First 20-21 season fatality in WA

The snowpack in the PNW has gotten complex in the last couple weeks due to a PWL developing over most of the region. We've had several close calls and was it probably only a matter of time before this happened.

I didn't know the party but RIP. Somber season across the US this year.

2/8/21
    Preliminary avalanche incident information: Two snow bike riders were caught and buried by a very large avalanche in the mountains west of Salmon la Sac Sno-Park along Cle Elum Lake. One snow biker was partially buried and was able to dig himself out. The other rider was fully buried and killed by the avalanche. The avalanche occurred on a north aspect at 4400 ft in the Knox Creek drainage. This terrain lies in NWAC’s East Central forecast zone. Avalanche classification: HS-AV-R3-D3-O.

https://nwac.us/accident-reports/

Sounds like the victim was a long time WA State Patrolman. The thing that was interesting in that photo is how close the crown was to the bottom of the cliff. I wonder if there was enough sloughing close to the cliff to make a thicker slab?

Sheesh, that's what all the recent slides are starting to look like just about everywhere. No deeper than about 1 foot, but the faceted layer that formed before the last large storm isn't being taken very seriously. Most everyone seems to be concerned about the deeper PWL that's not terribly reactive at this point.

Its pretty scary out there. Saw a lot of tracks on highland bowl in the stevens side country yesterday from skyline, and I kept thinking about this incident and the Jim Hill avy. I got an ECTN at yodelin, and talked to someone else who saw similar results this past weekend, it seems the layer is not super reactive and probably is leading people to make riskier decisions. I worry about the holiday coming up

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Sheesh, that's what all the recent slides are starting to look like just about everywhere. No deeper than about 1 foot, but the faceted layer that formed before the last large storm isn't being taken very seriously. Most everyone seems to be concerned about the deeper PWL that's not terribly reactive at this point.
    Report confirms that it failed on the PWL about 4-5 feet deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_3...ture=emb_title