Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best "Budget" Lightweight 29er Wheelset?

I'm in the process of building up a light(er) trail bike, and I'm trying to shave weight where it makes financial sense.... I'd like to find a wheelset that's sub-1600g and won't break the bank.

The best option I've found so far is Light Bicycle, I can build up a couple different options: one is their 34mm wide (28mm internal) carbon AM rim with a DT Swiss 350/54t hub that comes in around 1600g. Or I can do their 30mm (24mm internal) with the same hub that's around 1500g; both are being quoted at $750'ish. I can't find a damn thing that's comparable on Pinkbike, and any new name-brand set that's close is at least double that price.

Any other options I should be looking at?

Btlos gets good reviews on Mithras and is cheaper than lightbike but I haven’t used. I have a lb am28 on the front of my hard tail that I am happy with but splurged on we are one for my fs that arrive this week for something stronger.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    If Alloy is an option and you want a reliable custom hand build, check out Cascadia Wheel Co. Their stock build #9 seems close to what you are after, 1650g, $600. Their carbon builds are outside your range. I have two sets built by Joey (co-owner) they will take care of you.

stans pre-built?

but for carbon, the light stuff can't be beat (unless something goes wrong) Unsure if any warranty/help from asia vs your LBS?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    stans pre-built?

but for carbon, the light stuff can't be beat (unless something goes wrong) Unsure if any warranty/help from asia vs your LBS?
    I looked at Stans, but the Crest CB7 is around 1450g and is only 23mm wide... and about $1400. I used to get a pro deal through them but it's been a few years. Chaka, I'll take a look at Cascadia....

Can you get a pro deal on the new Spec/Roval ultralight trail wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm in the process of building up a light(er) trail bike, and I'm trying to shave weight where it makes financial sense.... I'd like to find a wheelset that's sub-1600g and won't break the bank.

The best option I've found so far is Light Bicycle, I can build up a couple different options: one is their 34mm wide (28mm internal) carbon AM rim with a DT Swiss 350/54t hub that comes in around 1600g. Or I can do their 30mm (24mm internal) with the same hub that's around 1500g; both are being quoted at $750'ish. I can't find a damn thing that's comparable on Pinkbike, and any new name-brand set that's close is at least double that price.

Any other options I should be looking at?
    I posted in another thread about the BTLOS wheels I just got, see here.
    Slightly wider (37mm wide, 30 mm internal), AM build, same hub you're looking at, 1550g for the pair and $800 to my door. You'd be under 1500 gram with the 30 mm version.
    I looked at LightBicycle and prices were more or less the same, I ended up going with BTLOS because of hub availability and better communication.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I had a pair of LB wheels, had to warranty one (my fault really), customer service was great. Would buy again.

I bought LB wheels for my gravel bike. They get very good reviews overall and it's hard to beat their prices.

does it have to be carbon?

If you are a blister gear member use that discount or just ask about a discount on we are one faction w/101? Or just ask about 350 if that is what you wantNd see what they say?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

DT swiss pricing through q is pretty good. I've been eyeing the xrc1501s, the 30mm wide carbon xc wheel with 240 hubs. I think not much more than LB rims to 240s.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    DT swiss pricing through q is pretty good. I've been eyeing the xrc1501s, the 30mm wide carbon xc wheel with 240 hubs. I think not much more than LB rims to 240s.
    Sadly I don't have a QBP account.

mtnlion, doesn't have to be carbon but I don't know of any alloy wheels that are 1500g and not super soft or narrow.

Boissal, those BTLOS wheels look sweet. I'll have to do some more digging on their site.

Nobl set me up with an industry account as a ski resort events guy, you surely qualify.

Bump for update... ended up using Ticketchecker's suggestion and got a NOBL pro discount... ended up buying a set of the TR33's with DT Swiss 350/54t ratchet. They say it's ~1550g, which is a good bit less than the wheels I currently have for the build.

Ticketchecker (or smmokan if your wheels have arrived already)... Did you have to pay any import duties on the nobl wheels? I'm trying to figure out that part of the equation and keep getting confused

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Ticketchecker (or smmokan if your wheels have arrived already)... Did you have to pay any import duties on the nobl wheels? I'm trying to figure out that part of the equation and keep getting confused

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Mine are still a couple weeks out, so I can't answer that directly. There was no mention of it during the online checkout process, and nothing in the follow-up email confirmation either.

The only thing I see is that the customer service agent's phone number is US-based, so maybe they ship US orders from the PNW somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Mine are still a couple weeks out, so I can't answer that directly. There was no mention of it during the online checkout process, and nothing in the follow-up email confirmation either.

The only thing I see is that the customer service agent's phone number is US-based, so maybe they ship US orders from the PNW somewhere?
    If they're anything like the other chinese carbon manufacturers you should dodge the import fees as the commercial invoice will have a value that has nothing to do with the price of the wheel. Which is fine by me.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Sounds like you got a sweet wheelset on the way.
    I9 not working for you anymore? Seemed like you had a good thing going with them for a few years.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Sounds like you got a sweet wheelset on the way.
    I9 not working for you anymore? Seemed like you had a good thing going with them for a few years.
    No, I still work with them (I've got Enduro 305s on my other bike, and we'll have them on some of our demos this year).... but their carbon wheelsets are big $$$$ and even with my partner discount, it was a little out of my budget.

I'm on a set of 29" DT xm1501 wheels (aluminum, 30mm inner width, 240 straight pull hubs). They only have about 200miles on them and they've been great. I've weighed them ~1780g. I'm considering getting BTLOS of LB rims and stripping down my wheels to reuse the the 240 hubs for the new wheel build. I'd need some recommendations on spokes and nipples (race or d-light, brass nipples). I'm guessing this step up will be around 1500g. Maybe a bit less if I went with 27mm.

I'm not sure this is worth the cost/effort vs. just selling my setup and ordering complete wheels with 350 or 240 hubs. Cost seems to work out in favor of selling my wheels and ordering a complete wheelset.

Thoughts?

In what world is a 1780g 30mm ID 29er wheelset too heavy? Jesus.
    However many are in a shit ton.

My GF just ordered a set of 30mm IW (we're talking about width, people, not diameter. ID is Inner Diameter) BTLOS wheels. They should be about 1500g with 350 hubs. I have 27mm IW ones with 240s and they are 1390g. IMO unless you're pretty heavy and a bruiser, there's no need to be over 1600g for wheels anymore.

Anyway, all in she was at $940 or so. They were out of Sapim and DT spokes, so we went with Pillar. I'm sure they will be fine. If you're picky about spokes and think you have a source for the ones you want, you'll have to build them yourself.

IMO OP should sell his wheels and buy a whole set.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Diameter does not specifically refer to something that is round. It can be a measurement of a direct line between two surfaces.

di·am·e·ter | dīˈamədər |
    noun
    1 a straight line passing from side to side through the center of a body or figure, especially a circle or sphere.
    • the length of the diameter of a figure, especially a circle or sphere.
    • a transverse measurement of something; width or thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    30mm IW (we're talking about width, people, not diameter. ID is Inner Diameter)
    ID means ‘Inner Dimension’, not ‘Inner Diameter’. This terminology isn’t unique to bikes. Packaging industry (think corrugated boxes) uses ID and OD as ‘inner dimension’ and ‘outer dimension’ as well. There are others.

This is the terminology the bike industry has chosen to use. Get over it.