Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    this may be the only hope i have re:global warming/climate change
    Well, ironically with maritime snowpacks we are starting to see less reliability / stability than before. The Tahoe 24/48 (which was always stupid but kind of true) is a thing of the past. Buried hoar layers and PWL’s are way more frequent nowadays.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Well, ironically with maritime snowpacks we are starting to see less reliability / stability than before. The Tahoe 24/48 (which was always stupid but kind of true) is a thing of the past. Buried hoar layers and PWL’s are way more frequent nowadays.
    Wow interesting. That sucks.

Here in CO, I feel like cold blower powder days are happening less and less each year. It seems like we have more storms each year with heavier, thicker snow.

Maybe I’m off on that observation??

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Wow interesting. That sucks.

Here in CO, I feel like cold blower powder days are happening less and less each year. It seems like we have more storms each year with heavier, thicker snow.

Maybe I’m off on that observation??
    I don't think you are off but our data set ain't really shit in the big picture spectrum. I think it seems likely to be a trend with global weirding but again, I'm no scientist. The winter of 18/19 was a heavy warm one from here and north to at least JXN. If you look at late season pics from that season of the lines in Jackson they are filled in like a more maritime pack than they are normally. I know Telluride was skiing super fat and stable that year and it sure was rad down here. I think those years may become a thing and I really liked that year but it's not going to be good if they are punctuated with extreme variability or that's my take on things at least.

It's definitely interesting to see these changes in real time for sure. The idea of a stable, midwinter snow pack in the San Juans sure does sound fun in the meantime before everything goes to complete shit IM(selfish)HO. For those that know the San Juans you know what I'm talking about, those imaginary dream lines that you always thought couldn't happen because of the instabilities are all of a sudden in play with mid winter powder snow? Well...........oh my. It may be going to shit but I'm going to try and see that clouds silver lining while I'm still breathing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

^^ it’s a good way to look at it and I definitely don’t mind the warmer storms plastering the Rockies early season. But I fear that consistent super dry blower pow is getting rarer here. At least everywhere but the highest of north facing alpine slopes.

So we're getting dumped on here in Arizona. We may be one of if not the biggest winners in the intermountain west from this cycle. I just wanted to point this out and that snowfall patterns related to climate shift are a lot trickier than simply location.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    So we're getting dumped on here in Arizona. We may be one of if not the biggest winners in the intermountain west from this cycle. I just wanted to point this out and that snowfall patterns related to climate shift are a lot trickier than simply location.
    One big storm does not equal long term trajectory.

That being said, most likely scenario is more variability, extremes, in weather.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Things will get serious when vail resorts has to abandon skiing at Bachelor Gulch and Arrowhead because their base elevation is 6000 ft. Real estate would crash at those two areas.

Nah. They'll put in year-round mtb trails on that side as well as outdoor jungle gyms and coasters and alpine slides and sell the shit out of it.

Steamboat doubling down by building the new gondy that will take you straight to wallyworld, and improving snow making on Sunshine peak and building another restaurant there. And the new pony lift will keep skiers up high also. They know the base is screwed long-term and are prepping for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Nah. They'll put in year-round mtb trails on that side as well as outdoor jungle gyms and coasters and alpine slides and sell the shit out of it.

Steamboat doubling down by building the new gondy that will take you straight to wallyworld, and improving snow making on Sunshine peak and building another restaurant there. And the new pony lift will keep skiers up high also. They know the base is screwed long-term and are prepping for it.
    Warmer weather, more sunshine and more off slope activity options in the middle of winter? Yup, they will market and sell the shit out of that.

And besides all of that shoveling snow in and around your base village is a huge PIA!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Things will get serious when vail resorts has to abandon skiing at Bachelor Gulch and Arrowhead because their base elevation is 6000 ft. Real estate would crash at those two areas.
    8100' and 7400' respectively. You're not even close.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    8100' and 7400' respectively. You're not even close.
    and more than less north facing. They do fine with mid winter low sun angle and the richy snow guns they have.