Agent 3.0 v 4.0?

So, deciding on my CO/Rockies winter touring ski (well occasional lift-served) for next year. Have it narrowed down to the Agent 3.0 or 4.0. Anyone been on either/both of these? If there was a 110-112mm underfoot option, I’d go with that. They’re both actually within 100g or so of each other. For days with boot-deep and less I’ll probably be on my 90mm skis that do just fine. Should I just go fat? I’ll be mostly on TLT6s touring and probably Vulcans for more aggressive days and lift-served. No drops or super-charging, but can get down everything just fine. I’ll be going with 179/180cm. How’s the 3.0 in deeper stuff?

Previously on Nunataqs they were just great except for the deepest days, and VW Katanas seemed to do everything great except for keeping up with fit friends on the up on hot-lap days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think the 3.0 is perfect for that intended use. I'm pretty sure the 180/188 sold really well this year which should be a good indication.

IMO it skis bigger than the size and better than a normal "touring" ski.

Agent 3.0 v 4.0?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    I think the 3.0 is perfect for that intended use...IMO it skis bigger than the size and better than a normal "touring" ski.
    Thanks! Yeah, it’d be a preorder for next season. From what I’ve read, mounting at the “progressive” MP of +3.0 is recommended. Your thoughts?

Last edited by dub_xion; 02-25-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Anyone been on the 4.0s?

Surprisingly little info to be found on these skis. I just got a pair of 191s and think I'm gonna mount them between +1.5 and +3. Very excited to get them on the snow.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by we-ski View Post
    Surprisingly little info to be found on these skis. I just got a pair of 191s and think I'm gonna mount them between +1.5 and +3. Very excited to get them on the snow.
    Awesome, keep us posted with field testing.

yeah i've heard from friends at the brand that +1.5 is $$. I went on recommended on my 2.0s but they are my 100% touring setup.

I went +2.25, and wouldn't go further forward. Maybe would like +1.5 better, as I have a more traditional stance. Love the ski though, like a damper, fatter version of a Zero G 108, and maybe a touch softer. In steep technical terrain the swing weight on my 191s was minimal, but opening it up on a deep powder run I could see liking +1.5 or even factory better.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    So, deciding on my CO/Rockies winter touring ski (well occasional lift-served) for next year. Have it narrowed down to the Agent 3.0 or 4.0. Anyone been on either/both of these? If there was a 110-112mm underfoot option, I’d go with that. They’re both actually within 100g or so of each other. For days with boot-deep and less I’ll probably be on my 90mm skis that do just fine. Should I just go fat? I’ll be mostly on TLT6s touring and probably Vulcans for more aggressive days and lift-served. No drops or super-charging, but can get down everything just fine. I’ll be going with 179/180cm. How’s the 3.0 in deeper stuff?

Previously on Nunataqs they were just great except for the deepest days, and VW Katanas seemed to do everything great except for keeping up with fit friends on the up on hot-lap days.

You can compare our measurements in the online Sooth comparator:
    https://compareskis.shinyapps.io/com...=%22Compare%22

The Agent 4.0 179 that we measured was 1717g instead of the quoted 1880g from Faction. That makes it slightly lighter than the Agent 3.0 in 180 cm (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/22...CH_PAGE_EN.pdf)! I thought it was worth mentioning. The Agent 4.0 is also less stiff overall, but that is mostly in torsion (20%). As much torsional stiffness as the Agent 3.0 might not be needed in softer snow.

Obviously, you also have more tip/tail rocker (height and starting point) with the larger Agent 4.0.