Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    For spring I feel like something that can charge through crud is what I typically go for. Not bad to have the enforcer 100s or the bonafides as people were saying

A snowboard.

(Kidding/not kidding)

They slay the soft crud.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

anything with full rocker

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    A snowboard.

(Kidding/not kidding)

They slay the soft crud.
    also yes.

Favorite Ski for Spring Conditions?

I got some 2020 K2 Catamarans for cheap that I'm gonna try in spring slush this year. Should be surfy in the deep slush. Lots of tip and tail rocker.

If not, then I'll be on Enforcer 104 Frees.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	371658

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	371659
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-15-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeskiTrenchCarver View Post
    I own a pair of 182cm GPO's and have found them to leave me wanting another ski anytime its not super soft or deep. Even then I wonder if another ski would make me happier. Maybe I need to have a base grind done? I've heard that the factory tune on the praxis skis can be pretty horrendous. I also wish I bought a longer length. Mine are built up with the standard core/flex and I just have not had the same love for them that others on this forum have.
    Not a horrendous tune out of the factory, but super sharp.

Dull the edges (as in rounded) up to about 2" before the tip and tail taper ends. From there to about 2" into the sidecut, feather them so that by the time you're 2" into the sidecut, they're sharp.

Gummies and other stones don't apply for this major work. We're talkin' mill bastard file. If you haven't done this, you'll discover a completely new (and predictable) ski.

As a matter of course, any ski (I don't care from whom) should be checked with a true bar before your first day on them. I'm amazed at how many people ski for multiple days, scratch their head and ask if they should check the base for true-ness?

Failing that (and a tune), maybe they're not for you.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

For spring lift ski:
    In the AM, when it's still fast and firm - I'll use my GS skis.
    By mid AM, I'm either on a Cochise, or Bodacious.
    (Of course that's what I'm always on, when it's softer, spring or not - so no change there.)
    But of all the stuff I've skied, they're the sweetest in slop, IMO. Stiff, damp, big radius skis rule slush-piles.
    Damn, I can hardly wait - spring smush can be SO MUCH FUN!

Volkl One's are pretty sweet when it's slurpee snow. (Two's might be good too - now that I've got a pair, I'll probably try 'em.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The blister review sucks and they really need to test the 192.

I didn't suggest the mfree108 since you were asking skis that I would slot for just spring corn lsps. Still stand behind the mojo 94 suggestion (black topsheet with a snowflake on it).

Mfree is a damn fun ski, check the Dynastar thread for more details.
    Yeah I guess I've kind of changed my priorities since I first posted. The more I've skied the Kore's, the more I've realized that they really aren't what I want. It just doesn't do anything super well, so I've kind of shifted toward picking up a new daily driver rather than just a ski for spring. I'm still heavily factoring in spring performance though (when its soft, not the refreeze). I've got enough FIS race skis from my days racing to rip hard groomers all morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    For spring lift ski:
    In the AM, when it's still fast and firm - I'll use my GS skis.
    By mid AM, I'm either on a Cochise, or Bodacious.
    (Of course that's what I'm always on, when it's softer, spring or not - so no change there.)
    But of all the stuff I've skied, they're the sweetest in slop, IMO. Stiff, damp, big radius skis rule slush-piles.
    Damn, I can hardly wait - spring smush can be SO MUCH FUN!

Volkl One's are pretty sweet when it's slurpee snow. (Two's might be good too - now that I've got a pair, I'll probably try 'em.)
    Have you been on both the bonafide and the cochise? I'm considering both just not sure which I would prefer. Sounds like the bonafide is a better all around ski while the Cochise beats out the bonafide when everything is soft. Definitely did not get my fix of spring skiing last season with resorts shutting down so super stoked for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Dull the edges (as in rounded) up to about 2" before the tip and tail taper ends. From there to about 2" into the sidecut, feather them so that by the time you're 2" into the sidecut, they're sharp.

Gummies and other stones don't apply for this major work. We're talkin' mill bastard file. If you haven't done this, you'll discover a completely new (and predictable) ski.

As a matter of course, any ski (I don't care from whom) should be checked with a true bar before your first day on them. I'm amazed at how many people ski for multiple days, scratch their head and ask if they should check the base for true-ness?

... Thom
    I did detune them a little bit, but not like you suggested. I'll give that a go for sure. I will say, the GPO's are sick in trees. Part of that is the length I think, but once they're moving, they're super quick if you can find the right position to ski them.

Mantra M5 have been my go to for spring slop.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Have you been on both the bonafide and the cochise? I'm considering both just not sure which I would prefer. Sounds like the bonafide is a better all around ski while the Cochise beats out the bonafide when everything is soft. Definitely did not get my fix of spring skiing last season with resorts shutting down so super stoked for this season.
    Yeah, I have. I think it was a 2017 Bonafide that I spent a fair bit of time on (and bent/unbent it too - there's a thread here about it.) I've been on a few other versions of the Bonafide too, but not for much time.
    I've also been on the OG Cochise as well as the newer carbon (2015-2020, IIRC) ones. [But not the new 106, or whatever it is this year.]

IMO, there's simply no comparison between the two.
    I certainly didn't dislike the Bonafide, but I'd take the Cochise over the Bonafide by a *very wide* margin.
    But I'm also the guy who skis everything as fast as possible, hates to slow down in chop, hates moguls (at least firm ones) and loves massive stable skis.

I think for firmer conditions, the carbon Cochises actually have pretty similar grip to the Bonafides - and perform pretty similarly overall. Obviously it's a bit wider, so a touch less edge - but IMO not a lot of difference. The OG Cochises def didn't have the same edge-hold on fimer days - but were better steam-rollers. (I'd pick the old one over new, all things equal.)

In short, the Bonafide, for me on the '17 version (and I have the same impression for the other version I've skied) has a way lower speed limit. It decomposes way sooner. I would always feel like I need to be quite a lot more careful on the Bonafide than the Cochise to manage speed and exercise more care. I chicken out before the Cochise, though.

So, the choice (again for me) is so easily for the Cochise vs Bonafide. It's way more versatile for how and where I ski. (PNW, where it's never very long until another storm comes along and so it's never very hard for long. And the snow isn't often very light - so crud/chop-busting is 90% of any day. I'd rather ski a day that might not be the dream for the first 45m, but for the next six or seven hours keeps mowing everything down. Even then, I've skied the Cochise on days with 40"+ of light fluffy new snow and wasn't unhappy.)

And keep in mind that I love the Bodacious - which appeals to quite a few here, but certainly isn't a mass-appeal ski. So, I don't know that my feelings about things will apply to you.

BTW, If you make it out my way (Portland OR), PM me. I'd be glad to let you ski anything I've got. (At least if I'm not really wanting to ski it that day!)
    Though the Bonafides are gone. (Well I still have one ski left.) My cousin skied them into a tree at White Pass and patrol somehow never brought down the second ski. 'Cous. wasn't in any shape to bug them about it. And they never turned up after. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    BTW, If you make it out my way (Portland OR), PM me. I'd be glad to let you ski anything I've got. (At least if I'm not really wanting to ski it that day!)
    Though the Bonafides are gone. (Well I still have one ski left.) My cousin skied them into a tree at White Pass and patrol somehow never brought down the second ski. 'Cous. wasn't in any shape to bug them about it. And they never turned up after. Oh well.
    Definitely have me thinking more about the Cochise now. Probably looking for the Cochise (blue topsheet?), Woodsman 108, or Dynastar MF108 now. As for testing skis, I'm out in CO and don't think I'll make it out to OR anytime soon. I definitely appreciate the offer though. Super generous to let a random dude come borrow your skis.

While my 184 wrenegade 96 leave a little to be desired on firm groomers all winter, come spring they are absolutely in their element. As soon as it softens up they come to life. Stable and fast but also easy to slarve with the big tip rise. A good mix of playful and poppy while having no trouble going stupid fast through shit snow.

I had a pair of the same bindings sitting around and had the same thought a could weeks ago. My solution was a Bodacious 186. If the fucking thing would show up in the mail id be fucking stoked. Until then I’m going to keep thinking about how fun it will be. Corvus is fun too. I think my bodacious may become My 1 ski quiver. Or maybe I’ll keep the Corvus too. And the nocta.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I had a pair of the same bindings sitting around and had the same thought a could weeks ago. My solution was a Bodacious 186. If the fucking thing would show up in the mail id be fucking stoked. Until then I’m going to keep thinking about how fun it will be. Corvus is fun too. I think my bodacious may become My 1 ski quiver. Or maybe I’ll keep the Corvus too. And the nocta.
    One ski quiver with a 118mm waist? I have a pair of Corvus freebirds for my touring setup that I like. They do feel a bit weak, but that may also be my touring boots. How comparable are the Corvus vs Corvus Freebird? I think the Freebird is fully cambered and the Corvus is fully rockered, so not sure how similar they would ski.

Moment Meridian 187!

The full-rocker ski, yet not super wide and heavy combination is so good in corn & mashed potatoes.

Prior to a Meridian I used my old 186 Bibby's (the flat underfoot original design) almost exclusively as a spring ski.

One ski quiver with a 118mm waist? I have a pair of Corvus freebirds for my touring setup that I like. They do feel a bit weak, but that may also be my touring boots. How comparable are the Corvus vs Corvus Freebird? I think the Freebird is fully cambered and the Corvus is fully rockered, so not sure how similar they would ski.
    Fuck those Corvus freebirds. And the rest of the freebird line. And the ferox. The only touring ski worth a shit black crows has built is the Solis.

I’ve had a Corvus FB, have a ferox, had a orb FB, had a Ova FB. They all ski the same. Like a big floppy pile of dog shit. Just like a extruded base piece of shit.

Their freebirds completely lack the build quality that black crows uses on their alpine skis. The edges are garbage. The skis are soft.

Ya I ski a Corvus daily. The regular one. It’s awesome. The Solis is built just like it. But less taper.

But yup. I’ll ski a 108-118 everyday as long as it’s a real ski. I’ve had my Justis out twice this year and it’s just dumb. I’d rather be on a wide ski all day as conditions change.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    So I detuned the skis a bit beyond what I originally did and have to say they were way more fun than I remember/expexted. I skied them up at A-Bay yesterday and had a ton of fun skiing through wind-blown snow. The skis to me feel super pivot and super easy to break into a slide. There's way more energy in these skis than I remember. Especially the tails. Groomers were still pretty bad. I just didn't feel like I had any significant edge hold to where I could pressure the ski, but that shouldn't be expected with a ski this wide and loose/smeary/pivoty (not really sure how to describe the feeling).

What year bonafide do you think would be best? My understanding is that the bonafide used to be a heavy, unforgiving, hard charging ski but over time they made it much more forgiving and have now transitioned back to that heavy hard charging ski that it used to be. Not to say that it wasn't a hard charger for those intermediate years, just less so than the oldest version.
    I’ve only skid the current bonafide 97. It’s heavy and smashes and rips. More unforgiving tail (in the 183) compared to the m102 and M6 - doesn’t feel good getting backseat in bumps - the volkls have a stiffer tail but more forgiving flex in the middle of the ski so, to me, feel more forgiving when getting backseat. The volkl tails kind of support you back up, rather then buck you like the bonafide. Just my experience.

Name:	IMG_20200325_151921.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	980.6 KB 
ID:	365158

Secure a set of these.
    Proceed to crush everything in sight ...

^^^
    Very good spring ski. I love mine in spring bumps.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Alright just an update to everyone that's offered suggestions, I ended up buying a pair of Dynastar M-Free 108 flats. Super stoked to get them mounted and ski them. I'm expecting them to take over as my daily driver, but time will tell. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Surprisingly, Noctas are the best spring ski I’ve been on. Huge fast turns, blowing through sloppy spring chop with unbelievable suspension. First ski that felt like it had no top end in spring conditions