Most common binding screws?

I'm putting together a backcountry ski repair kit.

Looking to get some binding screws.

What are the sizes which are most likely to be useful if one of my buddies blows out of his binding?

I don't want to carry every possible size, so I'm hoping that there are two or three sizes that account for most binding screws.

Also, do most binding screws take a #3 pozi screwdriver head?

Dynafit likes T20 screws but most others are #3 pozi.

It's pretty tough to pick any particular "most common" sizes for every binding out there. A lot of bindings even use a bunch of different sizes. Maybe pick a few that work for what you and a couple of your most regular partners ski, it's tough to do much better than that without carrying a whole workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I'm putting together a backcountry ski repair kit.

Looking to get some binding screws.

What are the sizes which are most likely to be useful if one of my buddies blows out of his binding?

I don't want to carry every possible size, so I'm hoping that there are two or three sizes that account for most binding screws.

Also, do most binding screws take a #3 pozi screwdriver head?
    The threads are all the same (5.5x1.8mm), length is usually ~9mm; the heads vary (heels are often panhead). Just bring a few of whatever you need to fix your own bindings, they'll work in a pinch for others (if you dimple their base or trash the base plate of their binding but save them a night out) - the more important thing to figure out is how to get the screws to stay in the ski after a pullout. I have these grippy stainless things I cut into strips that you cram into the hole that seem to work fairly well, YMMV.

Most ski binding screws take a #3 Pozi driver, personally I threw away the T20 screws on my Dynafits and used regular ones (they should have used T25 at least). Make sure you have a Pozi 3 head for your multi-tool.

https://titanstraps.com/shop-straps/

IME blow up a binding & shed parts all over the piste in half a meter of pow, screws are not gona help SO
    just get at least 2 of the longest Titan straps ^^ cuz one won't do it,

i've blown a heelpiece & made down/out by daisy chaining 2 straps, not pretty but you can ski half a meter of pow with 2 straps around your heel

my buddy blew / lost a toepiece & i got him up and out awesumely on 3 straps

so i have taken to carrying 5 straps and I also carry a couple of 5" hose clamps

bindings use PZ3 for sure, look at what other screws are on you binding, I think T-10 & T-25 for my squadron of dynafit, make sure you can actulay reach past your binding with your driver which means you may need a small extension so I check what fits my rig and I check all fasteners on a regular basis

if you get back to a hut carrying all that shit will be handy but on day tour just get yerself out IME
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-11-2021 at 07:42 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In my mind there’s repair kits for day tours and repair kits for multi day trips/huts/ yurts etc. For day trips, if a binding explodes the focus is getting out safely with minimal fuss. You’re probably not going to successfully remount your binding and keep shredding. If you rip out a binding, there’s a good chance most if not all the screw holes will be unusable. A bunch of voile straps should be enough. If you’re going deep in the mountains, Your screws should not be a problem. That’s something everyone should be checking before a big mission.

For multi day trips or yurts, it’s a different calculus. You can invest in a helicoil kit and remount at the yurt. Have the conversation with your crew in advance for everyone to bring yer own screws. Even better, install threaded inserts such as binding freedom ahead of time. That reduces risk of pulling a binding out (ask tele skiers ) and if you carry a spare heel and toe, you can easily swap the binding out if the binding itself breaks.

On a side note: make sure you go through your bindings, boots etc and make sure you have a driver for every fastener you bring in the backcountry. I was on an overnight trip in December and my maestrale rs cuff broke when removing my liner (still with scarpa for warranty). I was able to move a buckle to a different part of the cuff but the buckle required a 2mm Allen. I only had a 2.5mm. Luckily we had a split boarder in our group (lol) who had a spark r&d multitool that had the right driver. Totally saved the trip.

i have 3 binding setups ( 2 verts and a rad) which are virtualy the same so i can take a complete heel piece on trips as spare which i did on the japan trip cuz who wants to try fixing/ sourcing a binding in a furin country where they don't speak engrish?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-11-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know