Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

That slide is massive

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

RIP for sure. Fuck.

Front Range mags all accounted for?
    What a shitty year. Sorry to anyone who lost someone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ugh. Scary spot that sees a lot of traffic

scary, all the way to ground, couple sheer layers, wow. rip

Attachment 362936

Attachment 362937

Edit. Not sure why those didn't embed. Trying to show a rough estimate of how far that face might run.

Those look like huge crowns.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Ugh. Scary spot that sees a lot of traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Those look like huge crowns.
    Holy fucking crown indeed. RIP and vibes

https://www.avalanche.state.co.us/ca...=780&accfm=rep

Solo.

East facing which was exactly what the rose indicated

During a statewide avalanche advisory.

What the fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Front Range mags all accounted for?
    What a shitty year. Sorry to anyone who lost someone.
    I sincerely hope no one here would do this.

And yes, condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

For anyone unfamiliar with this zone -
    this area is very easy access and commonly considered to be a good safe option. Essentially all of the slopes below treeline are less than 30* and are good, mellow, SE facing glade skiing.
    However, as the photos show, there is a steep bowl above the area with a flat bench underneath. This bowl receives a massive amount of windloading and avalanches naturally most seasons. I think it has run a couple times this year already.
    Most people skin to the start of the flats and then transition. Some may go a little higher. Historic avalanches have overrun the entire flat area, but typically don't.

I think it's extremely unlikely that this rider was directly riding the bowl. He was most likely planning to travel on the lower angle slopes below, but unfortunately skinned a bit too high in the runout and either remotely triggered the bowl above or was caught by a natural. To be clear - CAIC has been warning of this exact scenario (remote triggering, avalanches running further than they typically do) but it's unlikely that the rider was centerpunching the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    this area is very easy access and commonly considered to be a good safe option. Essentially all of the slopes below treeline are less than 30* and are good, mellow, SE facing glade skiing.
    However, as the photos show, there is a steep bowl above the area with a flat bench underneath. This bowl receives a massive amount of windloading and avalanches naturally most seasons. I think it has run a couple times this year already.
    Most people skin to the start of the flats and then transition. Some may go a little higher. Historic avalanches have overrun the entire flat area, but typically don't.

I think it's extremely unlikely that this rider was directly riding the bowl. He was most likely planning to travel on the lower angle slopes below, but unfortunately skinned a bit too high in the runout and either remotely triggered the bowl above or was caught by a natural. To be clear - CAIC has been warning of this exact scenario (remote triggering, avalanches running further than they typically do) but it's unlikely that the rider was centerpunching the thing.
    Doesn't look like that from the map in my link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sincere condolences to the fallen's friends & family. This was a terrible place to be. Generally a no-go zone through the winter. That bowl gets heavily windloaded. I've seen some up-tracks this year pushing the high point above The Boulevard and it has worried me each time. Since I don't see tracks above the crown I'm guessing this snowboarder fell into that same trap.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Doesn't look like that from the map in my link.
    The preliminary report says 11800. That's on the bench. See the topo above.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

vibes to all affected
    swing your fucking sword.

OK, in the sake of accuracy, I'll revise what I said a little-
    -the bench isn't "flat," it's a bench that's lower angle than the surrounding terrain. It's pretty flat relative to a skier.
    -below treeline there are several small features that push slightly over 30*. These are generally small in both width and vertical, not connected/continuous, generally don't exceed 35*, and are easy to avoid/manage. Hence why this area is generally considered relatively safe and sees a lot of traffic.

Looks like another example of someone 'playing it safe' just not safe enough

Sadly, there was a second fatality today as well
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=781&accfm=rep
    This season fucking sucks

Sadly, there was a second fatality today as well
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=781&accfm=rep
    This season fucking sucks
    FFS.

This is one of the very few routes in our book where we specifically pointed out potential avalanche danger for the reasons you describe.

Reposting the images I tried to post above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 3.25.39 PM.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	997.1 KB 
ID:	362974

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 3.23.55 PM.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	362975

We pass skinners every time we get off 70 on 6 headed to LL. Parking so close and easy access right there off the ramp.

coming back two weeks ago it looked like two fresh descents were taken.

sorry to all

really sad.

Damn

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.