Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

So when do we talk about opening up some new ski areas?

Ikon, Epic, lines, crowds, and the ensuing shitshow.

The demand clearly exists for more ski terrain, when do we get it?

IMO, I don't see it happening in new areas, I see it happening closer to existing areas. Think rope tows and some lifts on Teton Pass, another couple mountains in VT. When does the critical mass point happen? I'm thinking it is sooner than many think.
    Live Free or Die

With climate change, I see the great white north being the likeliest candidate.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Any new ski area would obviously be an environmental atrocity, on par with, or perhaps slightly worse than an unregulated open pit mine.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Any new ski area would obviously be an environmental atrocity, on par with, or perhaps slightly worse than an unregulated open pit mine.
    I think you're on to something here. Putting a ski area in a mine would keep the terrain constantly changing even if it's short. But every winter there would be new, expanded terrain to announce.

There is a new place being opened up just south of Snowbasin (Ogden) and north of Salt Lake City next year. It's all private though Wasatch Peaks Ranch

https://wprdevco.com/

If you've got the cash or the financing go for it.

I think the most likely thing to happen is the re-opening of resorts that were shuttered. Like Iron Mountain aka Silver Basin near Kirkwood, for example. I would think the environment hurdles would be much easier to overcome.

https://snowbrains.com/the-abandoned-iron-mountain-ca/

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    There is a new place being opened up just south of Snowbasin (Ogden) and north of Salt Lake City next year. It's all private though Wasatch Peaks Ranch

https://wprdevco.com/
    Lol @ the photo of Mt Superior they're using for their website homepage. Their resort is like 50 miles north?

For better or worse, the USFS NEPA protocols and other regulations would make it near impossible to open a new resort on federal land in the west, and many have tried.

Most likely never. A new resort would be a losing proposition. Best to 'improve'; and expand what we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not only that, but I have the feeling just covering operating costs would be nearly impossible. Even with demand. Especially if you're not near a major metro area.
    Installing lifts and carrying insurance seem like they would be prohibitively expensive.

IDK, though, a couple lifts, a small bar/restaurant/lodge, some tree thinning. Might not be too bad environmentally, unless you can't get away from fossil fuels for power. That would give you a pretty big carbon footprint, along with the utility bill that never seems to go down, so matter how cheap energy gets. You'd have to have you're own or easy access to some kind of cheap, renewable energy like a damn. Or a secret nuclear reactor from a stolen Russian sub whose captain has a Scottish accent for some reason.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Think rope tows and some lifts on Teton Pass
    Isn't the Pass busy enough as-is?

What we need is anti-trust enforcement so every ski area isn't VR in the next 20 years. Or worse, some ungodly VR/Ikon merger.
    Then again, mostly just have mom and pop shops near me
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

15 years ago

Well the Gaglardis seem to be doing well enough out of Revelstoke Mountain Resort that they are still interested in building Garibaldi resort near Squamish. Though I won't be surprised if that changes if next season isn't a return to normal.

However don't forget that RMR was very nearly a bust after the 2008 property crash left the original lead investors without the cash to pay their bills and was saved by the minority stake Gaglardis taking it over (and forcing creditors to take less than full payment).

Of course opening new ski areas would be a much more attractive proposition if the number of skiers was increasing - instead of being a game of trying to get a bigger share of a market that isn't growing (well except for growing older).

If the forest service of today existed 50 years ago we would have zero lift skiing in the western states. Let that sink in for a moment.

What we need is anti-trust enforcement so every ski area isn't VR in the next 20 years. Or worse, some ungodly VR/Ikon merger.
    Then again, mostly just have mom and pop shops near me
    I'm pretty sure if Vail bought snowbowl the management would be significantly improved.

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

here's yer new resort,

http://mosquitopass.com

keep up boomers...

https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/home-page/

Millennial paradise.
    Someone to hold your Dick.

Jumbo Glacier Resort. #neverforget

I hear Alta is going to open a snowboard only resort in grizzly gulch.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I am guessing, as alluded to above, the USFS would probably never allow a new permitted ski area on FS land.

Would have to be fully private land in the alpine....somewhere that reliably has at least skiable snow on a "bad" year.

I worked in the house of one of the main dudes behind Wasatch Peaks and got to look at the official drawings/renderings. Have heard that area doesn't get much snow. Probably barely skiable this year?

I can think of a range close to here, no big secret, where I am sure the same group of people behind Wasatch Peaks have looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Jumbo Glacier Resort. #neverforget
    If there are any people still hoping for Valemount Glacier Destination to happen I'm sure they would rather forget all about Jumbo (though they would be well advised not to).

p.s. The most recent 'news' on their website is dated April 3 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I hear Alta is going to open a snowboard only resort in grizzly gulch.
    I laughed.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.