Modern boots and beast bindings? /Salomon quest repair?

Since my Salomon quest 130s have broken the second time(I destroyed the shell the on the first pair. Now the walk mode broke on the replacement pair) , I'm considering new boots.
    Do you still have to screw on the beast mod? (I think I've heard that you don't have to necessarily anymore with some?)

And:can I fix the walk mode myself? (The metal pin seems to be missing.)

And:which boot has exactly the same fit? Yeah I know try them on. But all shops are closed and I need to order boots.

I've always been a out of the box Salomon guy so mondo point 27.5 shift boots would probably fit, but I'm not keen on more breaking boots.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

You must have the Power Insert installed in the boot to use the Beast 16/14 binding. It'll work without it a few times but the protruding angled metal prongs on the front fo the Beast (that convert the downward pressure of the boot in to rearward movement of the binding to allow the boot to enter) will quickly trash the heel lug of the boot.

It's not a problem... I have them on my boots. I just thought maybe some companies had solved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    It's not a problem... I have them on my boots. I just thought maybe some companies had solved the issue.
    Dynafit solved the problem by discontinuing the bindings. The Shift Pro fits the same (given the liner is different) with a bit more instep height and is better in every way. It's new this year, but no reliability problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Dynafit solved the problem by discontinuing the bindings. The Shift Pro fits the same (given the liner is different) with a bit more instep height and is better in every way. It's new this year, but no reliability problems yet.
    I expect the walk mode to be bomber because they borrowed it from the S/Lab MTN.

Didn't Dynafit make a wider tech heel piece insert plate for some of their boots, which didn't require the Beast "spur" to be retrofitted? I don't know which boots it was on, or if still in production. Or if any other boot manufacturers used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just ordered the shift boots via a connection ... In my size. Hopefully they'll last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Didn't Dynafit make a wider tech heel piece insert plate for some of their boots, which didn't require the Beast "spur" to be retrofitted? I don't know which boots it was on, or if still in production. Or if any other boot manufacturers used it.
    The wider of their two 'Masterfit' heel inserts would work the Beast binding but they installed the narrower one that didn't work the work Beast in their Hoji boot - thus shitting on everyone of their Beast binding customers. They now only do the narrower one, which is secured from the inside of the boot, and no other manufacturer uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Dynafit solved the problem by discontinuing the bindings.
    this, a thousand times this
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The beast 14 has proven to be a good binding to me in every respect minus no flat mode. Which is not super necessary in the wasatch. Got them for a great price from spyderjon. They ski infinitely better than other pin bindings I’ve skied

That's why I use them. It's the only pin binding I've ever trusted. But since my knowledge of pin tech is 5 years old., take it with a grain of salt.
    The beast 16 really holds up to serious charging with my Salomon rocker 2 122s (and tours up to 800-1000m okish) and the 14 is stable yet light weight enough for serious tours up to 1500m+ in good snow with my down 110.
    And they didn't release when I tomahawked and destroyed my boot(first pair where I ripped the shell apart.. which was replaced) Which was perfectly fine since I was not hurt either.

I'd probably fit a shift on my next touring ski and a cast on my freeride setup, but since I've found the perfect two ski quiver for me I won't change much until they break.

hey sp look what i found in my fathers basement arrr no... not what you think
    : D hehe a good austrian joke never gets old

they have hardly any days on them but no tech fittings. but maybe you can recycle the walk mode.
    you can have them for free... tried to sell them online two years ago for 45e and the deal failt.

they just collect dust
    they might be a generation before yours... i guess they are 5years old
    130 flex and flex good in turns so they turn really nice in all sorts of turns you know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	866.5 KB 
ID:	362910

Name:	DSC00456.jpg 
Size:	816.4 KB 
ID:	362911

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    hey sp look what i found in my fathers basement arrr no... not what you think
    : D hehe a good austrian joke never gets old

they have hardly any days on them but no tech fittings. but maybe you can recycle the walk mode.
    you can have them for free... tried to sell them online two years ago for 45e and the deal failt.

they just collect dust
    they might be a generation before yours... i guess they are 5years old
    130 flex and flex good in turns so they turn really nice in all sorts of turns you know

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Size:	866.5 KB 
ID:	362910

Name:	DSC00456.jpg 
Size:	816.4 KB 
ID:	362911
    Damn... If they were 25.5 I might have considered these. Probably the best boot I have ever owned as far as a blend between performance and touring are concerned.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks Nordkette, but my PowderGuide industry connection made shift boots available. Let's see how long they hold up to my middle aged man adventures.

Edit: and GregL the walk mechanism seems identical to my quest 130 walk mechanism? If it is indeed, then it's not exactly perfect
    But maybe it's just the lever and they've changed the inside.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 02-15-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks Nordkette, but my PowderGuide industry connection made shift boots available. Let's see how long they hold up to my middle aged man adventures.

Edit: and GregL the walk mechanism seems identical to my quest 130 walk mechanism? If it is indeed, then it's not exactly perfect
    But maybe it's just the lever and they've changed the inside.
    Not nordekette's boots, the Shift Pro uses a new walk mechanism with no lever at the cuff/shell junction but a hinged spine with the lever up near the level of the top buckle. It is like the one on the S/Lab MTN but with less range.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant the shift boots. I had/have 2017 quests and the lever Looks the same. Nordkette's boot is vastly different.

good that i got it out... hehe it has new owner... : D

I had/have 2017 quests and the lever Looks the same. Nordkette's boot is vastly different.
    You have the QST Pro then, Quest Pro was a different boot. Shift mechanism is the same with more range.

QST Pro was tied for the "Don't try it on customers because it's such a PITA to put the liner back in" winner a few years ago (along with the Maestrale RS) . . . took me five minutes to figure out I needed to undo the Velcro on the tongue to get the liner out . . .

I have the shift boots now. They fit out of the box. Right foot feels a bit funky, but my right foot is slightly bigger than the left. But I'll have to adjust the liners in the oven.

Any comment on the current "do it at home temp"? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210217_112930.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	363370