Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 196
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    164
    ^
    Got to give props for his can do, I put myself in the eye of the shit storm, let me double down, sticktoitiveness!

    The threads kinda deliver....and given the somber mood the Rockies continue to deliver a little distraction aint a bad thing?
    Last edited by JTG4; 02-16-2021 at 09:43 AM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    12,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    One of the best
    He ain't heavy
    He's my brother
    If you come
    Stay safe
    haz fun post stoke
    Cause 3/4 here now
    Ain't got none
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    8,645
    Did the OP get the beta he was looking for?
    Seems he earned it.

    And doubled his post count.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Ire away
    So far Colin and I drive to Mohawk Mtn, dbl mask ( mask and face tube, baclaava for him), and ride the lift together. We dont go in the Lodge for any reason. Eat in car. 2 night ski trips & 1 day. Get there early as possible and leave if it gets really crowded. Social distancing is easy in line with skis. Adding the wife to the mix tomorrow may be a problem as even as bad ass of a NH chick as she is, not sure how she is peeing outside.
    Safe as I can see it, likely safer if we stayed home, true.

    had plan to ski in VT & NH this winter to, drive to destinations, but haven been able to wrap my head around place to stay.
    Wait, you dont know if your wife can pee outside?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,110
    What if:
    -Flew in solo
    -Rents van
    -stopped at Alby's for bread, pbj, water, and gatorade
    -parked in lot
    -slept in van
    -returns to airport
    -flies away

    We cool?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    What if:
    -Flew in solo
    -Rents van
    -stopped at Alby's for bread, pbj, water, and gatorade
    -parked in lot
    -slept in van
    -returns to airport
    -flies away

    We cool?
    - as long as the van has awd
    - and for the love of god you can do better than arby's.

    alberto's, please, we're not dicks around here. we'll give you all of our favorite cheap fast food reccs.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,635
    It is more of less one giant grey area. Most people aren't in isolation. Most people ain't swapping spit at the apres disco. Here is why recreational travel via airplane with multiple families makes you a selfish asshole.

    airtravel - what do you think people do when they get up on the morning of a flight with a fever or a scratchy throat or no smell? You are voluntarily getting into a metal tube with +/-300 people who, by human nature, are more likely to be positive and symptomatic than the average guy. And these passengers are from all over the world. I don't give a fuck that the government allows it. Logic says it is a high risk activity. Rich, smart people love to ignore this.

    Multi-household gathering - I live is a ski town. This has been shown to be a significant mode of transmission. Put three of four families is an STR with no masking, no distancing, throw some booze in the mix and all of a sudden it starts to look like a dorm or employee housing. Again, smart rich people as awesome at ignoring this because they can't get it from there friends and well....privilege and ski vacation.

    Bars & restaurants - make sure you wear your mask for the 50' from the door to the table. Remember that the rules and regulations are set within the realm of social acceptance. Use because the government lets you do something doesn't mean it is a good idea. Again, in this here ski town, in person dining and bars have proven to be a significant source of transmission.

    So...if you can avoid those three mechanisms of transmission, go ahead and stick your dick in the mashers. If not, please stay home. Think about your kids school mates, your coworkers (although you are probably WFT), non-vaccinated high risk individuals, and those without health insurance.

    I know this is a big change in behavior for many people. Your upper middle class and above existence is predicated on a level of self confidence and personal feeling that your are a "good person". Hell, you probably throw a couple bucks in the Salvation Army bucket and coach your boy's soccer team. But beneath that veneer of awesome it's full speed ahead with the agenda...we ski vacation because we can ski vacation.

    If you don't think this is a public health crisis, let me know. If you "feel safe", let me know. If you are going to avoid all three of these high risk activities, let me know. If you think it's a hoax, let me know.

    If you think any of what I said is bullshit and you think it is socially responsible to go on vacation right now, please let me know...with an explanation.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The bottom of LCC
    Posts
    5,578
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    - as long as the van has awd
    - and for the love of god you can do better than arby's.

    alberto's, please, we're not dicks around here. we'll give you all of our favorite cheap fast food reccs.
    I think he probably meant Albertsons which is no longer around here so this plan would result in starvation. Better stay in Delaware.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,635
    Have we talked about Harmon's yet! I love that place. It is one the highlights of vacation.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Have we talked about Harmon's yet! I love that place. It is one the highlights of vacation.
    no dude apparently we were trying to be nice but now we're being dicks again, get with the times

    in all sincerity harmons is excellent, but awful for your budget. their bread is truly exceptional (as good as any local bakery), and their meat dept is phenomenal (if albeit spendy)

    also harmons has dope beer. so stoked to get samuel smith at the grocery store in Utah.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    335
    Thank you Foggy for articulating the frustrations with tourists that many of us share right now

    Also there are no places where you can legally sleep in your van anywhere near the cottonwoods. UPD patrols all the trailhead lots and park and rides for campers every night. The closest place you can camp I think is the KOA downtown, or you could drive a bit further and camp on BLM land in the west desert. Camping is a bit easier on the PC side but its no picnic in winter. Sleeping in a van to ski SLC is not a viable suggestion.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,458
    pack your shit up and go on vacation or else you turn into an angry internet posting demonizing other
    and fuck my vrbo multi household drunken christmas week was a blast

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,635
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    pack your shit up and go on vacation or else you turn into an angry internet posting demonizing other
    and fuck my vrbo multi household drunken christmas week was a blast
    It's cool buddy! I do my part so you can do yours. We don't all have to agree but we do all have to get along. I mean, it is no secret that rules aren't for you...you have a van now! Do you have some spots in the desert to go blow up on Instagram while the rest of us fight for ours?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    890
    Gross. What a wild thread.

    Im in the stay the fuck away camp. Place is a zoo and the lack of respect shown by these tourists during a pandemic is palpable and repulsive. Its a display of brazen audacity and lack of self awareness, not that this is anything new for people. Thanks for coming tho- I feel like a prisoner in my own cabin.

    Tourism is not welcome here during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC! Do your part and stay home!

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    2,458
    come to breck it's normal here junk show in full defect! ski area is wall to wall people! the back country is an even bigger mess thought this shit would be over if we all just stayed home for a couple weeks a year ago guess that didn't work

    come on vacation come to summit vails is paying the county off to fudge the numbers and lie about the flue reaking havoic at employee housing if you fall off the lift don't let the liftie pick you back up

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    At this point it seems clear to me that pandemic or not, after a year of playing the game pretty much 95%+ of people are fucking over it and are going to do what they want, regardless of the 10-20 people (whether that be here on TGR or in your own little community) that will preach from their high horse about keeping restaurants closed, or something. I've seen pretty much every one of those preachers then go and have beers with friends, or take a trip to Moab, or any other of a myriad of hypocritical activities.

    Don't take that as a "go take your vacation", just a comment on the reality that is the world right now.
    Live Free or Die

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I think he probably meant Albertsons which is no longer around here so this plan would result in starvation. Better stay in Delaware.
    I don't think I'd starve in a week...pretty damn hungry though. Or find another grocery...I do own a mask...three even.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    12,968
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    no dude apparently we were trying to be nice but now we're being dicks again, get with the times

    in all sincerity harmons is excellent, but awful for your budget. their bread is truly exceptional (as good as any local bakery), and their meat dept is phenomenal (if albeit spendy)

    also harmons has dope beer. so stoked to get samuel smith at the grocery store in Utah.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    there are grocery "rules" in Utah. You buy meat and veggies/bread at Harmons, and do your regular shopping at Winco. Smiths is a good second to winco for pre packages goods. Harmons will fuck you on a box of cereal, but damned if they aint got the best meat, and veg in the valley.
    Though, when open, that Kuwahara place gets some great produce too.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    6,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    there are grocery "rules" in Utah. You buy meat and veggies/bread at Harmons, and do your regular shopping at Winco. Smiths is a good second to winco for pre packages goods. Harmons will fuck you on a box of cereal, but damned if they aint got the best meat, and veg in the valley.
    Though, when open, that Kuwahara place gets some great produce too.
    But it all pales in comparison to the shit you can get in Jersey...


  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Have we talked about Harmon's yet! I love that place. It is one the highlights of vacation.
    wait until we tell you about caputos

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,384
    the produce you can get on the east coast during the winter is WORLD CLASS, let me tell you

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,635
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    At this point it seems clear to me that pandemic or not, after a year of playing the game pretty much 95%+ of people are fucking over it and are going to do what they want, regardless of the 10-20 people (whether that be here on TGR or in your own little community) that will preach from their high horse about keeping restaurants closed, or something. I've seen pretty much every one of those preachers then go and have beers with friends, or take a trip to Moab, or any other of a myriad of hypocritical activities.

    Don't take that as a "go take your vacation", just a comment on the reality that is the world right now.
    Your bubble is not my bubble. Think 95% might be a bit high? Think "over it" may be a non-rational selfish excuse? Yes, there is a stupid amount of hypocrisy but please don't use that as justification. It just exacerbates the race to the bottom where Chet and Buffy con't think they are assholes because they can point the finger at the bigger asshole.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,635
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    wait until we tell you about caputos
    You are making me hungry! This has been discussed elsewhere but I live in such a consumer waste land that I can go to Draper on vacation just to eat and shop.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    Like I said man, don't take it as a "go take your vacation" support.

    Its just the reality. Everyone, including you, is bending the supposed rules one way or another, often for even justifiable reasons. Working in close quarters, for example.

    You and me both live in a ski town. Your job would have disappeared 10 months ago if everyone followed the rules to a T. Don't act like it wouldn't have. Mine would have also. It is what it is. I just don't see a huge difference between maintaining one's disposable income and taking a vacation. They are both me first endeavors.
    Live Free or Die

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Call-A-Rad-Bro
    Posts
    171
    Is someone seriously posting these kind of questions here and not totally expecting this kind of flaming blowback. Are we being trolled? Or are people this clueless? .... Oh wait....nevermind, they are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •