Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Favorite Ski for Spring Conditions?

I currently have a pair of jester pros sitting around that I'm not doing anything with, so what better to do than buy another pair of skis? I'm looking for a ski that could take over as a new daily driver for me, but priority goes to spring skiing performance(skiing Summit County area). I've been skiing a pair of KORE 99's (189cm) which are alright, but just aren't really what I want. I found them to be pretty unforgiving in moguls and anytime snow is fairly rough they can get bounced a little more than I would like at speed. I'm looking for a heavier ski, maybe a little bit wider too. Ideally looking for a charger that retains a little bit of playfulness. What do you guys think fits the bill?

Current List: B.C. Corvus, B.C. Atris, ON3P Wren 108, Blizzard Bonafide, Blizzard Cochise, Dynastar M-Pro 99 or 105. Slightly concerned about 27+ m radius on a couple of these for busy days. Open to suggestions.

Buy those 188 Corvus in Gear Swap

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For spring conditions, I'd be more concerned with base prep than specific model. If we're really talking about mashed potatoes, you want something you can stay up on edge longer with, so bigger radius might be better. After that, you want a good structure, lots of slush wax, and a little graphite additive. Make sure you really scrape and brush too. Longer radius is also going to be better for slushy moguls. Maybe even skinnier, also.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Moment Meridian

For heavier charger it’s hard to beat the bonafide 97. Mantra 102 is a an incredible ski but for spring would go with the less metallic feeling bonafide. Or split the difference and get the new mantra m6.

Mpro 99 is much lighter and a lot more nimble. Might be my choice for spring skiing unless you really want a lot of weight. But in heavier snow bonafide and mantra would be better. Bonafide in 183 is 300 grams heavier per ski than mpro in 186 and has a longer effective edge, is less forgiving, has much better edge grip and a higher speed limit. Mpro is more flickable, maneuverable, and light, with a surprisingly high performance ceiling, but won’t bust through 4-5 inches of heavy tracked out snow like a bonafide or mantra 102.

The funnest spring ski I owned was the Head Mojo 94.

Other fun ski corn skis:
    Legend Pro Rider/105
    Menace 98
    Bonafides
    Cochise

I think stiff is key for spring slop. Also spatulas rule that shit.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    spatulas rule that shit.

This man speaks the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FreeskiTrenchCarver View Post
    I currently have a pair of jester pros sitting around that I'm not doing anything with, so what better to do than buy another pair of skis? I'm looking for a ski that could take over as a new daily driver for me, but priority goes to spring skiing performance(skiing Summit County area). I've been skiing a pair of KORE 99's (189cm) which are alright, but just aren't really what I want. I found them to be pretty unforgiving in moguls and anytime snow is fairly rough they can get bounced a little more than I would like at speed. I'm looking for a heavier ski, maybe a little bit wider too. Ideally looking for a charger that retains a little bit of playfulness. What do you guys think fits the bill?

Current List: B.C. Corvus, B.C. Atris, ON3P Wren 108, Blizzard Bonafide, Blizzard Cochise, Dynastar M-Pro 99 or 105. Slightly concerned about 27+ m radius on a couple of these for busy days. Open to suggestions.
    I also ski the k99. Have you found these are real bad on anything icy?

im used to Volkl GS type skis that are solid on ice but these 99s seem real bad. Maybe I’m spoiled now I live in CO.

I might ask my FIL if I can use his Rossi TI88 EXP this spring I dunno.

id love some spatulas just for the nostalgia but too broke to buy anything now
    Last edited by RyansFaith; 02-14-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Favorite Ski for Spring Conditions?

Wren 96ti

You need to try Line Sakana. It wouldn't be my first choice for skied out resort day, but for spring slush it's really fun ski. I'm still regretting selling mine last year. It's short, tight radius, kinda soft but somehow they deliver tons of fun.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I think stiff is key for spring slop. Also spatulas rule that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    This man speaks the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never been on Spats, but PB's slay corn-mush too

Stuckie's right about spring structure and wax

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    I also ski the k99. Have you found these are real bad on anything icy?

im used to Volkl GS type skis that are solid on ice but these 99s seem real bad. Maybe I’m spoiled now I live in CO.

I might ask my FIL if I can use his Rossi TI88 EXP this spring I dunno.

id love some spatulas just for the nostalgia but too broke to buy anything now
    Yeah I've found them to be pretty bad when its really firm, but I'm also in a position where I've been spoiled by the 193cm FIS GS skis. On softish snow the KORE's can be super fun and actually do really well carving, but it seems like I've skied far more icy days this year than I'd like too on those skis...

Faction CT2.0

CANDIDE THOVEX SERIES 2.0
    RADIUS
    20M @ 183CM
    WEIGHT
    2270G @ 183CM
    131MM
    102MM
    127MM

I've been looking at a pair of the Sakanas after Blister's review on them. It sounds like they're super fun to slash and carve around in slush. My only concern is I feel like it would be too specialized of a ski for my quiver.
    Last edited by FreeskiTrenchCarver; 02-14-2021 at 06:05 PM.

K2 MB99 is awesome in slush and corn

I got a stiffer magnus 102 for specifically. Maybe a woodsman 102 if you want something directional?

Yeah I've found them to be pretty bad when its really firm, but I'm also in a position where I've been spoiled by the 193cm FIS GS skis. On softish snow the KORE's can be super fun and actually do really well carving, but it seems like I've skied far more icy days this year than I'd like too on those skis...
    I love them in the soft, and they carve really well on soft groomers and crush powder bumps. Yeah I have seen lots of mixed conditions this year and transitions from boilerplate to soft and back that 200 gs skis would blast through but man it’s nuts on the 99s.

Enforcer 93 is a great spring ski. So is the mx98 and the Cochise. I like flattish tips in corn and slushies
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    For heavier charger it’s hard to beat the bonafide 97. Mantra 102 is a an incredible ski but for spring would go with the less metallic feeling bonafide. Or split the difference and get the new mantra m6.

Mpro 99 is much lighter and a lot more nimble. Might be my choice for spring skiing unless you really want a lot of weight. But in heavier snow bonafide and mantra would be better. Bonafide in 183 is 300 grams heavier per ski than mpro in 186 and has a longer effective edge, is less forgiving, has much better edge grip and a higher speed limit. Mpro is more flickable, maneuverable, and light, with a surprisingly high performance ceiling, but won’t bust through 4-5 inches of heavy tracked out snow like a bonafide or mantra 102.
    What year bonafide do you think would be best? My understanding is that the bonafide used to be a heavy, unforgiving, hard charging ski but over time they made it much more forgiving and have now transitioned back to that heavy hard charging ski that it used to be. Not to say that it wasn't a hard charger for those intermediate years, just less so than the oldest version.
    Last edited by FreeskiTrenchCarver; 02-14-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Another ski that came to mind that I didn't see mentioned here is the Dynastar M-Free 108. Blister's review of it (the 182 cm) ski wasn't as positive as what I've heard here about the 192cm. Is this a ski worth looking into for me or should I steer somewhere else?

My GPOs are great in Spring slop, and ok to good in morning frozen barnacles.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've had some seriously fun times on the original Liberty Origin 96. Not a heavy refrozen mush buster but it can farm all kinds of corn with the best of'm. Strong, and dynamic. Will go FAST on demand

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My GPOs are great in Spring slop, and ok to good in morning frozen barnacles.
    I own a pair of 182cm GPO's and have found them to leave me wanting another ski anytime its not super soft or deep. Even then I wonder if another ski would make me happier. Maybe I need to have a base grind done? I've heard that the factory tune on the praxis skis can be pretty horrendous. I also wish I bought a longer length. Mine are built up with the standard core/flex and I just have not had the same love for them that others on this forum have.

Another ski that came to mind that I didn't see mentioned here is the Dynastar M-Free 108. Blister's review of it (the 182 cm) ski wasn't as positive as what I've heard here about the 192cm. Is this a ski worth looking into for me or should I steer somewhere else?
    The blister review sucks and they really need to test the 192.

I didn't suggest the mfree108 since you were asking skis that I would slot for just spring corn lsps. Still stand behind the mojo 94 suggestion (black topsheet with a snowflake on it).

Mfree is a damn fun ski, check the Dynastar thread for more details.