Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Trelease fatality 2.14.21

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one. Shit year and getting shittier by the minute. Condolences to all. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I’ve skinned too high in this zone. Three weeks back I realized I was no longer going to ski with someone (who teaches classes locally) because where they chose to transition despite my objections in this area.. Right in the debris now.

This hits close. Patrolling yesterday I spent a lot of time looking at Pats Knob, watching it load with wind and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one. Shit year and getting shittier by the minute. Condolences to all. Be safe.

Reached out to a buddy of mine that frequents the area, he was first on scene. py deal all around.

Tragic. That zone needs a wide berth. People frequently pass through the runout when moving over to the other side. I can't imagine anyone actually skied the line yesterday.

Do we know any details? Sounds like he blew up his balloon. Solo?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If people are going to go full on “my risk tolerance is high” avalanche terrain solo during an avalanche warning, at least make it a big line.

Trelease for God’s sake. North face of Grizzly or Torrey’s or go big in the Gore if you’re throwing caution to the wind.

And those fucking airbags are just making you think that you have life saving insurance that you do not.

I dont even see tracks on the top. Hiking underneath?

Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 02-15-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Saw this on the drive home from the Basin and remarked, hope no one got buried in that thing...

this one really makes me reflect on the spots I choose to ski on considerable days.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Tragic. That zone needs a wide berth. People frequently pass through the runout when moving over to the other side. I can't imagine anyone actually skied the line yesterday.

Do we know any details? Sounds like he blew up his balloon. Solo?
    Yes solo. Yes airbag. Airbag was partially visible, head was buried.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

this one really makes me reflect on the spots I choose to ski on considerable days
    Agreed, just remember that our current avalanche problem is not well described by the danger rating. If you don't make sure you read the discussion and as the CAIC special advisory says
    Avalanche conditions are unusual. Backcountry travelers can trigger avalanches that may break very wide and run the full length of the avalanche path. Your normal routes and safety habits may not keep you out of a dangerous avalanche.
    ...and that's coming from someone that has and will travel in the backcountry during elevated hazard.

I know nothing about split bindings; do they release? Obviously this was a huge slide, but I’m wondering if the board attached counteracted the airbag’s assistance in the fight to stay on top.

Sympathies to all those affected.

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    I know nothing about split bindings; do they release? Obviously this was a huge slide, but I’m wondering if the board attached counteracted the airbag’s assistance in the fight to stay on top.

I use some older Karakoram Split 30s, and no, they do not release......Vibes to everyone involved.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I'm not a splitboarder, but my wife is and I tour with a lot of them.
    I'm not aware of any softboot splitboard bindings that release, uphill or downhill. I'm not familiar with every option on the market though.
    Hardboot setups usually use a tech toe for the up, so usually are locked out, but could be set to an unlocked position.

Was on the lift at LL the day after talking to a patroller who said they helped in the body recovery. I thought he may have had the story wrong...solo in the backcountry after what seems like constant strong winds for the past couple of weeks on top of a shitty snow pack.

I know nothing about split bindings; do they release?
    voile has a binding release that i think's essential. works quickly and effectively in both downhill and uphill mode. must have imo, otherwise, that splitboard is going to act like just like an anchor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding-release.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	363266

^^ vibes to the family and friends of the splitboarder

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    voile has a binding release that i think's essential. works quickly and effectively in both downhill and uphill mode. must have imo, otherwise, that splitboard is going to act like just like an anchor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding-release.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	363266

^^ vibes to the family and friends of the splitboarder
    Thats cool, am buying....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    Might be better for a new thread, but curious, do you have a link for the official part? I believe most of these quick releases are jerryrigged.

I'd be genuinely interested if there are any accidents where a boarder used one of these. After trying to get off the slab, my gut feeling is that you would not have enough time to ditch your board before getting rolled.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 02-16-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Those were the first things I cut off my Voiles back in 2010. New models do not offer this "feature".

20' on that big chunk of crown

Fuck, I’ve transitioned right in that area but still in the trees and on low danger days. Had the though that it would be a deposition zone if the bowl slid. Noticed trees w/ scars just above me, and rethought my strategy for future tours.

I’ve also seen people skinning all over that face many times and just shook my head. Saw a group of five ascending nuts-to-butts straight along that fracture line on the east side of the slide in the pic.

RIP to the victim. So much tragic loss in the BC this season.

I hope this and other accidents will get people to chill the fuck out in the backcountry this season but I doubt it will.

Curious was the split board on his feet the likely reason the airbag didn't keep him ontop of the snow? I didn't see that he died from trama
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

An airbag isn't a "get out of jail free" card. He could have ended up in the position he was in regardless of the board being on his feet. Or he could have ended up on top, or he could have been buried 10 feet deep with his airbag inflated. Those of us who tour alone regularly (should) realize the even narrower margin for error we work with when companion rescue isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    An airbag isn't a "get out of jail free" card. He could have ended up in the position he was in regardless of the board being on his feet. Or he could have ended up on top, or he could have been buried 10 feet deep with his airbag inflated. Those of us who tour alone regularly (should) realize the even narrower margin for error we work with when companion rescue isn't an option.
    I hear ya. But there is a lot of evidence that airbags do a pretty good job keeping people ontop. It's not like they are useless
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The effectiveness of them is highly dependent on the terrain in which a slide occurs, what the deposition zone looks like, the size/depth of the slide and where the skier is relative to the slab. There are quite a few scenarios where their effectiveness is limited.

I own one and tour with it regularly, so I'm an advocate for their use. I hope I never have to find out if it's capable of saving my life, but I can tell you that I don't factor the (potential) added safety it provides into my terrain selection. [I'm also not insinuating that is what happened on Trelease, as a point of clarification]

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I hear ya. But there is a lot of evidence that airbags do a pretty good job keeping people ontop. It's not like they are useless
    Nobody said they were useless, just that they aren’t going to save you in every slide. Look at the size of this slide, 20’ fractures, 9 acres of debris, deposition in the trees. Your little airbag ain’t much help there.

And no, split board bindings aren’t releasable, whether in ski or ride mode, and even that Voile release device depends on you reaching down to pull it. Try doing that to both feet when you are in a massive slide like this one.

One thing from the report that I’d dicker with is

Traveling alone in avalanche terrain increases the consequences if you are caught in an avalanche. Although this was a very large avalanche, Rider 2’s head was buried only a foot beneath the snow surface. A partner that was not in the avalanche may have quickly rescued Rider 2. Rider 2 did have traumatic injuries, so we don’t know if a speedy recovery would have produced a different outcome.
    Given where the rider was caught, having a partner would have likely meant two deaths. IMO having a partner does not save you in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.