Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm surprised at the recommendations for such narrow skis for spring. I always wanted something heavy and stiff and on the fatter side for skiing soft spring slush.

K108 is great for that.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    This, but light and stiff also works.

Call me crazy if you want, but if you know you know.

Bent chetler 120.
    Like descending on butter knives.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

The only right choice is a monoski. Faction, sego, snowgunz, vintage. Nothing beats corn face shots in May, nothing gives you more face shots than a monoski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    The only right choice is a monoski. Faction, sego, snowgunz, vintage. Nothing beats corn face shots in May, nothing gives you more face shots than a monoski.

Now we're talkin

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah my hope this season is to maybe decide on a ski to "relegate " to spring duty so I can just leave a spring structure and warm wax on them for when conditions are appropriate
    Yeah that's exactly what I am considering

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not a metalhead in spring. Medium stiff wood skis with a softer shovel. Movements fit the bill. Loved my Sluffs for this, now it's the Go 106. So good in slushy bumps

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Atris is a blast for spring skiing

I think that wax and tips are key. Soon, I will place summer wax on my MX89 and change up my ZX108 and Bodacious to purple flouro.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.

EC resort spring I’m all about the mFree 99. Smeary and fun with enough bite to deal on the random ice plates.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I've had good luck with my full rocker 2011 Gotamas in wet spring snow. Wish they were a bit lighter due to my age.

following
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yes I posted up thread - but just a reminder!
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...78#post6244578

I was kind'a sad. Last year it just kept snowing and we never really got spring corn before the lifts closed.
    Closing day was pretty glorious - like 8+" of somewhat dense pow. But I missed corned up slush!

That sounds like heresy, I know - but I love spring skiing. And the way things look right now, we may not get much sunny-smushy spring this year either, before lifts quit turning for the year. Sigh.

I still take out my AK made 183 Bros for spring slush. The Explosives tend to make an appearance as well.

If it's really warm/heavy piled up snow I'll swap out for the OG Cochise.

All similar I suppose in that they're straight, stiff skis that like to make big turns and will smash through whatever's in front of them without a second thought.

Line Sakana makes the mountain a playground when Spring comes calling… the fat tips are not so great in the bumps however.

With a rack filled with various Volkl/Head/Blizzard etc metal lam skis, my go to skis this spring for resort days are the Fischer 107ti and 99ti. It’s like having all the power and edge hold you get from old school metal lam, but lower swing weight and just enough rocker for versatility.

4 pages in and no Devestator fanbois (I see you Meridian peeps)? I'll go. The dev is a lot of fun in a lot of conditions, but spring is probably its forte. Traditional tip/tail shape rips turns in corn, reverse camber + long radius keeps you from getting hung up in da slush or hot pow. Lots of energy out of turns in those conditions. The old heavy ones can rage through taters and tracked out whatever. The jury is out on the newer/lighter ones.

That said, If it's going to be very icy/firm, I'd prefer to be on something with some camber. For me that's a Faction CT 1.0 for inbounds or an Armada Declivity 98 for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Yes I posted up thread - but just a reminder!
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...78#post6244578

I was kind'a sad. Last year it just kept snowing and we never really got spring corn before the lifts closed.
    Closing day was pretty glorious - like 8+" of somewhat dense pow. But I missed corned up slush!

That sounds like heresy, I know - but I love spring skiing. And the way things look right now, we may not get much sunny-smushy spring this year either, before lifts quit turning for the year. Sigh.
    I agree! Spring skiing in the sun is awesome! I love the good visibility and my legs are in great shape by the spring. You can charge all day! Fun stuff!
    More cowbell!!!

How wide do you spring afficianados go up to for your inbounds spring ride before it gets pointlessly big?

Favorite Ski for Spring Conditions?

~100 under foot in New England, 105-115 out west.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    4 pages in and no Devestator fanbois (I see you Meridian peeps)? I'll go. The dev is a lot of fun in a lot of conditions, but spring is probably its forte. Traditional tip/tail shape rips turns in corn, reverse camber + long radius keeps you from getting hung up in da slush or hot pow. Lots of energy out of turns in those conditions. The old heavy ones can rage through taters and tracked out whatever. The jury is out on the newer/lighter ones.
    The OG 194 Devastators surf, smear and carve through that stuff while begging me to ski them faster than I’m capable of. Stoked to hear more reviews on the Heritage Labs FR110.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    How wide do you spring afficianados go up to for your inbounds spring ride before it gets pointlessly big?
    Gold Bluehouse Maven fkn rules corn to mank.

I am very happy with my Stance 96s. The only time I want something wider is when there a crust over ungroomed.

More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Gold Bluehouse Maven fkn rules corn to mank.
    I was thinking about tagging you in this thread to comment because I recall you mentioning before how much you love this ski in spring.

And that's 139 under foot, yes?

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I was thinking about tagging you in this thread to comment because I recall you mentioning before how much you love this ski in spring.

And that's 139 under foot, yes?

Yep, 139

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    105, but only because the LP 105 slays spring slop. Usually I'm in the 90-100mm, metal laminate, crank up the thrash and ski through brick walls range. Spring skiing is my absolute favorite, I don't care what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post

monoskiing in corn is super fun!!!

When i was 20, i had a great few days skiing mammoth in ideal corn conditions. i alpine skied, tried tele skiing (i got hooked - tall leather boots and kazima skis), and monoskied (rental at kittridge sports). learning to tele skiing in corn is pretty ideal. monoskiing in corn is a blast. chair 23 was closed when i was there, but it felt pretty cool, as a 20 year old to straightline from the gondola house up the saddle, dismount, walk up to the top of chair 23 and make monoski jump turns down the wipeout chutes in smooth buttery corn over and over again.

this season, i'm trying out mantra m102's (on tele) as my inbounds DD including in spring conditions. a new ski for me. i've skied them in hardpack (rain crust bed surface), packed powder, day-old crud, groomers, and soft bumps: steep to mellow. i loved my older explosives in spring conditions. i expect the M102's to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post

That said, If it's going to be very icy/firm, I'd prefer to be on something with some camber. For me that's a Faction CT 1.0 for inbounds or an Armada Declivity 98 for touring.
    I might try the new ones next year when I can get a 186. I was late to the game this year and missed out on them.

Spring means chunky, icy off-piste, firm groomers (when its cold enough for a refreeze) and corn. I like a ski with some metal this time of year. I'll go no metal for a pure corn ski. Softer flex. Early rise rocker so they don't get locked into the slop. 105-110 width.