Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves are rad.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Uh...Why the fuck bring a dog backpacking in the first place? And why the fuck are you letting it get into other people's camp? Lots of dumbshit dog owners in the world. Unfortunately the dogs sometimes pay the price.
    Another TGR hot take that makes me question humanity.

From TFA:

"The man who shot Suki, whom the Kolbs declined to identify publicly, said he’d seen her running toward his dog and thought she was a wolf. He told Rob he fired a warning shot in the air before shooting twice at Suki with a .44. Once he saw Suki’s collar, he realized he’d made a grave mistake."

"“He did all the right things after the big wrong thing,” including paying for Suki’s vet bills, Rob said.

The group of men even offered to carry the 100-pound dog out of the backcountry, but she managed to hike 3.5 miles and more than 1,200 vertical feet out to the road.

The man who shot Suki drove the Kolb family to their vehicle, which was farther from the trailhead, and they raced back to Ketchum to get her medical attention. "

“The shooter feels really remorseful … I think we changed his life,”

OK so the idiot gun owner is in his own camp at night and sees this giant 100lbs dog closing on his lil fifi, shot first and asked questions later.
    This coulda been prevented by the idiot big dog owner not letting his dog roam other campsites unsupervised in the middle of the night!

The dogs are the only innocents in this. Glad the dog is relatively minimally injured for getting hit with two rounds from a .44!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If I shot every rando large dog that ran up to me and or my dogs, I'd have shot a shit load of dogs. But I haven't, and, by some slim chance I guess, none of those were wolves either.

Seems like homie may have used poor judgement here... Not a whole lot of solo wolves roaming around campgrounds where multiple vehicles, families and dogs are present, IME.

The fucking article points out it was 8:30 in the morning
    Around 7:30 the next morning, Rob got up to use the bathroom. He noticed it was raining, so he returned to the tent for some more shut-eye. Suki, who’d left the tent with him, stayed outside.
    About an hour later, Rob said in a phone interview, the Kolbs were awakened by a gunshot that was “crazy close.” Two more shots rang out in rapid succession.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    If I shot every rando large dog that ran up to me and or my dogs, I'd have shot a shit load of dogs. But I haven't, and, by some slim chance I guess, none of those were wolves either.

Seems like homie may have used poor judgement here... Not a whole lot of solo wolves roaming around campgrounds where multiple vehicles, families and dogs are present, IME.

It was 3.5 miles from a trailhead, and it was raining so hard to say what kind of visibility.

Update story w pics.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...og-after-mist/

Sounds like the other campers were lucky that the dog took bullets to the head, and not the other campers.

Also, I was taught that as a responsible firearm user, you should be 100% certain of what you were shooting at (and what was beyond it). That right there, would not have passed the old "is that fat ass dog-lookin thing in a populated campground a wolf or not" test.

These two things can be true at the same time:

1) if you own a dog, especially a big one like a malamute, you need to control your animal and be aware of its location

2) firing into the air and closing your eyes while shooting at a dog (because you suspect it may be a wolf) is gross fire arm negligence. this person shouldn't carry

With Idaho's fear mongering to wolves and the right saying the answer to most things is having a gun, welp this is a predictable situation. I dunno if the malamute was approaching or chasing the shooter's dog, but I can understand that guys concern. For real - who doesn't want to protect their own dog? Recognize that any dog owner knows that 99 out of 100 of these encounters are benign. If I shot every wondering camp dog over the life of my last dog, there'd be body pile a 1000 deep. Completely unnecessary.

Mixing ignorance, fear and weapons is a bad combo - being educated and trained in exercising judgement is where you need to put your capital. Buying the weapon is the easy part - that's the beginning of your work.

This story could be titled “When Idiots Collide”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I threatened that Wolf fuck from the beavers with a .44. Took the Dragons +2.5 and made a little dough.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Sounds like the other campers were lucky that the dog took bullets to the head, and not the other campers.

Also, I was taught that as a responsible firearm user, you should be 100% certain of what you were shooting at (and what was beyond it). That right there, would not have passed the old "is that fat ass dog-lookin thing in a populated campground a wolf or not" test.

Why do you insist that it was a "populated campground"?

How do you know what was down range from the dog?

I get the fact that you want to make the shooter look as bad as possible, but making shit up to fit your thinking is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post

1) if you own a dog, especially a big one like a malamute, you need to control your animal and be aware of its location

2) firing into the air and closing your eyes while shooting at a dog (because you suspect it may be a wolf) is gross fire arm negligence. this person shouldn't carry

With Idaho's fear mongering to wolves and the right saying the answer to most things is having a gun, welp this is a predictable situation. I dunno if the malamute was approaching or chasing the shooter's dog, but I can understand that guys concern. For real - who doesn't want to protect their own dog? Recognize that any dog owner knows that 99 out of 100 of these encounters are benign. If I shot every wondering camp dog over the life of my last dog, there'd be body pile a 1000 deep. Completely unnecessary.

Mixing ignorance, fear and weapons is a bad combo - being educated and trained in exercising judgement is where you need to put your capital. Buying the weapon is the easy part - that's the beginning of your work.

Pretty much agree w what you say but 99 out of 100 encounters don't occur 3.5 miles from the trail head with each party possibly not being aware of the other's presence.

North fork lake doesn’t look like the place another party could hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    1) if you own a dog, especially a big one like a malamute, you need to put a bright yellow & black vest on it that says "Don't shoot me Pussy"

2) Being a dumb fuck gun owner in I-da-hoe does not give you the right to shoot your gun at anything other than other gun fags

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

We've been hearing wolves howl at least once a week lately which is pretty cool. The other night it was pretty close. The coyotes less often.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

My neighbor carries a sidearm when he walks in the morning because he saw a mountain lion once, 17 years ago, " and those damn things kill for the hell of it".

Just a huge FUCK YOU to Wisconsin. Where the hell is Jer? He needs to be defending the critters. A third of the wolves in WI have been killed since they lost protected status. Wolves have killed maybe 2 people in the last 20 years, so why are they so hated? Fucking people. I hope all those hunters die of ass cancer.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A guy on YouTube has a video series on a terrarium that has been sealed for 12 years. Biodiversity was lost over time and the number of remaining plant and animal species ebb and flow in number in constant readjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Very interesting. Isle Royale fascinates me and I would love to go there one day.
    I still call it The Jake.

Idaho just passed a law that allows hunters to use any means (baiting, chasing on snowmobiles, night vision, trapping, snaring) with the stated goal of killing 90% of the states wolves.

You're about three months behind the conversation. It hasn't become any less ridiculous though.

Those all seem like totally manly ways of hunting.

Fuck I Da Hoe Thank Dog I read 2 breeding pairs have had pups in CA. I hope CA keeps them safe.

Wolves back in Giant Sequoia National Monument after 100 year absence. Pretty cool; hope ranchers and limp dick shoot shovel shut-up hunters don't fuck it up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/af...nt/ar-AA1fYRWf

While not wolves (today) Montana seems like a really shitty place to be if you’re a cool animal with all these limp dicks running around shooting shit.

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/202...ment-says.html