Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to do a ski trip in the NW during this ski fucked year

Having a friend reunion get together of about 10 of us. We're located mainly in Idaho but also spread around other states. In the past we've done trips to Whistler but don't want to deal with crossing the border during these times. Obviously skiing has been fucked this year but we don't want to totally bail on the trip. We're looking at the end of March. Ideally close to an airport would be good. We looked at JHole but ski tickets are already sold out that weekend. Looking at Alta/Snowbird but the LC road is totally nuts and staying on the mountain is ridiculously expensive but maybe we get an airbnb at the mouth of the canyon and get up at 5am. Thinking about Brighton as you can stay on the mountain. Maybe Big Sky? Suggestions?

Airbnb at mouth of Little Cottonwood is great if you're skiing weekdays, weekends not so much. Traffic only gets really bad when there's fresh snow or wet roads, but when its bad its bad

Staying on mountain at Brighton is awesome but like all Utah resorts powder lines are nuts

How bout take a single year off from traveling with your big crew during a pandemic, and keep it local, in-state. Sun Valley or Schweitzer would be a couple places that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Airbnb at mouth of Little Cottonwood is great if you're skiing weekdays, weekends not so much. Traffic only gets really bad when there's fresh snow or wet roads, but when its bad its bad

Staying on mountain at Brighton is awesome but like all Utah resorts powder lines are nuts
    why is an airbnb not great on the weekends? Cause traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    How bout take a single year off from traveling with your big crew during a pandemic, and keep it local, in-state. Sun Valley or Schweitzer would be a couple places that come to mind.
    Yeah fair enough. I'll pitch the idea.

There are a ton of massive air bnb houses near Brighton that are sweet. Just a heads up all of Brighton isn't even open right now due to lack of snow. (A friend told me last weekend lift lines were an hour long.) You could easily take a bus to Solitude to mix it up too.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    In the past we've done trips to Whistler but don't want to deal with crossing the border during these times.
    It's a moot point because you can't cross the border right now.

How about Mt Bachelor? The downside to Bachelor is no lodging at the base, so you've got a 20 mile drive to the mountain from Bend. The upside is there's a lot of lodging options in Bend and it's a real city. Keep in mind that Oregon isn't exactly welcoming out of state visitors with open arms right now.

Forget it.
    Last edited by yeahman; 02-13-2021 at 05:34 PM.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Stay home, bro

Props to those promoting keeping it local this season - ! !! skiJ

Wait... 10 people from different states converging in one place that isn't their home? What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Wait... 10 people from different states converging in one place that isn't their home? What could go wrong?
    A chairlift insurrection?

I appreciate the stay local calls, it’s a difficult decision to travel these days, especially with a big group.

Cascades have avoided tragedy so far this season, but they are due for a shit ton of snow the next week or so. However, a bad few weeks in January means there some PWL monsters possibly lying in wait out there, too.

Outside Seattle Crystal and Alpental are great, but getting tickets can be a challenge. There are condos to be rented at the base of Crystal if you can find tix.

Baker (so far) isn’t a problem, tickets wise. Remote, but great terrain. Condos to be rented in Glacier.

Planning a PNW trip in advance is always a tough proposition because snow levels can vary greatly with storms, but coverage is great.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG4 View Post
    I appreciate the stay local calls, it’s a difficult decision to travel these days, especially with a big group.

Cascades have avoided tragedy so far this season, but they are due for a shit ton of snow the next week or so. However, a bad few weeks in January means there some PWL monsters possibly lying in wait out there, too.

Outside Seattle Crystal and Alpental are great, but getting tickets can be a challenge. There are condos to be rented at the base of Crystal if you can find tix.

Baker (so far) isn’t a problem, tickets wise. Remote, but great terrain. Condos to be rented in Glacier.

Planning a PNW trip in advance is always a tough proposition because snow levels can vary greatly with storms, but coverage is great.
    Avoided tragedy?

There was an avalanche fatality on Monday of this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sounds like fun! Wherever you decide to go, you're bound to encounter low crowds and welcoming locals! Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by JTG4 View Post

How about not coming to the PNW.

At least until my fucking kid can go to school.

Christ.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Sounds like fun! Wherever you decide to go, you're bound to encounter low crowds and welcoming locals! Enjoy!!
    HaHaHaHa.... Sarcasm is Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Going on a trip with your spouse or family is one thing. Frowned upon by some, but not really that big of a deal IMO. Limited social circle, youre all together anyways... the risk is pretty mitigated.

Getting 9 of your friends together from one of the least give-a-fuck-about-covid states in the union to go on a bros trip out of state where there will be much drinking, socializing and sharing of germs is a pretty bad idea. Objectively, from all angles.

If OP doesnt won't raincheck the bro trip this year, the least he can do is keep the bro trip as local as possible... meaning in-state.

Stay local

Thanks for the suggestions and valid points regarding covid. Yes, most of us are from Idaho and maybe I've become out of touch with how the rest of the world is treating it. Sadly there are many people here in this state that still don't believe in it. I figured skiing (outdoor activity) and no bars etc was reasonable and for what its worth most everyone has been vaccinated (healthcare) or has had it. Fair enough tho

Good idea- We're the highest (per capita) in the state. You guys could cause your own spike. Try not to come during a holiday - then you'll really stand out.

CK

Thanks for the suggestions and valid points regarding covid. Yes, most of us are from Idaho and maybe I've become out of touch with how the rest of the world is treating it. Sadly there are many people here in this state that still don't believe in it. I figured skiing (outdoor activity) and no bars etc was reasonable and for what its worth most everyone has been vaccinated (healthcare) or has had it. Fair enough tho
    There is no right answer. I'm not traveling but plenty of people are. The failicy is that there is some line of acceptable behavior. And then, people fight about self justifying where the line should be. The reality is that every human interaction makes the pandemic worse. Everyone avoided makes the pandemic better.

My priorities are keep kids in school, respect health care workers and high risk individuals and lay low until everyone that wants it has been vaccinated.

for what its worth most everyone has been vaccinated (healthcare) or has had it.

o
    Just an FYI.
    I spoke with a health care administrator this week and she said they are seeing increasing rates of reinfection.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...isn-t-n1256898

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Avoided tragedy?

There was an avalanche fatality on Monday of this week.
    My bad, the snow bike fatality is tragic. I guess I was thinking skiing. No idea if a snow bike is a more or less a likely trigger than a skier.