Ok, now I have to ask how much I can bend a Marker brake

Lovely wife has decided on teal Squires. Teal only comes in 90mm and 110mm brakes. Skis are 96. If they were Looks I'd just get the 90mm ones and stretch them to fit 96mm skis, but I've never used Marker so I'm not sure how much I'd be pushing my luck (same brake as the Jester, Griffon, etc.) It's either this or getting her the Attack13s in teal/purple 110 brakes and buying new 95 brakes for them.

How will 90mm marker brakes do on 96mm skis? And it can't look totally janky or I'll catch shit.

Sometimes my life is less easy than it could be. Finding fucking teal clamps is not easy. But as we discussed before, I don't have to ever buy jewelry, so this is better.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    They don’t. Gotta bend em. 90mm marker brakes barely fit over 90mm skis, especially in shorter lengths. You shouldn’t have to get too crazy with it to keep them from hanging up on the topsheet.

You can bend em, or marker started making a 100mm royal family brake this year.

https://www.outdoorxl.com/marker-bra...MaAuWeEALw_wcB

as sfb has noted previously, all marker issues can be solved by not using marker products.
    swing your fucking sword.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'll give ya that 95 brake for the tyrolia
    And another marker if ya break them bending
    The tyros a better more dependable binding
    Imho
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Just get your retailer to swap the 90mm brakes for 100mm.

Yeah yeah. Well, I decided the Attack 13s were a bit too much DIN for the aforementioned 114lb lovely wife, so I ordered the squires (she has never accidentally pulled out of her clamps.) I've only run Look before so I don't know how thrilled I am with the Markers, but it's done, and she gets the color she wants. Closest place I could find them (in fucking teal) was Evo unfortunately so no local shop switch out of brakes.

I'll try the bend, and if they snap I guess I'll order some damn 100 replacement brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'll give ya that 95 brake for the tyrolia
    And another marker if ya break them bending
    The tyros a better more dependable binding
    Imho
    I do not disagree. Shit. But I'm stuck. I might have to hit you up if they brake.

But I guess in the end spending time shopping for pretty gear is better than if I had to spend time and money on earrings.

ill look for a pair of royal 100 brakes for ya
    we may haz
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ill look for a pair of royal 100 brakes for ya
    we may haz
    Thanks SFB.

i found a white pair if that works

leave em at the millcreek store w/ my name on em and ill mount n swap em fer ya
    as a community enhancement hafu

My experience is it's always easy whenever I bend Royal brakes, because I have a table vise and a pipe. I've even widened 90mm brakes to become 125mm, no problem. Takes more force than bending Salomon brakes, but not hard if you have a table vise and pipe.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Let me semi-necro this thread.

I picked up some FX95HP's with Marker Griffon ID Demos on them, but the guy has 90mm brakes on them.
    And as EWG says, they're just super dang tight. (The metal arms are totally snug against the sidewalls.)

They do deploy (pretty much), though and ice or other impediment might make them so they don't. (Which would be a very large problem.)

He doesn't have any 100mm arms, just 110's.
    Suggestions? Should I find someone with a bench vice and bend them, or get the 110 arms - 7mm overhang on each side doesn't seem too crazy.

If I try to bend them in the vice, how does one grab the base of the arm. There's not even enough room to fit a vice-grip on the body side of the arm to hold it. I don't see how the vice is going to make it.

Here's a pic of one side - you can see where it's been rubbing against the sidewall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211101_102030.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	391186

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Let me semi-necro this thread.

I picked up some FX95HP's with Marker Griffon ID Demos on them, but the guy has 90mm brakes on them.
    And as EWG says, they're just super dang tight. (The metal arms are totally snug against the sidewalls.)

They do deploy (pretty much), though and ice or other impediment might make them so they don't. (Which would be a very large problem.)

He doesn't have any 100mm arms, just 110's.
    Suggestions? Should I find someone with a bench vice and bend them, or get the 110 arms - 7mm overhang on each side doesn't seem too crazy.

If I try to bend them in the vice, how does one grab the base of the arm. There's not even enough room to fit a vice-grip on the body side of the arm to hold it. I don't see how the vice is going to make it.

Here's a pic of one side - you can see where it's been rubbing against the sidewall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211101_102030.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	391186

just stand the ski on its tip and have the top sheet facing you, put your knee on the toe piece and grab the bottoms of the brakes on both sides with your hands and bend. 7mm on each side isn’t insane but you can definitely make that 90mm work. I had 90mm on my 100mm justice, and I had a 110 on my nocta before I put my pts on them. I use a 100 on my atris.

the pipe trick sliding over the brake works well, I usually use a chunk of ski pole as the pipe, after I hit the pipe of course. I have never had to put them in a vise. I mean it’s just a tiny piece of metal. It doesn’t take much to bend them.

taking a bunch of the plastic off with a dremel is one of my
    favorites. Just shave that shit down, you gain room right there anyway. I dunno though.

you know if you don’t fall you don’t need brakes correct?!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    taking a bunch of the plastic off with a dremel is one of my
    favorites. Just shave that shit down, you gain room right there anyway. I dunno though.

you know if you don’t fall you don’t need brakes correct?!
    Instant clearance but does shaving a bunch of plastic off the brake arms make the plastic break easier ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Seemed to work ok with me as long as I left a decent amount around the metal arm. If you shave it down to the metal I think that would be a problem.

Also, I think Look brakes are easier to bend than Marker's, but maybe that's just me. I snapped the pair of marker brakes referenced in the thread below and bought new ones, wider. FWIW

The metal in some brakes really was not meant to bend which makes sense cuz you don't want these bending in use,

I think I tried tried with the deadbolt 13 arms and decided pretty quick I was going to have to buy new brake assemblies

I bent the arms on 977 demo binding a whole bunch using a vise & vise grips to go from 65mm to 100+ which involved straightening the arm completely, putting a 2 bends in the arm to profile the edge of ski top to be wider and also put the arm down as far as possible in to the snow once it was deployed cuz once you widen brakes that much you also effectively shorten the arms a bunch

7TM brake arms were super easy, I was away from any tools, all i had was a long handled splitting axe and a stump so just hit that arm at the 90 degree bend and bob's yer uncle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

@SoVT Joey
    Have you bent a current Marker?
    The reason I ask is the arms are quite stout, and every time I've messed with current binding/brake arms, it looks like they'll explode the housing if one was to put enough force to actually bend them much.

Perhaps I'm just too worried about blowing them up, and should just do it. But it sure doesn't seem like these will bend without destroying the housing. (Older brakes - yeah the diameter of the arms was small, and they'd bend pretty easily. But not these.

^^ have done this successfully with old solly brake arms. no experience with new markers. GL, let us know how it goes!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    @SoVT Joey
    Have you bent a current Marker?
    The reason I ask is the arms are quite stout, and every time I've messed with current binding/brake arms, it looks like they'll explode the housing if one was to put enough force to actually bend them much.

Perhaps I'm just too worried about blowing them up, and should just do it. But it sure doesn't seem like these will bend without destroying the housing. (Older brakes - yeah the diameter of the arms was small, and they'd bend pretty easily. But not these.
    Don't go crazy with it, but it's plenty easy to get ~10mm out of a newer Marker brake. Top of a ski pole like Joey mentioned is the classic backshop brake bender, I like to leave the boot in the binding to (hopefully) reduce pressure on the brake housing, just hit it from the back (TWSS). If you need to make a small adjustment, just get your dick beaters on it and bend the damn things.

Let me pipe back in here, just to update.

Binding in question: Marker Griffon ID with the big tail-piece heel, not the new TC version or whatever it's called. (I think they're all the same, but just in case.)

I had some 3/4" copper pipe hanging around, so cut a length to bend with.
    I was able to get a few MM out of them - just splaying them out a bit.

But I'd be really pressed to get 5mm+.
    The arms want to bend out of the housing and I think forcing it more would likely destroy the brake itself. They just don't bend all that well - the arms on the ID's are thick-enough that I think you'd need a vice to do much more than just a little.

Also, there's not much plastic on the inside of the arms that hangs up on the skis - at least not the 90mm ones. So, you have to bend the metal, not shave plastic if you want to get more clearance. (I did some, IIRC Attack2 demo's a while back, and in that case, shaving plastic was pretty effective. That's not the case here.)

TLDR; On the Marker ID Griffon, 90mm brake, you can get 95mm out of it, but without a vice and substantial work, not much more at all. (IME; i.e. actually trying on a pair in the last week.)