Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Ski/mountain related wedding gift?

I'm gonna be the best man in my buddy's wedding next fall. It makes sense to get he and his fiance an actual gift and not just cash right?

He lives in Big Sky. She lives in Vail now and is moving up this way shortly. My gut instinct is to try to find an old chairlift from Vail that they could hang on their porch. I could put their wedding date on it with some kind of nice custom plaque. I'm guessing If I manage to find an actual chair from Vail that it would be in rough shape and I would love to spend the time sanding/refurbing/painting/putting some real nice teak or something as the new seat area.

Am I off base? Never been a best man before.

Truth is they really don't look that nice and are uncomfortable. And isn't Vail all six packs by now?

The best gift you can give is not to fuck up the best man speech and insult the bride or her parents, but yet still be entertaining and funny for 5 minutes. I would get started on the speech ASAP. Have someone who knows her family look the speech over carefully for any hidden insults you may not be aware of.

Perhaps get them a Bitcoin? It's all the rage now that the gov't is no longer selling paper EE bonds.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Put them on the lottery for a Grand Canyon rafting trip. It took my friend’s wedding party almost 20 years to get their ticket called but they had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Truth is they really don't look that nice and are uncomfortable. And isn't Vail all six packs by now?

The best gift you can give is not to fuck up the best man speech and insult the bride or her parents, but yet still be entertaining and funny for 5 minutes. I would get started on the speech ASAP. Have someone who knows her family look the speech over carefully for any hidden insults you may not be aware of.

Perhaps get them a Bitcoin? It's all the rage now that the gov't is no longer selling paper EE bonds.
    I would find an old double or triple. I know they aren't comfortable, but they look cool on your porch.

I can nail the speech, and the groom has been on the forefront of Crypto since 2013. He is a professional in the space. He doesn't need more BTC haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Put them on the lottery for a Grand Canyon rafting trip. It took my friend’s wedding party almost 20 years to get their ticket called but they had a blast.
    That's not how it works any more. That info is almost 20 years old. It is an annual lottery now.

Phish, it probably depends on their station in life. If they are financially secure and you've got the time and money to put into something cool and timeless, have at it. We were pretty tight money wise when we got married so the registry of homey stuff from Target was awesome.

Cash for a honeymoon is timeless. You can forget a toaster but you can't forget a great vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I would find an old double or triple. I know they aren't comfortable, but they look cool on your porch.

I can nail the speech, and the groom has been on the forefront of Crypto since 2013. He is a professional in the space. He doesn't need more BTC haha.
    Ok then I don't need to remind you about not bringing up stories of you, him and his old girlfriend in the speech.

Candlesticks make a nice gift...

How about a jumbo Shotski made from one of those ginormous jumping skis?! It'll be a hit at the reception!

I knew a guy who bought one of the old Stratton gondolas. He said "Hey Timber, you should get one for the Branch Covidian compound."

I looked at him and said, "Jerry, I like you, but you've got fuck all for good taste. And besides, there's curse words scratched into the plexiglass on all those things."

Fast forward a few years. The doors fell off his gondola and it's now laying on it's side in the woods behind his house.

PM KQ.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    That's not how it works any more. That info is almost 20 years old. It is an annual lottery now.
    Well they did get married around ‘95.

So sign em up for the next lottery. Just in case.

3 bottles of wine. One for 1 year anniversary, one for 3 and one for 5 (or do 1/5/10 if they have a good place to store wine)

nice wooden box.

Maybe bottles from some place they have been to, or want to go to?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    3 bottles of wine. One for 1 year anniversary, one for 3 and one for 5 (or do 1/5/10 if they have a good place to store wine)

nice wooden box.

Go Sauternes too so they can build the vertical.

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Keep the ideas coming. I'm out of my element on this one.
    This is the only idea you need.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    PM KQ.
    But your original idea is a great one. That said, from what I have seen old chairs are not cheap. People seem to think they're made of gold or something.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

nice wooden box.

This is a good gift.

I honestly can't remember what my BM got us for our wedding. Same goes for what we got him on his wedding.

But I do remember getting a box of wine.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Are you working on the speech yet?

I don't think I would get them a chair. It sounds like they have some cash, so I'm not sure if it'd go well with their home's architecture, if you now what I mean. And when I say "their" I mean her.

You must know them pretty well, being the best man and all, so maybe you can take a chance on some art. Kinda like the chair in that it's from a favorite place of their's but nicer.
    Take a look at their registry to get some ideas. If they are into wine, the vertical of wine is a nice idea.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Suggestion retracted
    Last edited by johnnyg82; 02-11-2021 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Sobriety ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I like the chairlift idea but they're hard to find. Though less expensive than a BTC.

A lot of what makes a gift good depends on the people. My wife and I tell each other what we want for Christmas every year. It makes more sense to use than making the other person guess. So if the couple is like us, they may want you to get them something off their registry (or cash) rather than an expensive-but-unwanted guess. So get 'em a registry thing and then maybe a small personalized gift.

Other people really appreciate a surprise or guess. All depends on the people.

Phish, if you need an old Vail chair, I can get you one for a reasonable amount. But like you said, it's rough, and you have to transport it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Phish.
    Fantastic idea. Tickets to the gorge, gold or premiere camping, rent them a pimped out RV stocked with all they’ll need for the long weekend

I don't know about the groom, but given that the OP is sober, suggestions about shotskis and wine are probably not the best choice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think that your idea is great. Don’t know what MTM can do but getting them a nice chair refinished will not be cheap. Everything depends upon budget. Matching praxis mvp would be nice. Mountain art is also way cool. But an old vail triple chair would be golden

A peculiar but nice gift would be a really nice 15 inch Swiss cowbell engraved with their names and wedding date
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Both the groom and bride are long time Phish phans and actually met at a Phish show. Perhaps a fat gift cert to Cave B for when Phish plays the Gorge again so they can get primo lodging?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Phish, if you need an old Vail chair, I can get you one for a reasonable amount. But like you said, it's rough, and you have to transport it.
    I will PM you and will gladly pick up said chair in the Vail Valley.