worker bee just on permanent Email/Zoom rotation.

The "Great Resignation" is the latest buzz...time to see if the rubber meets the road.

All this WFH has my harassment technique slipping.

https://youtu.be/3eAU0EadxEc

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It makes me seriously despondent to hear these stories of how you can just do whatever you want if you’re beyond some imaginary career/education waterline. Other people can’t go to the bathroom without permission.

This world is fucked. It’s getting worse every day

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yup

Soul sucking nothingness existence

I love the ending of Office Space where he’s out doing real work. And happy.
    He’s happy until the discs in his back start pushing on his spinal cord.

Well. Yes.

Manual labor is brutal.

But if I ever had to dwell in a cubicle again I might just off myself.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    It makes me seriously despondent to hear these stories of how you can just do whatever you want if you’re beyond some imaginary career/education waterline. Other people can’t go to the bathroom without permission.

This world is fucked. It’s getting worse every day
    You don't think some people have earned the ability to manage their own schedule while others have not?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    I know a guy who did this back the 90's but non-remote for a good 6 months on 2 jobs. We all pled with him to be honest but he wouldn't. One of the jobs was with a university lab who kept 0 tabs on him and thus he showed up rarely. Eventually he went to leave the university job and keep the other...the university actually begged him to stay.
    I had a remote employee working two jobs. One for my employer and turned out he was working for UPS. Finally caught him when he bagged out on a meeting with the Port of Portland. Said his grandparents had been killed in a car crash. Only thing was, his older sister was a contract employee. She was shocked, shocked I tell you when we offered her our condolences on the deaths of her grandparents.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    WFH is a bit too all encompassing of a term... The Sales rep who calls on customers across their territory, goes to trade shows, meets with vendors/suppliers, with home office in between, is far different than the worker bee just on permanent Email/Zoom rotation.

The "Great Resignation" is the latest buzz...time to see if the rubber meets the road.
    I only got 3 months of WFH before they called us back in. It was heaven. Just me at home, so the distractions were minimal. I'm retiring from here July 7th. Starting a sales job similar to the above in Sept. Can't wait. Fuck the office.

I knew a guy working 3-4 software engineering jobs and he would outsource the work to India... so he was actually highly productive at all of them. lol... no idea how long it lasted, but he'd had the scam going for 3 years strong at that point. Basically all he had to do was review their work and then pass it along, maybe make a fix here or there.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You don't think some people have earned the ability to manage their own schedule while others have not?
    Right, that’s more or less what I don’t think

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    this is the Kentucky fried rat of tech.

it’s not unplausible - directly knew someone who forged resume credentials then hopped job to job, but still

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Right, that’s more or less what I don’t think
    Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Care to explain?
    places that manage bathroom breaks aren’t doing that because the workers aren’t capable of managing their schedules.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 06-16-2021 at 06:18 PM.