using 9523 boots in WTR bindings

this has probably been discussed somewhere but i couldn't find a thread on it.

i've got some hoji frees and some older guardian 16 WTRs. i know it isn't recommended to use 9523 in WTR bindings but if the toe height is adjustable, can't it work? what are the consequences? altered release values?
    swing your fucking sword.

Non sliding AFD and a rubber boot sole will make for a harder lateral release. Especially in a forward twisting fall.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Non sliding AFD and a rubber boot sole will make for a harder lateral release. Especially in a forward twisting fall.
    gotcha. so i should get rid of the guardians you think?

Yer gonna die!

I did Maestrale RSs as well as Salomon MTN Labs in Look SPXs and then Salomon Wardens. The SPXs were WTR and didn't ever really feel right. The Wardens are fully adjustable and I was able to get the right height. I'm sure it's not perfect with the rubber soles but it feels and skis good enough. I haven't had a crash that might result in a release in the yet to verify, and hopefully it stays that way...

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    gotcha. so i should get rid of the guardians you think?
    Not necessarily, just know that they will just release harder in certain scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Yer gonna die!

I did Maestrale RSs as well as Salomon MTN Labs in Look SPXs and then Salomon Wardens. The SPXs were WTR and didn't ever really feel right. The Wardens are fully adjustable and I was able to get the right height. I'm sure it's not perfect with the rubber soles but it feels and skis good enough. I haven't had a crash that might result in a release in the yet to verify, and hopefully it stays that way...
    good to know. i think i'll hold on to em for now and try it out.

did you set toe height to regular .5mm of clearance or do something different with the rubber soles?

Salomon sold a touring binding that was not meant to be used with a touring boot?

I've never had a Guardian. That seems bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

good to know. i think i'll hold on to em for now and try it out.

did you set toe height to regular .5mm of clearance or do something different with the rubber soles?
    I did 1 ikon pass thickness under the toe.

using 9523 boots in WTR bindings

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Salomon sold a touring binding that was not meant to be used with a touring boot?

No.
    Salomon sold a binding that was meant to allow sufferfest touring in DIN boots

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    No.
    Salomon sold a binding that was meant to allow sufferfest touring in DIN boots
    this exactly. really pulled some marker shit on these.

i think it was because all of their touring boots at the time were either GW or 5355 soled so they said fuck everyone else.

this exactly. really pulled some marker shit on these.
    But all the Duke and Baron frame bindings were fine with touring soles, so...? At least I think they were, as that's what I used in mine, until I finally got some Dynafits.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I wouldn't do it if the afd doesn't slide. The rubber is going to grip way too well on the plastic compared to a plastic on plastic in my opinion. Injuries are way more expensive than new bindings not to mention a giant bummer. You do you tho.

But all the Duke and Baron frame bindings were fine with touring soles, so...? At least I think they were, as that's what I used in mine, until I finally got some Dynafits.
    they were. i just meant in the sense of failed product rollout and defect.

My memory is sketchy.

Wasn't the Warden toe/sliding AFD leveraged from the Guardian?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I believe 1st gen Guardians were WTR with fixed AFD and 2nd gen MNC with a sliding AFD.
    Anyway I remember using some of those WTR ones with the rubber touring soles that came with the fluoro green Lupos (belive they were 9523, though they did have some nubs in a harder rubber). They did release and my tib/fibs are intact. Never did bench test them though.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My memory is sketchy.

Wasn't the Warden toe/sliding AFD leveraged from the Guardian?

... Thom
    The early Guardians didn't have a sliding AFD, but the rest of the toe didn't really change when they went to the sliding AFD. The Warden toe is indeed the newer MNC Guardian toe, repurposed.