Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The most versatile ski in your quiver, whatever that is. And I wouldn't buy a ski for its spring skiing quality--the whole point of spring skiing is to find the easy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    anything with full rocker
    Sorry for the jong question but can you elaborate about why full rocker is good for spring conditions?

Monster 98 or 108. Awesome.

I need to find a pair of those bad.

LP 105

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

M102 all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Sorry for the jong question but can you elaborate about why full rocker is good for spring conditions?
    Not to answer for Judo but I agree, love full rocker for spring slop. Lots of tip and tail rocker with some taper is nice too. Allows you pivot easily through heavy sticky snow. In those conditions I guess it all depends on whether you want to force it and try and carve up the slush (I don't) or instead slash and slide on everything (I do).

That all being said I'm trying to decide between which skis to bring this weekend as it's supposed to be damn near 70° on the mountain. Gotta believe there's not going to be a hard patch to be found anywhere past 10 or 11am. Leaning towards Wren108s or Deviation The Mode 112s for the morning and then either OG Protests or OG Hellbents when things get really sloppy in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Not to answer for Judo but I agree, love full rocker for spring slop. Lots of tip and tail rocker with some taper is nice too. Allows you pivot easily through heavy sticky snow. In those conditions I guess it all depends on whether you want to force it and try and carve up the slush (I don't) or instead slash and slide on everything (I do).

That all being said I'm trying to decide between which skis to bring this weekend as it's supposed to be damn near 70° on the mountain. Gotta believe there's not going to be a hard patch to be found anywhere past 10 or 11am. Leaning towards Wren108s or Deviation The Mode 112s for the morning and then either OG Protests or OG Hellbents when things get really sloppy in the afternoon.
    Thanks! I've been on Volkl 100eights the last couple weeks which I bought here, I definitely get it now. Not tons of rocker which is nice for getting some bite on hard morning snow but its amazing how nice it is to slash thru afternoon slop

I'm on some dynastar menace 98s for the spring snow and I really like them. Very jibby and still somewhat damp
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

My current favorite.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stock remount.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	371643

I found lotus 120 are in the sweet spot from november to jully.

Between 95 to a Hundo waist, spring snow base grind is key. Wax nightly

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    spring snow base grind is key. Wax nightly
    And the big bottle of Zardoz.

Have been having a blast on Fatypus D'Root 182 two springs running, although last year was cut short. 92mm gives enough float for anything under about a foot, at least denser/wetter spring mank.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I've had some seriously fun times on the original Liberty Origin 96. Not a heavy refrozen mush buster but it can farm all kinds of corn with the best of'm. Strong, and dynamic. Will go FAST on demand
    Yes and yes. I love mine (original too) except for the light weight which makes them chattery and not too grippy on frozen or icy until the corn arrives. And the top sheet is actually inspiring compared to so many boring skis.

For a change, this year I went with new Brahma 88s. They are heavy and more traditional shaped but they charge through mank and crust and crud really nicely. I don't miss the 0.8 cm waist difference. I like that they don't suck when they hot sticky snow like a wider ski and ... they really blast through everything. They flatten the tops off soft moguls nicely. But they are heavier and require a lot more attention. They won't reward a relaxed skier stance.

The Origin 96 is so nimble, so versatile. So convenient. I'll be keeping that ski for a long time. Oh yes, mine are falling apart at the tails now. Nothing some epoxy can't fix.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Reviving this thread because California is looking at a veeery long spring/summer season and a lot of sales are happening now.

Any other suggestions for a great spring ski? That can handle hard snow, corn, slush bumps, and mashed potatoes? Would give this ski a permanent spring structure.

I have been using an older Kendo for a while in this slot but curious if there are other good options.

Kendo is a fair call.

Grind for spring and ride it like you stole it.

The M-Free 99 looks like a great spring ski. Camber UF, long rockered nose and tail. Good energy at a reasonable weight. Mount point can change to any preference.

If it's spring, I'm doing park laps, so I'll be on my 4FRNT Switch's. They do pretty well all over the mountain.

I've had a blast during spring on Line SFB's. Not great when it's crusty in the AM, but really fun to rip turns when it gets soft.

I'm primarily riding Enforcer 110's right now. I'm going to bet they'll crush all aspects (except park) of spring. Damp and edge well. Floats and skis short. I'm pretty happy with them.

I ski the vw mantras in the spring. Great skis.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

90mm waist. A good amount of tip and tail rocker. Fairly stout but round flex pattern. Pretty centered mount.

Been skiing the on3p magnus in the spring and theyre blast. Quick and manueverable but stiff enough to blast through slush.

I'm surprised at the recommendations for such narrow skis for spring. I always wanted something heavy and stiff and on the fatter side for skiing soft spring slush.

K108 is great for that.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Sorry, i thought the request was for backcountry. I agree the k108 is perfect for resort spring skiing

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I’m of the opinion that side cut is the enemy in slushy snow. My absolute favorite spring ski is the head monster 102 team edition, besides having almost zero resale value I keep it for spring skiing. Absolute beast in slush bumps. Noticeably faster than modern ski shapes (I’m as lazy as it gets as regards waxing) in slush. My theory is that side cut ads an eddy effect and slows skis down in slush. Straight and stiff for spring skiing. My second favorite spring ski would be the Volant spatula.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm surprised at the recommendations for such narrow skis for spring. I always wanted something heavy and stiff and on the fatter side for skiing soft spring slush.

K108 is great for that.

Also picked up a used K108 this winter so I'll have to try them in spring conditions. Not sure I'd want to put a permanent spring structure on them though, seems like too good of a mid winter ski also.

What about monster 98?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Also picked up a used K108 this winter so I'll have to try them in spring conditions. Not sure I'd want to put a permanent spring structure on them though, seems like too good of a mid winter ski also.

What about monster 98?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Yeah my hope this season is to maybe decide on a ski to "relegate " to spring duty so I can just leave a spring structure and warm wax on them for when conditions are appropriate, but I'm not sure i would do that to my K108 when I look at my current quiver.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season